Author Topic: Valverde isn't going anywhere...  (Read 1533 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Valverde isn't going anywhere...
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:50:55 am »
Enrique Rojas at ESPN is reporting Valverde is not going to be traded.  LINK

"Basically, I don't like to talk publicly about potential trades, but I can assure that Valverde is not being traded," Wade said Monday in Las Vegas.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:58:21 am by OregonStrosFan »
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

ValpoCory

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Valverde isn't going anywhere...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:39:54 am »
Just raising his value is all.  And he can claim loyalty if no trades are made.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:10:22 pm »
The Cardinals' "talks for Houston Astros closer Jose Valverde stalled abruptly earlier in the week".
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/CB78D09625D452B58625751B00197160?OpenDocument

Hard to imagine the Astros trading a guy like that within the division...
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Andyzipp

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:37:35 pm »
The Cardinals' "talks for Houston Astros closer Jose Valverde stalled abruptly earlier in the week".
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/CB78D09625D452B58625751B00197160?OpenDocument

Hard to imagine the Astros trading a guy like that within the division...

Stalled abruptly = Wanna Trade Valverde to us?  No.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:50:03 pm »
Jeff Passan at Yahoo Sports is reporting that Ed Wade says Enrique Rojas is full of crap...  LINK

Ed Wade denied a report that he has ruled out trading closer Jose Valverde as he tries to shed payroll amid the sagging economy that has already cost the Astros two of their biggest sponsors.  “I did not say that,” Wade said. “We will make every effort not to move him. But I can’t say for sure that we wouldn’t.”

He also notes that the Astros are also in an "extreme sell mode on Tejada."

...according to one general manager. The Astros have indicated they would be willing to take on part of Tejada’s $13 million salary, the GM said.  “They are pushing him hard,” the GM said. “Hard.”

Which is evidently news to Miggy.  LINK

"I didn't know anything about that. Nobody has told me anything that I could be traded," Tejada, reached by telephone at his Florida home, told ESPNdeportes.com.

In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:03 pm »
What sponsors did they lose?

Russe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 08:38:36 pm »
AIG and some auto dealership

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:20:50 pm »
Landmark/Bill Heard Chevrolet, I think.  Don't know how "major" they were.