Author Topic: How bad are the Detroit Lions?  (Read 2855 times)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
How bad are the Detroit Lions?
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:01:34 pm »
I'm trying to think of worse NFL teams that I've seen in my lifetime. Maybe those early Tampa Bay teams, but I'm not sure that even they were this pathetic. The Detroit defense's strategy appears to be to hope that the runner pulls a hamstring or steps in a gopher hole.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: How bad are the Detroit Lions?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:11:44 pm »
I'm trying to think of worse NFL teams that I've seen in my lifetime. Maybe those early Tampa Bay teams, but I'm not sure that even they were this pathetic. The Detroit defense's strategy appears to be to hope that the runner pulls a hamstring or steps in a gopher hole.

The pre-Montana 49ers had some clunkers back in the late 70's. Terry Bradshaw's first couple of seasons with the Steelers produced back-to-back -13's, if memory serves me correctly. Of course, he was splitting QB duties with Terry Hanratty.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:31:58 pm »
28-3 early in the second quarter? God this is ugly. And Detroit's at home to boot.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »
The pre-Montana 49ers had some clunkers back in the late 70's. Terry Bradshaw's first couple of seasons with the Steelers produced back-to-back -13's, if memory serves me correctly. Of course, he was splitting QB duties with Terry Hanratty.

I forgot about those Steeler teams. They were pretty hapless.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:25:06 am »

The 1976 Buccaneers were probably the worst in history.  The were shutout something like 9 times.  I'm hoping that the Lions go 0-16, as no team has done that in a season.  Those hapless Bucs only went 0-14.  The Bucs turned it around rather quickly though, winning 2 games in 1977 then two years later, making the playoffs, winning a playoff game, and hosting the NFC championship game in 1979.  Of course, the Bucs had somewhat of an excuse...they were an expansion team at a time when there was no expansion draft and no free agency.  It was basically the rookies you drafted and whomever got cut from every other teams. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:25:55 am »
IIRC, Tampa Bay's first win was over my New Orleans Saints.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 02:13:38 pm »
IIRC, Tampa Bay's first win was over my New Orleans Saints.

Indeed it was.  December 11, 1977.  The Bucs won 33-14.  The 33 points was by far the most they'd ever scored, having only scored a grand total of 7 points in their previous five games *combined*.  In fact, they'd only scored 53 points all season.  Take away the 23 in the game against the other expansion team Seattle, and they'd scored a grand total of 30 points in 11 games.  The Bucs went on to win their first home game the following week against the St. Louis Cardinals. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 05:30:24 pm »
Green Bay the last year or two before Lombardi ... and maybe even his first year.
Up in the Air

strosrays

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 06:12:23 pm »

Probably not the worst ever, but the Bill Peterson-led Houston Oilers (1972-1973) were pretty pathetic.  There is a book by Bill Curry written with George Plimpton I cannot recall the name of in which Curry goes into some detail about playing for the Oilers and Peterson back then.  Pretty amazing.  The Oilers not only went 1-13 in both years but, with Peterson calling the shots, they might have actually been lucky to get the wins they did.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:38:12 pm »
Green Bay the last year or two before Lombardi ... and maybe even his first year.

Before Lombardi, but not after. Lombardi never had a losing season as a head coach.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 10:11:02 am »
Before Lombardi, but not after. Lombardi never had a losing season as a head coach.
That's what I thought, but then I could not remember if the horrible 1-11 year came just before his tenure or (possibly) in his first year.  Brain cells are getting rusty.
Up in the Air

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:20:41 am »
Probably not the worst ever, but the Bill Peterson-led Houston Oilers (1972-1973) were pretty pathetic.  There is a book by Bill Curry written with George Plimpton I cannot recall the name of in which Curry goes into some detail about playing for the Oilers and Peterson back then.  Pretty amazing.  The Oilers not only went 1-13 in both years but, with Peterson calling the shots, they might have actually been lucky to get the wins they did.

is that the team that bud took to hawaii for training camp?  or is that the team where peterson made the offensive line apologize to the quarterback after every play?

hillbillyken

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:27:54 pm »
how about the early 80's oiler? as I recall mickey mouse wore an Ed Biles watch. thank  god for the strike in
82 (0-8-1)
Fear is temporary, regret is forever.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 04:59:54 pm »
That's what I thought, but then I could not remember if the horrible 1-11 year came just before his tenure or (possibly) in his first year.  Brain cells are getting rusty.

Nah. You're aging gracefully like me. I think of Lombardi often, and wonder what he'd make of today's game and the barmstorming nature of the players. I could just see him having to deal with Neon Dion, or Michael Irvin or T.O.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »
Nah. You're aging gracefully like me. I think of Lombardi often, and wonder what he'd make of today's game and the barmstorming nature of the players. I could just see him having to deal with Neon Dion, or Michael Irvin or T.O.

i think irvin gets a bad rap due to his off-field issues and post-career announcing idiocy.  he was tough as nails on the field, he was a great run blocker, and he didn't make a caricature of himself like owens or deion.

either way, you would think a great coach would bring out the best in his players no matter their personality.  phil jackson comes to mind here.  dennis rodman was thought to be a cancer with the spurs, a guy who just couldn't be coached, who had to be jettisoned "for the good of the team."  well the bulls pick him up and he's a key contributor on three championship teams.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »
i think irvin gets a bad rap due to his off-field issues and post-career announcing idiocy.  he was tough as nails on the field, he was a great run blocker, and he didn't make a caricature of himself like owens or deion.

either way, you would think a great coach would bring out the best in his players no matter their personality.  phil jackson comes to mind here.  dennis rodman was thought to be a cancer with the spurs, a guy who just couldn't be coached, who had to be jettisoned "for the good of the team."  well the bulls pick him up and he's a key contributor on three championship teams.

I liked Irvin as a player. His off-the-field propensities were not helpful though, and that is what would have driven Lombardi crazy. Can you image Lombardi having to deal with the thugs in the NBA of today though? Holy cow! Skipping practices and shoot-arounds, etc.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 08:29:28 pm »
MNF has been devoted to pointing out what a disaster the Jacksonville team is.  Seems the Lions have some competition.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright