Author Topic: Oswalt starting day game in DC on Tuesday!  (Read 5917 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Oswalt starting day game in DC on Tuesday!
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:44:41 pm »
Coolness.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Re: Oswalt starting day game in DC on Tuesday!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 05:53:35 pm »
Coolness.
Oh, and, I'd put the chances of getting in tomorrow's game in at around 20%.  Precip chances will start to diminish right around game time in the evening but DC will get over an inch of soaking rain throughout the day tomorrow on top of today's inch of soaking rain.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.  Here's the meteogram:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Washington&state=DC&site=LWX&textField1=38.895&textField2=-77.0373&FcstType=graphical

It updates each 4 hours as you move through time.

Andyzipp

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 05:54:15 pm »
The Astros' bullpen could use a rain-out.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 05:56:46 pm »
The Astros' bullpen could use a rain-out.
That, with Roy pitching 7+ innings on Tuesday would be a good thing, I guess.

I secretly think the potential rainouts may be a way of the BBG's protecting the team from my presence during a period of good play...

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 06:06:46 pm »
In searching for ways to remove a jinx from a person, I came across this gem:

TO BREAK A JINX

Fill your bath at night and open the window so that the moon's rays will Come in and fall on you while you bathe. Put Myrtle leaves, Elderberries, Genitian, and Orange flowers into the bath. Wash yourself completely in the solution, and say the following out loud:

"Oh as I declare,
Cleaning and despair,
I call on you, Oh Goddess of the moon,
Clean me and remove all despair,
As I worship you."

Do this at least three nights in a row, and all jinxes or hexes will be removed. To make it stronger, as you dry yourself off with a fresh towel, stand in the moon's rays and repeat this chant:

"If you believe it, it shall be."

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »

TO BREAK A JINX

Fill your bath at night and open the window so that the moon's rays will Come in and fall on you while you bathe. Put Myrtle leaves, Elderberries, Genitian, and Orange flowers into the bath. Wash yourself completely in the solution, and say the following out loud:

"Oh as I declare,
Cleaning and despair,
As I worship you."

Do this at least three nights in a row, and all jinxes or hexes will be removed. To make it stronger, as you dry yourself off with a fresh towel, stand in the moon's rays and repeat this chant:

Were it not for the fact that I am a dedicated Christ-follower, I'd be filling the bathtub right now.  Instead, I'm dilligently searching out a herd of swine on a nearby hillside to cast this funk into.  I'm guessing some cubs fans would do as well...

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »
Were it not for the fact that I am a dedicated Christ-follower, I'd be filling the bathtub right now.  Instead, I'm dilligently searching out a herd of swine on a nearby hillside to cast this funk into.  I'm guessing some cubs fans would do as well...

I'm a devout Christian too, I just thought that was too funny not to share.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Filo

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:44:09 am »

TO BREAK A JINX

I know how to....oh wait that says break
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:23:45 am by Filo »

Houston

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:37 am »
Oh, and, I'd put the chances of getting in tomorrow's game in at around 20%.  Precip chances will start to diminish right around game time in the evening but DC will get over an inch of soaking rain throughout the day tomorrow on top of today's inch of soaking rain.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.  Here's the meteogram:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Washington&state=DC&site=LWX&textField1=38.895&textField2=-77.0373&FcstType=graphical

Das-

I'll be sitting in Section 116, Row V. Where will you be for tonight's game, assuming it's not rained out.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:30:17 am »

I think one of the more obscure gnostic gospels contains instructions regarding slump busting.  Yes, come to think of it, the surviving fragments of the Gospel of Harold contain the following:

...coming upon the sight of the seer of storms and rain, Dasian lying with a ewe, the disciples grasped stones and pieces of wood to punish the man.  Jesus, calmed those present and asked Dasian why he dost sin?  Dasian replied that when he predicteth rain the sun burns and when he calls for sun, hail falls upon the heads of the chosen.  Jesus then said to his disciples and the gathered crowd, " He that hasn't been in a slump, cast the first stone."  The crowd walked away and Jesus said to Dasian, "There's prettier ewes in Samaria."

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:40:10 am by Taras Bulba »
Purity of Essence

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:18:22 am »
Das-

I'll be sitting in Section 116, Row V. Where will you be for tonight's game, assuming it's not rained out.

Sec. 115, Row F.

Andyzipp

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:19:21 am »
I think one of the more obscure gnostic gospels contains instructions regarding slump busting.  Yes, come to think of it, the surviving fragments of the Gospel of Harold contain the following:

...coming upon the sight of the seer of storms and rain, Dasian lying with a ewe, the disciples grasped stones and pieces of wood to punish the man.  Jesus, calmed those present and asked Dasian why he dost sin?  Dasian replied that he when he predicteth rain the sun burns and when he calls for sun, hail falls upon the heads of the chosen.  Jesus then said to his disciples and the gathered crowd, " He that hasn't been in a slump, cast the first stone."  The crowd walked away and Jesus said to Dasian, "There's prettier ewes in Samaria."

The Book of Grace?

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:20:26 am »

...coming upon the sight of the seer of storms and rain, Dasian lying with a ewe, the disciples grasped stones and pieces of wood to punish the man.  Jesus, calmed those present and asked Dasian why he dost sin?  Dasian replied that he when he predicteth rain the sun burns and when he calls for sun, hail falls upon the heads of the chosen.  Jesus then said to his disciples and the gathered crowd, " He that hasn't been in a slump, cast the first stone."  The crowd walked away and Jesus said to Dasian, "There's prettier ewes in Samaria."

Fantastic.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 12:26:01 pm »

Despite the moderate rain that is about to move through right now, the back edge of the shortwave trough is moving through the West Virginia panhandle right now at around 35mph.  It's looking increasingly likely that they'll ge the game in this evening if the grounds crews can squeegy the field off quickly enough.  It will be pretty dreary and drizzly with spotty showers and temps in the mid-50's though.  A perfect situation for Moehler to come off the DL under.  Stiff knee, slippery mound, good times...

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/gen_nids.cgi?ident=lwx&pl=n0r&yy=2009&mm=&dd=&hh=&nn=Min&size=1280x960&loop=yes2&zoom=&center=

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 01:37:46 pm »
Das - I for one will be rooting for you tonight.  Sure, I'd like to see a solid performance out of Moehler and another notch in the W column, but you're too nice of a guy to go winless for this long.  In fact, it would be nice to see both clubs wear some sort of commemorative cap in your honor.
Or you could go all arts n' crafts on us and bring a poster that reads:

Desperate
for A
     Slumpbuster

Bedazzle that shit, it'll look niiiice.
Go Dasians!
Don't think twice, it's alright.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 01:57:52 pm »
Das - I for one will be rooting for you tonight.  Sure, I'd like to see a solid performance out of Moehler and another notch in the W column, but you're too nice of a guy to go winless for this long.  In fact, it would be nice to see both clubs wear some sort of commemorative cap in your honor.
Or you could go all arts n' crafts on us and bring a poster that reads:

Desperate
for A
     Slumpbuster

Bedazzle that shit, it'll look niiiice.
Go Dasians!

If you staple a few Twizzlers to it also, Lance'll probably come up between innings and autograph/nibble it.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 02:35:45 pm »
If you staple a few Twizzlers to it also, Lance'll probably come up between innings and autograph/nibble it.

It might be safer if he just gave the hat to Lance. I wouldn't want DAS to come up with an ear missing.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 02:46:51 pm »
It might be safer if he just gave the hat to Lance. I wouldn't want DAS to come up with an ear missing.

More likely that DAS would end up in Berkman's back pocket than losing an ear.

"Hey Broc, look what I found in the stands last inning! A person made of candy!"

"Lance, shut the fuck up and get away from me. You're making my hamstring AND brain hurt today."
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 06:57:37 am »
To all who have ears to hear:

DAS is hereby banned from attending Astros game for the foreseeable future. Last night, he couldn't even hold a 4-run lead. A pox upon his season tickets!

Drayton McLane

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 07:00:34 am »
To all who have ears to hear:

DAS is hereby banned from attending Astros game for the foreseeable future. Last night, he couldn't even hold a 4-run lead. A pox upon his season tickets!

