Author Topic: Astros looking to add, Roy and Coop aren't BFFEs  (Read 1566 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Astros looking to add, Roy and Coop aren't BFFEs
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:28:24 am »
Baseball insider: Astros will add, not subtract

Astros looking to add folks:

According to one of the top executives and most respected men in baseball, the Astros are not in the mode to trade any of their players, most notably Roy Oswalt.

***"Mr. McLane will be more prone to adding to his team rather than trading his present players away." The executive added, "I read your blog and whoever told you Houston will continue moving Oswalt just wasn't correct." 

"Mr. McLane believes in his management team," said the source. "And his players are someone who he believes in as well. I doubt that you'll see [the Astros] ever trading players just to save salary."

Roy and Coop ain't BFFEs

The source, however, did not deny that there are rumblings that Oswalt and manager Cecil Cooper have had problems with each other recently.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Astros looking to add, Roy and Coop aren't BFFEs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:31:31 am »
It's groundhog day

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:33:23 am »
Motherfucker.  PAM!!!!

Andyzipp

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:34:38 am »
Awesome...so Tal Smith is talking to the media.  Perfect.

ferret

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:13:09 pm »
Baseball insider: Astros will add, not subtract

***"Mr. McLane will be more prone to adding to his team rather than trading his present players away." The executive added, "I read your blog and whoever told you Houston will continue moving Oswalt just wasn't correct." 

Jerome Solomon got a hold of the Roy "story" and added it to the low attendance story and, now that McTaggart is gone,  is taking up the slack at the Chron, that or he smells read meat.   Today's story Link postulates

"There hasn’t been much fun had at Minute Maid Park this season. That, as much as the economy, is why...(attendance is down.)"

Losing or the economy?

change in attendance as measured by percentage of available seats sold compared to latest (March) city unemployment rates

Houston -12.2 /6.5
St Louis -4.5 / 9.4
Milwaukee -1.1 / 9.0
Chicago -3 / 9.4
LA -4.3 /10.6

I think it's the losing.  Then there's the thing about Roy.  Solomon wrote

"both seasons since his 30th birthday Oswalt has gotten off to slow starts. There wasn’t anything wrong, he says, it just took awhile for him to get going."

except Oswalt admitted he has had lower back pain for the past several years. He had a cortisone shot in ST in 2007 and in 2008 a shot in early July.

"All the grumbling and rumors about Oswalt being available in a trade and Oswalt not willing to accept a deal to the White Sox, are enough to give Astros fans a giant headache."

Not really, because anyone who follows the Astros could have told you, that the Astros aint trading Roy, even before ESPN Insider got the story

further he says "When legitimate sources put out word that a player is willing to entertain trade discussions, there is a problem."

Maybe Solomon will pick it up as he goes along but cell phone calls into the wilderness are hardly "legitimate sources" if the team has no intention of trading Oswalt.

Andyzipp

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:17:59 pm »
Jerome Solomon got a hold of the Roy "story" and added it to the low attendance story and, now that McTaggart is gone,  is taking up the slack at the Chron, that or he smells read meat.   Today's story Link postulates

"There hasn’t been much fun had at Minute Maid Park this season. That, as much as the economy, is why...(attendance is down.)"

Losing or the economy?

change in attendance as measured by percentage of available seats sold compared to latest (March) city unemployment rates

Houston -12.2 /6.5
St Louis -4.5 / 9.4
Milwaukee -1.1 / 9.0
Chicago -3 / 9.4
LA -4.3 /10.6

I think it's the losing.  (snipped)

Actual unemployment has little to do with the fear of the economy.  So while I agree the losing is the biggest part, lots of people are squirreling money because of the fear.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:18:33 pm »
Solomon is a low-rent JdJO wannabe. If he's picking up the slack there's gonna be a whole lot of slack laying around.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 12:19:02 pm »

further he says "When legitimate sources put out word that a player is willing to entertain trade discussions, there is a problem."

Maybe Solomon will pick it up as he goes along but cell phone calls into the wilderness are hardly "legitimate sources" if the team has no intention of trading Oswalt.

His legit source is JdJO.