Author Topic: Valverde to the DL  (Read 2021 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Valverde to the DL
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:50 pm »
Per JD and Brownie, Valverde has been retroactively placed on the DL (eligible to return on May 12).  Fulchino will be recalled.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

jonbloozy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Valverde to the DL
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:29 pm »
Per JD and Brownie, Valverde has been retroactively placed on the DL (eligible to return on May 12).  Fulchino will be recalled.

Didn't they just send Fulchino back to Round Rock?  Guess he's coming back.
I say smorgasbord!

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:26:19 pm »

Yo-Yo Fulchino
Always ready to go to a game.

Noe

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »

Players sometimes are told not to travel back to the minors but to hang around and wait the three days they have to report.  One time, Lance Berkman was up with the team (in 1999) and he was in Houston because Carl Everett was on the DL (and by the way, the reason why Berkman was not considered for the ROY in 2000, he spent too much time in Houston in 1999 and lost his rookie status).  Everett was due to come back off the DL so Berkman was sent down to New Orleans.  Hunsicker though told him to stay in Houston, instead of go to New Orleans, for three days.  Sure enough, the night Everett came off the DL, he pulled his hamstring again playing CF.  Berkman never left Houston, he was at home and got the call the next day that he was back on the team because Everett was back on the DL.  Berkman, if I recall, wound up playing in 50 consecutive games that season and lost his rookie status because of it.  He was technically sent to New Orleans but never went, instead waited as he was told to do by Hunsicker and reported right back to the team a day later.

I think Fulchino was probably not here in Round Rock because Brocail came off the DL on Sunday.  I imagine he's right there in the hotel in Cincy as he was told and when the decision on Valverde was reached, they simply had Fulchino report back.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:25:23 pm by Noe in Austin »

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:34:45 pm »
That would make a lot of sense.  Just in case Valverde really is hurt, keep Fulchino around.  Or if Brocail still isn't ready.  Still though, after seeing him limping, I would love to know why the Astros let Valverde pitch on Sunday.  That just seemed really risky to me.

On another note, my wife just asked if we won tonight.  I said, "Yeah, Wesley Wright closed out the ninth, they put Valverde on the DL."

She said, "Valverde's on the down low?"
I say smorgasbord!

Noe

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:05:08 pm »
That would make a lot of sense.  Just in case Valverde really is hurt, keep Fulchino around.  Or if Brocail still isn't ready.  Still though, after seeing him limping, I would love to know why the Astros let Valverde pitch on Sunday.  That just seemed really risky to me.

On another note, my wife just asked if we won tonight.  I said, "Yeah, Wesley Wright closed out the ninth, they put Valverde on the DL."

She said, "Valverde's on the down low?"

And you replied? (Me, I would've immediately said to my missus "Yeah baby!" and immediately had the eye-roll my spouse is well known for)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:51:45 pm »
And you replied? (Me, I would've immediately said to my missus "Yeah baby!" and immediately had the eye-roll my spouse is well known for)

Noe, what did you say?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Noe

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 11:55:20 pm »
Noe, what did you say?

I'm not quite sure.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 02:49:34 am »
MRI in Houston revealed multiple hematomas in the calf.  20 ccs of fluid drained on Thursday, with 60 ccs to be drained via a small incision on Friday.  Should be pitching at "full strength" in 3 weeks.  LINK
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 06:51:44 am »
MRI in Houston revealed multiple hematomas in the calf.  20 ccs of fluid drained on Thursday, with 60 ccs to be drained via a small incision on Friday.  Should be pitching at "full strength" in 3 weeks.  LINK

I'm holding my breath.  Three weeks sounds awfully optomistic to me.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 07:21:24 am »
I'm holding my breath.  Three weeks sounds awfully optomistic to me.

Me too. 80cc is ~ 1/3 of a cup, and that's a lot of loose blood in a hematoma.