Author Topic: John's and Lombardi's  (Read 1258 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
John's and Lombardi's
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:35:50 pm »
Ok, so we tried both Johns and Lombardis this week.

John's on Bleeker is a cool mom n pop pizza dive.  Staff was friendly and helpful.   Pizza came out quickly and was outstanding NY pizza.  Thin crust, great taste, excellent sauce but not overdone, good toppings not overwhelming the pizza.   Don't do slices, which is kind of annoying, but hey.   Really liked John's, the pizza and the place, but it's like everyone seems to say here when you ask where the best slice/pie is.....that's irrelevant.   The best pie on earth could be in Brooklyn, but you'll never know because if you want a perfectly good pizza, there's one down the street from you, where ever you happen to be.   That being said, if you're in the Village, I would recommend John's.

Did Lombardi's today and was immediately disappointed in the fact that it's just a giant shrine to itself.   It's a gift shop that happens to sell pizza to tourists.   Now, it's GOOD pizza (much better cheese than John's, but that was it).   Service is rushed and unattentive.   Did you buy a Lombardi's Tshirt yet?   Why not?   Get out of the doorway then sir, you're blocking other tourists.   Insanely expensive.  $58 for 2 adults and 1 child and all we ordered was pizza and tea.   If I lived in NoLiTa and wanted delivery, I'd give it another shot, but there are way too many good pizzerias here to go be part of the Disneyland crowd at Lombardi's.   Glad I did it once, though.

Did find a sweet little gem this week though for anyone in the Village.   A really poorly named New York Hot Dog and Coffee.   Not exactly exciting, but for those who have eaten there, you know it's actually Korean.   You must, absolutely must go get one of the Korean BBQ and Kimchi dogs.   Holy shit that was awesome.   It's a big ol' cart dog covered (COV.  ERED.) in Korean bbq'd steak and kimchi. 

I still think Waldy's is the best pizza I've had and the best dog so far is Korean dog.   Hot dog.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: John's and Lombardi's
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:21:36 pm »
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 05:51:32 pm »
You're welcome.

Hey, hey.  Keep your pillow talk in the closet please.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 05:58:19 pm »
You're welcome.

Genius is knowing who to steal your material from.

I stole that line from Milton Berle.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:02:58 am »
There are several places around town here in Austin that sell pizza, not as good as you can get in New York City, but it's only deminished by the law of inverse proximity. The same law that makes a Mexican's cooking get worse the further away from Mexico he goes, holds true for the New york pizza chef.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit