Author Topic: Seven Words You Can't Say at a Funeral  (Read 2289 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Seven Words You Can't Say at a Funeral
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:20:57 am »
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

George Carlin died, aged 71.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Words You Can't Say at a Funeral
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:26:20 am »
excellent eulogy
forever is composed entirely of nows

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:55:17 am »
Baseball and Football was one of the all-time classic routines.

RIP, George Carlin.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:56:27 am »
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

George Carlin died, aged 71.

Rat Shit  Bat Shit  Dirty little Twat
69 Assholes tied in a knot
Hurray
Lizardshit
Fuck!

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:10:49 am »
The Astros should have gotten Biff Barf to replace Milo.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Bill McLuggage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:56:30 pm »
The Astros should have gotten Biff Barf to replace Milo.

At least with Biff we'd get a partial score "Cincinnati 3"
How can you ask me a question like that?  Do you ask The Beatles that??

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 02:03:01 pm »
"I love words. I thank you for hearing my words. I want to tell you something about words that I uh, I think is important. I love..as I say, they're my work, they're my play, they're my passion. Words are all we have really.

"We have thoughts, but thoughts are fluid. You know, [humming]. And, then we assign a word to a thought, [clicks tongue]. And we're stuck with that word for that thought. So be careful with words. I like to think, yeah, the same words that hurt can heal. It's a matter of how you pick them.

"There are some people that aren't into all the words. There are some people who would have you not use certain words. Yeah, there are 400,000 words in the English language, and there are seven of them that you can't say on television. What a ratio that is. 399,993 to seven. They must really be bad. They'd have to be outrageous, to be separated from a group that large. All of you over here, you seven. Bad words. That's what they told us they were, remember? 'That's a bad word.' 'Awwww.' There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad Intentions.

"And words, you know the seven don't you? Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, huh? Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war.

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, wow. Tits doesn't even belong on the list, you know. It's such a friendly sounding word. It sounds like a nickname. 'Hey, Tits, come here. Tits, meet Toots, Toots, Tits, Tits, Toots.' It sounds like a snack doesn't it? Yes, I know, it is, right. But I don't mean the sexist snack, I mean, New Nabisco Tits. The new Cheese Tits, and Corn Tits and Pizza Tits, Sesame Tits Onion Tits, Tater Tits, Yeah. Betcha can't eat just one. That's true I usually switch off . But I mean that word does not belong on the list.

"Actually, none of the words belong on the list, but you can understand why some of them are there. I am not completely insensitive to people's feelings. You know, I can dig why some of those words got on the list...like cocksucker and motherfucker. Those are...those are heavy-weight words. There's a lot going on there, man. Besides the literal translation and the emotional feeling. They're just busy words. There's a lot of syllables to contend with. And those K's. Those are aggressive sounds, they jump out at you. CocksuckerMotherfuckerCocksucker. It's like an assault, on you. So I can dig that.

"And we mentioned shit earlier, of course. Two of the other 4-letter Anglo-Saxon words are Piss and Cunt, which go together of course. But forget about that. A little accidental humor there. Piss and Cunt. The reason Piss and Cunt are on the list is that a long time ago certain ladies said 'Those are the two I am not going to say. I don't mind Fuck and Shit, but P and C are out. P and C are out.' Which led to such stupid sentences as 'OK, you fuckers, I am going to tinkle now.'

"And of course the word Fuck. The word Fuck, I don't really...well, this is some more accidental humor, but I don't really want to get into that now. Because I think it takes too long. But I do mean that. I mean, I think the word fuck is an important word. It's the beginning of life, and, yet it's a word we use to hurt one other, quite often. And uh, people much wiser than I have said, I'd rather have my son watch a film with two people making love than two people trying to kill one other. And I of course agree. I wish I know who said it first, and I agree with that. But I would like to take it a step further. I would like to substitute the word fuck, for the word kill in all those movie cliches we grew up with. 'Okay Sheriff, we're gonna fuck ya now. But we're gonna fuck ya slow.' So maybe next year I'll have a whole fuckin' rap on that word. I hope so.

"Uh, there are two-way words, but those are the seven you can never say on television. Under any circumstances you just can not say them ever, ever ever, not even clinically. You can not weave them in the panel with Doc and Ed and Johnny, I mean it's just impossible, forget those seven, they're out.

"But, there are some two-way words. There are double-meaning words. Remember the ones your giggled at in sixth grade? 'And the cock crowed three times.''Hey, the cock the cock crowed three times. It's in the bible.' There are some Two-way words, like it's okay for Curt Gowdy [mis-spelled in original transcription. -ed.] to say 'Roberto Clemente has two balls on him.' But he can't say, 'I think he hurt his balls on that play Tony, don't you? He's holding them. He must have hurt them by God.' And the other two-way word that goes with that one is prick. It's okay if it happens to your finger. Yes, you can prick your finger, but don't finger your prick. No, no."
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

pravata

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 02:05:26 pm »
Everybody is remembering Carlin as an eccentric hippy dippy potty mouth that liked the confusion of jumbo shrimp.  He's being eulogized as counterculture, edgy, an iconoclast, bitter, cynical, skeptic, and an atheist.  The truth is he was just seriously pissed off, gleefully pissed off, monumentally pissed off, and that's what I liked about him.

"I don’t have pet peeves,” he said once, “I have major, psychotic hatreds.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/arts/24carlin.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5087&em&en=08144f1ad131c561&ex=1214366400

Here's one

"Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these fucking people kidding me? Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven’t learned how to care for one another, we’re gonna save the fucking planet?...

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. ...

We’re going away. Pack your shit, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance."
http://gospelofreason.wordpress.com/2007/05/24/george-carlin-the-planet-is-fine/

Watching his last concerts people complained, "he's not funny".  "He used to be funny and wierd, he's not funny anymore".  He wasn't the class clown anymore sticking it to the man and the people who grew up listening to him became uncomfortable,

"The species that I was born into and the culture I was born into have pretty much betrayed me and anyone else who had faith in them at one time.  They have gone away from enlightened self-interest into a narrow self-interest.  This is a hopeless and lost species that will never recover."

Now that is fucking funny.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 02:35:58 pm »
Everybody is remembering Carlin as an eccentric hippy dippy potty mouth that liked the confusion of jumbo shrimp.  He's being eulogized as counterculture, edgy, an iconoclast, bitter, cynical, skeptic, and an atheist.  The truth is he was just seriously pissed off, gleefully pissed off, monumentally pissed off, and that's what I liked about him.

"I don’t have pet peeves,” he said once, “I have major, psychotic hatreds.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/arts/24carlin.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5087&em&en=08144f1ad131c561&ex=1214366400

Here's one

"Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these fucking people kidding me? Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven’t learned how to care for one another, we’re gonna save the fucking planet?...

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. ...

We’re going away. Pack your shit, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance."
http://gospelofreason.wordpress.com/2007/05/24/george-carlin-the-planet-is-fine/

Watching his last concerts people complained, "he's not funny".  "He used to be funny and wierd, he's not funny anymore".  He wasn't the class clown anymore sticking it to the man and the people who grew up listening to him became uncomfortable,

"The species that I was born into and the culture I was born into have pretty much betrayed me and anyone else who had faith in them at one time.  They have gone away from enlightened self-interest into a narrow self-interest.  This is a hopeless and lost species that will never recover."

Now that is fucking funny.

I remember when I was in college I had this fundamentalist Christian roommate who fancied himself as being down-to-earth and amused by social pretention, and I suppose he was, except when God came into conversation.  We were watching maybe The Dennis Miller Show on HBO, and George Carlin is announced as the guest.  My roommate got excited because he knew he was an edgy comedian, and he put himself into that ready-for-an-easy-laugh mode.  Right off the bat Carlin starts talking about God, and then goes into the "invisible man in the sky" routine.  My roommate's face turned pale and cheerless, and he mutters "that's not funny" before walking out of the room.

Noe

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 02:40:50 pm »
My favorite Carlin observation is of course "The Difference between Football and Baseball"

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! — I hope I'll be safe at home!

Classic.

P.S. If you're a fan of golf, he had a great observation on why golf was such a stupid game (paraphrasing) "It's not that I don't like golf, I just don't understand it.  You approach a ball with a stick and hit it as far as you can.  Then you walk all the way out to where you hit the ball, find it and then... whack... you hit it again!"

BatGirl

• Contributor
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Carlin On Heaven
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 03:49:12 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-hochman/george-carlin-on-heaven_b_108723.html

"The best afterlife for me would be to be able to sit comfortably and watch the world on a kind of heavenly CNN.  To be able to have my remote and say, 'Okay, there's an uprising in Spain. Let's watch that. Or to watch China finally take over the fucking world. Because there's a billion of those motherfuckers and they're going to eat our lunch.
...India and Pakistan, both, have nuclear weapons and they fuckin' hate each other. I'm telling you, somebody is going to fuck somebody's sister and an atom bomb is going to fly. And I say fine. You know? I just like the show. This world is a big theater in the round, as far as I'm concerned, and I'd just love watching it spin itself into oblivion. Tune in and watch the human adventure. It's a cursed, doomed species but it's just interesting as hell. That's what I want heaven to be. And if it's not like that, then fuck it. I'll just kill myself."

on the subject of his tombstone:

"I'm thinking something along the lines of, "Jeez, he was just here a minute ago."

gonna miss him.
..because chickens are decent people.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
Re: Carlin On Heaven
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 04:51:35 pm »