Author Topic: BA on Clark and Alaniz  (Read 2239 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
BA on Clark and Alaniz
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:52:37 pm »
It's behind the pay wall, so if you have access would enjoy hearing the highlights from BA's article on Clark and Alaniz
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: BA on Clark and Alaniz
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:06 pm »
I would enjoy just hearing who Clark and Alaniz are.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:33:57 pm »
Both went undrafted, but signed with the Astros recently.

Ruben (RJ) Alaniz was an undrafted RHP from Juarez-Lincoln High School in La Joya TX that the Astros signed for $160,000.  McTaggart on the Alaniz signing.  Or you can read about it in the Bus Ride as well... 

On Kirk Clark (from Zach Levine's blog at the Chronicle):

Kirk Clark, like Ruben Alaniz, is an undrafted player who will have a chance to make it with the Astros.  The Astros won a bidding battle and signed Clark for $50,000 out of the Alaskan Summer League, where he was scouted by Northwest area scout Paul Gale. "He's a guy that we saw up to 94 with a solid changeup," Heck said. "Breaking ball needs to be tinkered with. We saw the guy as a prospect and having good value." Clark, a late-bloomer who played collegiate ball at Creighton, was assigned to short-season A Tri-City, where he is pitching in relief.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:20:24 pm »
Thanks. I remember, now, hearing about one of those- you'd think I'd have remembered Alaniz, having the same name and all... Don't see either pitcher on the GCL- or Greenville-Stros rosters, though- I do wonder what BA's article was about.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 02:14:47 am »
Kirk Clark has been pitching for the ValleyCats: STATS

W  L    ERA    G    GS    CG   SHO    SV      IP      H     R     ER    HR    BB    SO     GO/AO     AVG
1  0    2.12   9     0      0      0       0     17.0    12     4     4      2       3     19       1.14      .211

Per the McTaggart blog RJ Aliniz (sports video clip) "will report to the Gulf Coast League Astros in Kissimmee, Fla., on Monday [August 15]."  I agree that he doesn't seem to be on the roster though.

Russe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:54:32 am »
There's no new info...basically the same stuff in Tag's/Levine's articles.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 03:37:29 pm »
The instructional league will be starting in about a week in Kissimmee I bet both will be there for that.
Always ready to go to a game.