Author Topic: URGENT: Deadwood Fans  (Read 7765 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
URGENT: Deadwood Fans
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:25:13 pm »
Nope, not news of a new series, or even one of the promised movies.  But...

HBO is having a sale of Deadwood shit at their online store.  Most notably, the DVD sets of the series are available at nearly half-price, $60 instead of $100.  They're even paying shipping and not charging sales tax.

OFFER CLOSES AT 4PM EASTERN.

So you've got about half an hour from the time this gets posted.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: URGENT: Deadwood Fans
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:47:12 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, but Amazon.com has em all for $54.99 with free shipping as well.
Living is easy with eyes closed.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:30 am »
Deadwood is returning to HBO with a movie to round out the story:

Quote from: HBO
The indelible characters of the series are reunited after ten years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

Also, a lot of people get called a "cocksucker".
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 11:01:00 am »
IYCMI, here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/s0WrXmhvXTA
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 11:29:24 am »
IYCMI, here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/s0WrXmhvXTA
Can't wait. Makes me want to re-watch the entire series before hand.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 12:05:58 pm »
Can't wait. Makes me want to re-watch the entire series before hand.

I started a rewatch last weekend.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 02:03:20 pm »
I started a rewatch last weekend.

I rewatched season 3 a few weeks ago.  I'm going to start at the beginning now.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 01:40:46 pm »
Seth Bullock of Montana officially entered the race for President today!!

Steve?  it's Steve Bullock?  Oh.  Cocksucker.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 09:55:53 am »
I rewatched season 3 a few weeks ago.  I'm going to start at the beginning now.

I have just started rewatching it.  I am currently most of the way through Season 1.

I am thoroughly enjoying getting reacquainted with some of the details I’d forgotten over the years.  Mr. Woo’s white cocksuckers, the conversation over the blood stain between Al and Jewel, EB’s aside after telling Jane to “be brief” and she told him to “be fucked” and Kristen Bell’s femme fatale. 

However, I was not ready to reacquainted with what I know realize is Nick Offerman’s cock. 

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 10:33:27 am »
I have just started rewatching it.  I am currently most of the way through Season 1.

I am thoroughly enjoying getting reacquainted with some of the details I’d forgotten over the years.  Mr. Woo’s white cocksuckers, the conversation over the blood stain between Al and Jewel, EB’s aside after telling Jane to “be brief” and she told him to “be fucked” and Kristen Bell’s femme fatale. 

However, I was not ready to reacquainted with what I know realize is Nick Offerman’s cock.
I didn't realize Bell or Offerman were on the show until I re-watched it.

The movie was good but not great. Mostly because there was too much to try to get done in 2 hours time. They writing was as good as ever. Such great dialog.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 12:57:47 pm »

The movie was good but not great. Mostly because there was too much to try to get done in 2 hours time. They writing was as good as ever. Such great dialog.

I haven't seen the movie yet.  Is it an ending, or is there room for more movies?

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 01:11:51 pm »

I haven't seen the movie yet.  Is it an ending, or is there room for more movies?

It's an ending. And Milch likely won't be doing much else as he is battling Alzheimer's.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 02:12:46 pm »

There are a few loose ends tied but more are left dangling. I don't want to spoil anything.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 02:57:59 pm »
There are a few loose ends tied but more are left dangling. I don't want to spoil anything.

Yeah, fair amount gets left unresolved. But I think it succeeded in giving most characters (and the audience) emotional closure.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 09:28:43 am »

Article about various luminaries who appeared on the show.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 03:38:44 pm »
I don’t know what I was thinking, but it’s just dawned on me that Dan is Warren.  😳

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 09:43:10 pm »
Started watching last night, made it to episode 6 of season 1 so far.   They really love the word cocksuker.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 07:18:05 am »
Started watching last night, made it to episode 6 of season 1 so far.   They really love the word cocksuker.

So the story goes, the denizens of Deadwood we’re profoundly profane...for the time.  HBO had to up the ante on foul language for the show in order to try to convey the gap in decorum between those in the camp and civilized society. 

I guess the settled on “cocksucker” and the other “c” word as two of their guns in that fight.  The juxtaposition of profanity with Victorian prose is startling yet effective. 

Also, just genius, pitch-perfect lines such as:

“Here’s my counter-offer to your counter-offer: go fuck yourself!”

Who here has not wanted to use that phrase at work every day since the day they first heard it?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 01:23:58 pm »

I guess the settled on “cocksucker” and the other “c” word as two of their guns in that fight.  The juxtaposition of profanity with Victorian prose is startling yet effective. 

I think you can still say "cunt" if you are quoting dialog from television. But you have to use quotation marks and never call anyone one that--regardless of their droopy eye looking like one or even if their flapping mouth bears resemblance to one.

Also, just genius, pitch-perfect lines such as:

“Here’s my counter-offer to your counter-offer: go fuck yourself!”

Who here has not wanted to use that phrase at work every day since the day they first heard it?

I've really been wanting to say, "Won’t take long before he honors the rigors of his putrid fucking nature."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 10:20:53 am »
So I just finished rewatching Season 3.  Seasons 1 and 2 were as good as I remember but Season 3, alas, is a pile of shit.  Maybe it's because it was born before the concept of binge-watching, and so doesn't hold up in that format, but the whole thing seemed like a collection of pointless asides by second-tier characters that went nowhere and served no purpose other than to fill in the gaps between displays of Hearst's Thanosian malevolence.

Joanie Stubbs had nothing to do, literally and figuratively, until they clumsily manufactured some bi-curiosity with Jane and then took that absolutely nowhere.  Speaking of Jane, she spent the entire season spouting drunken, spittle-flecked rants about nothing.  Cy Tolliver did absolutely fuck all.  Farnham was reduced merely to rambling semi-coherently to himself in dark, empty rooms.  Ellsworth was sidelined and then killed and then forgotten.  Mrs Ellsworth was simply a device to ratchet up the tension between Hearst and Bullock (although they stopped short of fully fridging her) while she was suddenly back on and then suddenly back off the laudanum.  Doc Cochran was at death's door mid-season yet seemed so much better by the end.  Racist Steve was racist, a lot, and then got kicked in the head by a horse.  Hostetler was Steve's foil and then killed himself in what seemed like a Pythonesque sketch ending when they couldn't think how to end it so they'd just have someone shoot someone.  And what the fuck was the point of the entire screentime - which was substantial - devoted to Langrishe and his band of players who contributed absolutely fuck all to the plot, the intrigue, the entertainment of the show?  See also the brothers Earp.

So that was that.  But there was the burning tension, that was built and built and built between Hearst and the camp's denizens.  He chopped off Al's finger; he threatened to rape and then took pot shots at Mrs Ellsworth; he had the newspaper publisher attacked; he brought in wave after wave of Pinkertons; he...he...he....made a lot of dark speeches, bought Mrs Ellsworth's mine - which is what he came to do - and then left.  None of the mutual death promises made between Hearst and Swearengen/Bullock/Tolliver/Utter/Farnham ever saw any pay-off, completely defying (in a bad way, not an avante garde way) Checkov's gun theory.   Hearst just rides out on the stage, roll credits.  The most plot noteworthy parts of the finale was that Al murdered a Trixie lookalike and Tolliver murdered Leon but then stopped short of murdering one of his girls because she whipped out her tits.

Oy.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 02:35:57 pm »
Did you ever watch Treme?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 09:04:14 am »
Did you ever watch Treme?

I didn't.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 09:22:08 am »
I didn't.

If you at all appreciate New Orleans culture, it is fantastic. The show is very character based and there's not much plot. It's mostly a vibe.

Excellent acting, especially Wendell Pierce, Khandi Alexander and Kim Dickens.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 09:28:49 am »
If you at all appreciate New Orleans culture, it is fantastic. The show is very character based and there's not much plot. It's mostly a vibe.

Excellent acting, especially Wendell Pierce, Khandi Alexander and Kim Dickens.

I'm cool with character-driven stuff.  I just think Season 3 of Deadwood doesn't rise to that description.  The characters were all set out in their various spaces, and no one ever moved, developed or expanded out of where they were placed at the start.  Except for right at the end when everyone did exactly what they have never done which is to just shrug and walk away.