Author Topic: RIP Dave Smith  (Read 3644 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
RIP Dave Smith
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:57 pm »
Former Astros Pitcher Dave Smith Passes Away

Former Astros pitcher Dave Smith died Wednesday according to one of his former teammates, Joe Sambito, who is now a baseball agent. Sambito told FOX 26 Sports he was informed by a family friend that Smith died of a heart attack in the San Diego, California area. *** Smith passed away at the age of 53.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Dave Smith
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:54:45 pm »
More sadness. This has been a tough year.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

ValpoCory

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 10:50:59 pm »
RIP Dave Smith.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:23:22 am »
Hang loose in the land of the never ending tube.  Loved to watch him finish a game.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:29:00 am »
RIP Dave. Total bummer.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:32:32 am »
I had a Dave Smith Starting Lineup figure on my dresser all through my Little League years.  Thoughts and prayers with his family.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:38:06 am »
Damn. One of my favorites. Rest well.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

otterjb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:55:25 am »
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/breaking-news/story/817609.html:

"He was the most giving, unconditionally compassionate man anyone ever came across," Flannery said. "Everybody's got Dave Smith stories. Usually it's him reaching into his pocket and pulling out $100 to give to someone selling newspapers for a quarter.

"Going back to his playing days, he was one of the great closers and a fierce competitor," Flannery said. "He also had a zest for life; reckless abandon at times. He's gone at 53. He earned every moment of his life. He packed a lot into it."

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 09:15:19 am »
RO RASROS!

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:39:41 am »
he struck Ray Knight out in the 9th of Game 6. fuck Fred Brocklander.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:24 am »
Also one of my favorite all-time Astros, Smith was tough. But apparently a very sweet man off of the field. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 01:45:47 pm »
The dude abided.
Purity of Essence

Noe

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 03:08:21 pm »
I seem to recall that Smithy was dealing with some personal demons in 1999 and left the Padres to take care of his problems.  He told Dierker personally during a series at the dome.  That same series, Dierker collapsed in a seizure caused by a brain tumor.  I may have some of dates mixed up, but I do recall thinking at the time that hopefully both Smithy and Dierker could fight back and conquer the stuff that had beset both of them and get back to baseball.

Sad news today, RIP Smithy, the best example of how being a closer isn't entirely about blowing people away... it's about getting three outs quickly and effectively to close out the game.

strosrays

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 03:22:24 pm »
Surfer.  Rest in peace.  Amen.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 04:33:25 pm »
I seem to recall that Smithy was dealing with some personal demons in 1999 and left the Padres to take care of his problems.  He told Dierker personally during a series at the dome.  That same series, Dierker collapsed in a seizure caused by a brain tumor.  I may have some of dates mixed up, but I do recall thinking at the time that hopefully both Smithy and Dierker could fight back and conquer the stuff that had beset both of them and get back to baseball.

Sad news today, RIP Smithy, the best example of how being a closer isn't entirely about blowing people away... it's about getting three outs quickly and effectively to close out the game.

I heard a quote from JD on the radio where he mentioned Smith battled with alcohol (seemed other demons as well but that is my inference) and had been to rehabilitation as well.  JD said that he kept in contact in the past but had fallen out in the last 3 years and that he and other friends were somewhat waiting for his time to come.  He didn't want to say that the heart attack was a direct result but that it certainly could have been a contributing factor.  Sad story to hear of another good guy who could overcome his devices.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 05:10:26 pm »
More sadness. This has been a tough year.

Agree, this year can't end soon enough. He was money in the division winning year. RIP, best Astro closer

kevwun

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 09:36:09 pm »
I got my first autograph from him.  Rest in Peace, Dave.
Crazy Joe McCluskey was fucking nuts.  It's why they called him Crazy Joe.

Noe

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:02 am »
I heard a quote from JD on the radio where he mentioned Smith battled with alcohol (seemed other demons as well but that is my inference) and had been to rehabilitation as well.  JD said that he kept in contact in the past but had fallen out in the last 3 years and that he and other friends were somewhat waiting for his time to come.  He didn't want to say that the heart attack was a direct result but that it certainly could have been a contributing factor.  Sad story to hear of another good guy who could overcome his devices.

Yes, my obtuse reference was meant to be just that... a way to say that Smithy needed rehab for alcohol abuse.  I just didn't think it was appropriate to spell out his problems, but Dave Smith did struggle big time with this problem.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 09:34:04 am »
Right, I was surprised to hear that JD did.  But I guess it does serve as a caution to all those who overindulge.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 02:10:30 pm »
he struck Ray Knight out in the 9th of Game 6. fuck Fred Brocklander.

Damn straight!
He breezed him, one more time!