Author Topic: Jason Michaels  (Read 1718 times)

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Jason Michaels
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:45:51 am »
Up in the Air

Houston

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Michaels
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:47:25 am »
The answer? Depends on what the question is.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:55:00 am »
The answer for the OF?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=txastrosmichaels&prov=st&type=lgns

Only if the question is, "Who should be the Astros 5th outfielder?"
Goin' for a bus ride.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:57:29 am »
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Noe

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:10:37 pm »
Houston needed a right handed bat for the bench last year to compliment Erstad's left handed bat.  Cheito didn't pan out and that was unfortunate because he was a switch hitter.  But on occasion you need a right handed bat that can provide a little pop off the bench.  Mark Loretta was a good bat, but two things about Loretta: he doesn't provide much power and he had to play a lot due to Matsui's injury, thus thinning the bench a little.

With Erstad and Blum, Houston had a need for a right handed bat and Michaels is what they settled on.  I would love to see them give Carlos Lee some more days off with Erstad and Michaels on-board now.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:57:10 pm »
The first comment on the chron story made me laugh... "I liked him better when his name was Jason Lane"
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Noe

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »
The first comment on the chron story made me laugh... "I liked him better when his name was Jason Lane"

The irony of that statement is that Jason Lane was a damn good #5 outfielder and right handed bat off the bench when he first came up.  His problem was that when he was given more time to play, the more his game was exposed and exploited by opposing pitchers.  Remember, the bench guys typically develop an attitude of "don't waste it, if you see a good pitch right away, hack at it!".  IOW - be aggressive.  Lane was good when he was aggressive and relievers just wanted to pump fastballs to get their outs.

As long as we're not talking about a starter here with Michaels, then fans have absolutely no reason to go all crazy about this move.  But fans will be fans!

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:11:15 pm »
The irony of that statement is that Jason Lane was a damn good #5 outfielder and right handed bat off the bench when he first came up.  His problem was that when he was given more time to play, the more his game was exposed and exploited by opposing pitchers.  Remember, the bench guys typically develop an attitude of "don't waste it, if you see a good pitch right away, hack at it!".  IOW - be aggressive.  Lane was good when he was aggressive and relievers just wanted to pump fastballs to get their outs.

As long as we're not talking about a starter here with Michaels, then fans have absolutely no reason to go all crazy about this move.  But fans will be fans!

Remember that time the Astros signed Charlie Hayes?  That was crazy.