Author Topic: The 'Roots Cough Up a Granny in the 10th, Astros 1 Game Away from Elimination  (Read 2663 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
The Pirates suck, so here's a photo of a very wet Megan Fox.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
If you didn't catch it live, and you want an example of a ridiculously shitty job of blocking the plate tagging a base runner who's been thrown out by 10 feet, watch this clip of the Mets scoring the tying run in the 8th off the Cubs.

Despite that, I still thought the Mets might fritter this one away- especially after their LF (Murphy?) fouled off a 2-strike bunt, as Reyes glided into 2nd base with what would've been an easy SB. Alas, and fuck the Cubs- not even a PH appearance by Lee? Ramirez? Soriano? Really?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
If you didn't catch it live, and you want an example of a ridiculously shitty job of blocking the plate tagging a base runner who's been thrown out by 10 feet, watch this clip of the Mets scoring the tying run in the 8th off the Cubs.

That was an absolutely wretched throw.  What did you expect the catcher to do?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

ValpoCory

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
That was an absolutely wretched throw.

What do you mean?  The steM announcers said "the throw was perfect from Fukudome".  How can this be?

ValpoCory

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
The Pirates suck, so here's a photo of a very wet Megan Fox.

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/48d8316505f4f.jpg on this server."

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/48d8316505f4f.jpg on this server."

copy, paste, go.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
It would be interesting to see the # of games played while eliminated stats for the NL since 2000 or so (I've seen this a few years ago) - is there any easy way to pull it?
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
What do you mean?  The steM announcers said "the throw was perfect from Fukudome".  How can this be?

It was a perfect throw.  Church did a great job of avoiding the tag and the Cubs catcher was on his knees and couldn't adjust.
Boom!

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
It was a perfect throw.  Church did a great job of avoiding the tag and the Cubs catcher was on his knees and couldn't adjust.

It was ten feet up the line. Church did a great job, but that was no perfect throw. If it's on the plate (or only two feet up the line) Church is out by five feet.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: The 'Roots Cough Up a Granny in the 10th, Astros 1 Game Away from Eliminatio
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 11:08:39 am »
It was ten feet up the line. Church did a great job, but that was no perfect throw. If it's on the plate (or only two feet up the line) Church is out by five feet.
Yes, it was up the line by ten feet- not a great throw- but the runner was still 8-10 feet away when the catcher got the ball. He had plenty of time to move in front of Church and make a tag, but he let himself get faked out somehow and lost his balance, and missed what should have been an easy tag.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Roots Cough Up a Granny in the 10th, Astros 1 Game Away from Eliminatio
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 12:45:03 pm »

Question: Why is it legal to run to the dugout before coming back to tag the plate? Is there no rule about running outside the baseline going to home plate?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 03:43:36 pm »
Question: Why is it legal to run to the dugout before coming back to tag the plate? Is there no rule about running outside the baseline going to home plate?

It's not legal*

* Unless you're playing the Cubs.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 03:53:59 pm »

Here is what the rule book says:

(k) In running or sliding for home base, he fails to touch home base and makes no attempt to return to the base, when a fielder holds the ball in his hand, while touching home base, and appeals to the umpire for the decision.
Rule 7.08(k) Comment: This rule applies only where runner is on his way to the bench and the catcher would be required to chase him. It does not apply to the ordinary play where the runner misses the plate and then immediately makes an effort to touch the plate before being tagged. In that case, runner must be tagged.

This indicates the catcher is responsible for appealing to the ump.  However, on the other bases, this is the rule for "Abandoning the bases"
(2) after touching first base, he leaves the baseline, obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base;
Rule 7.08(a) Comment: Any runner after reaching first base who leaves the baseline heading for his dugout or his position believing that there is no further play, may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of the runner to be considered abandoning his efforts to run the bases. Even though an out is called, the ball remains in play in regard to any other runner.
This rule also covers the following and similar plays: Less than two out, score tied last of ninth inning, runner on first, batter hits a ball out of park for winning run, the runner on first passes second and thinking the home run automatically wins the game, cuts across diamond toward his bench as batter-runner circles bases. In this case, the base runner would be called out “for abandoning his effort to touch the next base” and batter-runner permitted to continue around bases to make his home run valid. If there are two out, home run would not count (see Rule 7.12). This is not an appeal play.
PLAY. Runner believing he is called out on a tag at first or third base starts for the dugout and progresses a reasonable distance still indicating by his actions that he is out, shall be declared out for abandoning the bases.
Always ready to go to a game.