Author Topic: Big Party Today  (Read 3888 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Big Party Today
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:06:48 am »
Apple unveils what's coming in iPhone 3.0.

Why?  What did you think I would be posting about?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
Re: Big Party Today
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:57 am »
It's the New York Yankees of cell phones.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Gizzmonic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:04:49 am »

Breasts?
Grab another Coke and let's die

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:43:52 am »
Breasts?

Well, I imagine the audience for the event today will have its fair share of moobs.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:02:52 am »

I am considering getting an iPhone.  Not until May, when my current contract expires, so I have some time to think about it.  Should I wait for something even more spectacular?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

otterjb

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:51:33 am »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:54:52 am »

I am considering getting an iPhone.  Not until May, when my current contract expires, so I have some time to think about it.  Should I wait for something even more spectacular?

So far, July seems to be when Apple unleashes a new/updated iPhone, but unless something crazy happens, all iPhones will run the 3.0 software.  The 3G model has additional hardware capabilities over the original one, including GPS (there are numerous apps that take advantage of the positioning capability) and the next iPhone will do too (should be at least the faster processor from the iPod Touch).  There's lots of rumours, and some reasonable evidence, that Apple is again going to update the iPhone in July as the "droppings" of an "iPhone 2,1" have been seen around San Fran*.   No one knows exactly when or how though, but it would be worth your while, IMHO, to wait until July to see what, if anything, comes out.

This is what drives people nuts about Apple, in that they do not have a product "arc".  They have a product "flat line", so that you pay the same price on the first day of sale as you do on the day before the model is rendered obsolete.  The only fall back you have is a 30 day return policy.

Keep an eye on macrumors.com.  I find they do a good job of keeping you informed as to the latest gossip, while not getting themselves overly steamed up about it.  Can't say the same for those who frequent their forums - yours truly included.

* The original iPhone was "1,1" and the 3G was "1,2".  An iPhone "2,1" suggests there might be something quite big happening.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:28 pm »
Cut, copy 'n' paste as well as MMS.  Should shut a few people up for a while.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 04:26:27 pm »

New rumour that the next iPhone will have much faster data connection speeds.  BYO pinch of salt.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:13 pm »
New rumour that the next iPhone will have much faster data connection speeds.  BYO pinch of salt.

Further rumours have it sporting a video camera.

Typically, the rumours reach a crescendo of ridiculousness shortly before Apple actually announce a new product, then everyone bitches that it's lacking the expected fusion battery / uber-bit Bluetooth brain interface, but MacRumors do tend to put appropriate caveats against the stuff they blog.

jonbloozy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 12:08:47 am »
Further rumours have it sporting a video camera.

Typically, the rumours reach a crescendo of ridiculousness shortly before Apple actually announce a new product, then everyone bitches that it's lacking the expected fusion battery / uber-bit Bluetooth brain interface, but MacRumors do tend to put appropriate caveats against the stuff they blog.

So, is there a brain interface or not?  If there isn't, I'm buying Microsoft stock.
I say smorgasbord!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:26 am »
So, is there a brain interface or not?  If there isn't, I'm buying Microsoft stock.

Doesn't look like it.  But the AT&T U-Verse remote control app is an interesting confluence of technology. 

Andyzipp

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 11:36:11 am »
Doesn't look like it.  But the AT&T U-Verse remote control app is an interesting confluence of technology. 

Not that I'm looking all that hard, but have the rumors mentioned storage?  Like specifically a jump to 32gb and beyond?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 12:38:57 pm »
A $99 netbook sounds interesting.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 12:41:12 pm »
Not that I'm looking all that hard, but have the rumors mentioned storage?  Like specifically a jump to 32gb and beyond?

I believe that 32GB chips are now available and so such a bump is likely.  That's what I'm waiting for.  As the iPod Touch has two memory chips (because it doesn't have the cell phone chip) that'll get bumped to 64GB at the same time.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 01:58:33 pm »
Apple has scheduled their Worldwide Developers Conference for June 8-12.  This is the likely venue for them to announce upgrades to the iPhone, with history suggesting that it would be available in early July.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 10:17:26 am »
Rumours floating of a split in the iPhone model line, with a 32GB "high end" model plus a new "low end" unit, both to be released in June.  Yes, I'm aware of the date today, but the source does not participate in the April Fools shenanigans.

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 12:54:43 pm »

I just checked out the DirecTV app for checking your listings and setting shows to record to any DVR in your house. Pure awesomeness.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 01:53:32 pm »
I'm checking out the "Masters" app right now (slooow at work). They're streaming the Par 3 contest live and if you're connected to WiFi, it looks pretty good.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:21 pm »
I'm checking out the "Masters" app right now (slooow at work). They're streaming the Par 3 contest live and if you're connected to WiFi, it looks pretty good.

Oooh!  Downloading now.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:58 pm »
Meanwhile, some folks are having a field day with new app concepts based on the rumoured upgrades to the next iPhone.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 02:17:09 pm »
Oooh!  Downloading now.

Warning: big-time battery suck.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 02:19:59 pm »
Warning: big-time battery suck.

Streaming video...I'd expect nothing less.