Drayton McLane

You could also consider this.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:52 am »
I woke up last night from some sort of crazy fever dream - this is actually true - and saw the outcome of today's game with reasonable clarity. If they get the game in, the Astros will win.... BUT, das must be there for it to happen. Please do not ban him. Today is finally the day. (Or my neurons are misfiring badly, one or the other.)
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:45 am »

TO BREAK A JINX

"Oh as I declare,
Cleaning and despair,
As I worship you."

When I saw "Goddess of the moon", for a second I thought it was a Nick Cave reset.  Wrong type of deity though.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 10:02:10 am »
I'm going to watch Al Gore's Noble Prize acceptance speech in das's honor before heading to the ballpark today.     I'm hoping for a proxy slumpbuster on this one. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 10:04:44 am »
I'm going to watch Al Gore's Noble Prize acceptance speech in das's honor before heading to the ballpark today.     I'm hoping for a proxy slumpbuster on this one. 

that is too big a sacrifice.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 10:05:34 am »

Why don't you cut yourself instead? Both are forms of self-mutilation and cutting is less painful.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 10:19:41 am »
You could also consider this.
Thanks.  At least one person in the mob suggested that the stoning may have been misplaced...

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 10:24:07 am »
Why don't you cut yourself instead? Both are forms of self-mutilation and cutting is less painful.

http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.php?topic=108286.0

According to this thread, tattoos are also forms of self-mutilation.  So, if you aren't into crying in your bedroom while listening to Dashboard Confessional while air guitaring on your forearm with a razorblade, you could just get some "body art."  Perhaps the likeness of Scott Baio on your ass would suffice. 

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 10:27:35 am »

Well, I'm now kind of hoping that it doesn't work so that others won't be tempted to repeat my mistake.   

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 10:36:07 am »
I woke up last night from some sort of crazy fever dream - this is actually true - and saw the outcome of today's game with reasonable clarity. If they get the game in, the Astros will win.... BUT, das must be there for it to happen. Please do not ban him. Today is finally the day. (Or my neurons are misfiring badly, one or the other.)
With that, I am heading to the game in 20 minutes.  I was on the fence but with your vision, I can go in peace.  Awesome.

0-20 is a lonely, lonely place.  Aside from it defying all statistical logic, it's so numbing that I can only harrumph and shrug.

Here's some pics from last night.  
http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt343/das_photos/astros%20-%20nats/

Some thoughts on the game:

- Moehler looked RUSTY in the first two frames.  He settled in very nicely in the middle and really gave me a hope that a repeat of last year may be in the cards.  He simply ran out of gas in the 5th.  Good, good start by him.
- Drizzly days are the best for player/fan interaction.  There are so few people there that the players can approach without getting mobbed.  Unless you are Tejada.
- PENCE! had some serious female fans at the game.  Ms. das does not understand this at all.
- right over the dugout is a tough place to watch the game if you are trying to gage pitches.  I could not tell what was in or out, only high or low.
- Paulino had good velocity.  No control whatsoever.
- when Fulchino went down covering home, I kinda though he'd stay down.  He's a big boy and not very nimble.
- my daughter got sigs on her baseball from:  Byrdak, Smith, Dewey Robinson (cool!), Wright, Matsui, Pence!, Keppinger, Tejada and Michaels.
- Lee flipped her a ball after the 7th(?) inning flyout to Bourn to end the inning as he was going into the dugout.  She was estatic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:43:47 am by das »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 10:39:27 am »
Moehler pitched very well. his one bad pitch to Dukes in the 5th started the snowball down the hill. Wright must throw strikes, and if they insist on using Paulino in relief, do not put him in with men on base until he gets settled into that role. Paulino struck out Zimmerman. twice. after that he was shaky, and i don't blame him.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 11:44:07 am »
Moehler pitched very well. his one bad pitch to Dukes in the 5th started the snowball down the hill. Wright must throw strikes, and if they insist on using Paulino in relief, do not put him in with men on base until he gets settled into that role. Paulino struck out Zimmerman. twice. after that he was shaky, and i don't blame him.

Of course your advice is spot on, but Cooper will insist on putting him in pressure situations before he gets used to it and then get pissed off and dog him in the press when he doesn't deliver.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius