Author Topic: Berkman  (Read 6448 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Berkman
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:14:34 am »
I did not see the game last night.  Did he look as lost as his line suggests? 

Does one get a Golden Sombrero for 4 K's if they had 5 AB's?
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Noe

Re: Berkman
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:17:10 am »

Yes.  He looked like a guess hitter last night.  He had no pitch recognition.  He, instead, had a guess he was getting pitch "A" and instead got pitch "B" and looked weak swinging the bat.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:21:35 am »
I heard one
AB on the radio where he took a 1-2 fastball down the middle of the plate that got me to wondering if he has always been this much of a guess hitter. Something is making him lock up.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:23:23 am »
that got me to wondering if he has always been this much of a guess hitter.

Hell no.  You have him mixed up with Morgan.  When Berkman is on, I bet the ball looks like a basketball.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:30:05 am »

Berkman wasn't too swift in the field last night, either.
Purity of Essence

Noe

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:40 am »
I heard one
AB on the radio where he took a 1-2 fastball down the middle of the plate that got me to wondering if he has always been this much of a guess hitter. Something is making him lock up.

I don't really see Berkman as a guess hitter.  He has always struck me a player who knew his strikezone (thus he takes quite a bit of walks).  He may argue with umpires about a strike because he knows his zone well.  But last night, he was lost in terms of the zone he has.  So he reverted to guessing and that is when you know a guy is trying too hard.

Don't think, react.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 11:37:33 am »
I don't really see Berkman as a guess hitter.  He has always struck me a player who knew his strikezone (thus he takes quite a bit of walks).  He may argue with umpires about a strike because he knows his zone well.  But last night, he was lost in terms of the zone he has.  So he reverted to guessing and that is when you know a guy is trying too hard.

Don't think, react.

I think Deshaies said he was a career .105 or something against Lilly.  Still, he looks like he isn't having any fun out there.
Purity of Essence

TheWizard

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »
I think Deshaies said he was a career .105 or something against Lilly.  Still, he looks like he isn't having any fun out there.
Maybe someone else can explain this to me.  I don't know how many career ABs Berkman has against Lilly (I'm sure a simple google search would do the job, I'm just lazy), so I don't know how meaningful that .105 is.  But why is it that superior hitters will have one or two pitchers out there that is just their kryptonite?  Why would Berkman have particular trouble against a guy like Ted Lilly?  Is it something like switching him to the right, his release point, type of pitches, or is it just the law of averages.. well.. averaging out?
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:29:05 pm »
Maybe someone else can explain this to me.  I don't know how many career ABs Berkman has against Lilly (I'm sure a simple google search would do the job, I'm just lazy), so I don't know how meaningful that .105 is.  But why is it that superior hitters will have one or two pitchers out there that is just their kryptonite?  Why would Berkman have particular trouble against a guy like Ted Lilly?  Is it something like switching him to the right, his release point, type of pitches, or is it just the law of averages.. well.. averaging out?
Why cant the reds beat Roy?  Why indeed?

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »
maybe berkman is trying the pence approach or cooper has been coaching him.doesnt he go through these funks at least once a season
forever is composed entirely of nows

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:46:00 pm »
I don't know how many career ABs Berkman has against Lilly (I'm sure a simple google search would do the job, I'm just lazy), so I don't know how meaningful that .105 is. 

ESPN says Berkman's 2-for-22 (.091) with one homer, one walk and 7 strikeouts against Lilly. I'm assuming that includes last night's game but I don't know for sure.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 12:48:19 pm »

As Deshaies pointed out, Lilly does well at moving the ball up and down in the zone.  Berkman seemed to be guessing on every pitch.  I'm not so sure that it isn't just a case of being in a funk right now, no disrespect to Lilly.
Purity of Essence

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 01:55:13 pm »

If you ever meet Bob Uecker, ask him about his grand salami off of Sandy Koufax.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Berkman
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:56:37 pm »
Berkman wasn't too swift in the field last night, either.

On his error, he definitely lollygagged his first two steps toward the bag. By the time he remembered to hustle, it was too late. It probably isn't his fault but I'm going to blame it on Cooper anyway. He is damaging Berkman's fragile psyche, making him a basket case in the field as well as at the plate.
E come vivo? Vivo.

outlookdude

• Disappointing Rookie
  • I...am an Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 02:02:10 pm »
I saw a large part of the game and several of Berkman's ABs last night. I am by no means a hitting expert but to me he looked lost. I saw him take two consecutive huge hacks at fastballs around shoulder height. Once doesn't concern me so much. Two times in row….hey, didn't you just see that pitch? It reminded me of one of those Pence ABs that makes everyone crazy. I have never thought of Berkman as a guess hitter. But, lately that seems to be what he looks like. Maybe he is having trouble seeing the ball for some reason. But, it looks more like he is trying to guess his way out of a slump.

Berkman seems to me to be one who thinks he is smarter than everyone else so it wouldn't shock me if he thinks he can out guess the pitcher.

But my best guess would be that Coop told him he was run producer - so just turn on it and pull the ball, boy.
(Babe) Ruth made a great mistake when he gave up pitching. - Tris Speaker

pravata

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:27:36 pm »
Remember last season when whenever anyone asked Roy whether he was hurt he'd say no.  Then when they asked him if he was hurt would he tell anybody, and he said no.  Then he got a cortisone shot in his back and murdered the League.  Remember last night when Lance went diving for a couple of balls at 1b.  HEY LANCE, how's your left shoulder?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 04:18:06 pm »
Remember last season when whenever anyone asked Roy whether he was hurt he'd say no.  Then when they asked him if he was hurt would he tell anybody, and he said no.  Then he got a cortisone shot in his back and murdered the League.  Remember last night when Lance went diving for a couple of balls at 1b.  HEY LANCE, how's your left shoulder?
It seems like Lance dives for a lot of balls at first. Perhaps he's been watching too may Darin Erstad highlight films.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

pravata

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 04:43:44 pm »
It seems like Lance dives for a lot of balls at first. Perhaps he's been watching too may Darin Erstad highlight films.
(End of March) Berkman first irritated his shoulder early in the spring, and apparently a number of recent events aggravated the injury, beginning with a diving play on a Chase Utley grounder...

"...they'll give me a cortisone shot, and it'll knock it out pretty quick. We're going to try not to do that ..."

Berkman met with a team doctor Sunday morning but doesn't think he'll have to undergo an MRI.
Link

No cortisone shot, no MRI, plenty of diving and generally pretending he's a shortstop.  I've seen him raise his arm when asked "who wants ice cream" so probably it's not as bad as it was in ST.

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 06:35:17 pm »
FSSW saying Cooper moved Lance to the 5 spot tonight (Pence 3rd) then Berkman came up w/ a sore wrist and was scratched.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 06:48:21 pm »
i hate to say it but it seems like things are going to hell in a handbag

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 06:49:54 pm »
FSSW saying Cooper moved Lance to the 5 spot tonight (Pence 3rd) then Berkman came up w/ a sore wrist and was scratched.

Lineup posted in the GZ
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 06:51:44 pm »
Always Johnny on the spot you are.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 02:08:25 am »

Good call. That was a horrible win tonight.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 10:52:30 am »
hey i put the fear in them. it worked

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 11:04:27 am »
Our otiose yet lovable Fredia...
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 04:05:17 pm »
Berkman out of Saturday lineup as well. Couldn't go in BP due to the sore wrist. May be out a while. Hurt it Thursday nite on a checked swing.

TheWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 12:29:53 pm »
Trying to pick out whats wrong with his swing...
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/05/nose.jpg
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 04:20:42 pm »
Trying to pick out whats wrong with his swing...
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/05/nose.jpg
That looks like a "hey, look, I'm pickin' my nose!" type of pick right there. Wonder if it was intended for the cameras or just the dugout.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

otterjb

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 09:52:14 pm »

otterjb

• View Profile

Andyzipp

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 09:26:07 pm »
I'm pretty sure you have to be able to keep track of how many outs there are at any given time to be considered a head coach.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 10:31:30 pm »
As if UT would hire a guy who had never coached before. I thought that Bohls' article was just Berkman joking around but Footer latching on to it lends it more credence than it probably should have.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Andyzipp

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 10:42:51 pm »
As if UT would hire a guy who had never coached before. I thought that Bohls' article was just Berkman joking around but Footer latching on to it lends it more credence than it probably should have.
He does tend to overlook the whole coaching experience thing...

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 07:41:39 am »
He does tend to overlook the whole coaching experience thing...

and the degree thing
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 04:17:25 pm »
and the degree thing

Just a minor detail.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius