Author Topic: Lidge as a Phillie  (Read 3530 times)

pravata

Lidge as a Phillie
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:31:00 am »
Check the picture of Lidge.  Not how you want to make an entrance.
Link Also, noted in the article, the Phillies officially released Iguchi.

says Lidge, "I feel lucky to go from an up-and-down team to a winning team."   link
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:33:02 am by pravata »

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Re: Lidge as a Phillie
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:00 am »
He looks like Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol on steroids.  "God bless us one and all.  And stop throwing fucking batteries at my head."
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:14:06 am »

says Lidge, "I feel lucky to go from an up-and-down team to a winning team."   link

I didn't expect Lidge to be bitter but that comment sure sounds like "BITTER" to me....
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:59:54 am »
says Lidge, "I feel lucky to go from an up-and-down team to a winning team."

And they were up and down because...
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:09:09 am »

Oh, the irony.
Lighten up, Francis.

Noe

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:19:11 am »

If he's talking about strictly the 2007 season, he's right.  The circus last year was comical around here and much of it had less to do with baseball and more to do with internal politics, organizational meddling, finger pointing and just a general mess of a situation.  Up and down is kind compared to calling it a farce and circus how Houston handled it's business last year.

Now the situation seems to be that strong baseball men have righted the good ship Astros and have a more defined focus to keep from having such a circus reappear.  If it's about winning again around here, it will be welcomed by many a player and baseball person in the organization.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:44:42 am by Noe in Austin »

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:29:47 am »
If he's talking about strictly the 2007 season, he's right.  The circus last year was comical around here and much of had less to do with baseball and more to do with internal politics, organizational meddling, finger pointing and just a general mess of a situation.  Up and down is kind compared to calling it a farce and circus how Houston handled it's business last year.

Now the situation seems to be that strong baseball men have righted the good ship Astros and have a more defined focus to keep from having such a circus reappear.  If it's about winning again around here, it will be welcomed by many a player and baseball person in the organization.

Noe, please.  This is ridiculous.  Do you honestly think Brad Lidge was referring to "internal politics" when he made that statement.
Lighten up, Francis.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 11:33:26 am »
Didn't sound bitter to me at all.  He first said he was coming from a team that had an up and down season to a team that had a winning season, then paraphrases it.  It's true.  Then he's asked by a reporter about Ausmus stating that he (Lidge) was unhappy with the organization.  He sets the record straight to say he was unhappy with himself when the closer role was yanked from him early in the year and not unhappy with the organization at all.    
RO RASROS!

pravata

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 11:36:29 am »
...He first said he was coming from a team that had an up and down season to a team that had a winning season, ...

Is this in another source?  Could you point this out to me please?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 11:37:59 am »
It seems like a pretty innocuous "happy to be here" statement. I wouldn't read too much into it.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:41:07 am »
Didn't sound bitter to me at all.  He first said he was coming from a team that had an up and down season to a team that had a winning season, then paraphrases it.  It's true.  Then he's asked by a reporter about Ausmus stating that he (Lidge) was unhappy with the organization.  He sets the record straight to say he was unhappy with himself when the closer role was yanked from him early in the year and not unhappy with the organization at all.    

First, he said team, not season.  Second, the Astros season was down; there was nothing "up" about it.  Finally, a statement can be bitter and true.
Lighten up, Francis.

Noe

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:48:55 am »

My point is predicated on only the 2007 season.  It was a far cry around here from the days when winning was the focus (two words: Pam Gardner).  When an owner has the attitude to fire a GM for the reasons cited and then the manager, the focus gets lost.  Up and down is eggszactly what happens to a team on the field.

Philly had the opposite in 2007.  In fact, Philly and Colorado reminded me of the fighting 2004/2005 Houston Astros the way they hung together, fought hard and never listening to the calling for the head of such-and-such player (Pat Burrell) or manager (Hurdle or Manuel) or even General Manager (Colorado) by the fans and media.  It's about winning, not about a circus at that point.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:51:45 am by Noe in Austin »

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 11:52:37 am »

Sure, it came off the second link in the first post.  The video of the PC titled 'Philly welcomes Lidge".
It's at about the 3:25 minute mark.
RO RASROS!

pravata

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:57:32 am »
Sure, it came off the second link in the first post.  The video of the PC titled 'Philly welcomes Lidge".

The video, didn't look at that, thanks. 

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
Sure, it came off the second link in the first post.  The video of the PC titled 'Philly welcomes Lidge".

Thanks.  My  mistake.  Generally speaking, I expect the reporter to accurately reflect the statements.  At times I can be a naive dipshit.....
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Noe

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:51 pm »
Sure, it came off the second link in the first post.  The video of the PC titled 'Philly welcomes Lidge".

I think the "season" is key to his statement.  I know that Lidge had no ill will towards the organization but last year many a player felt the effects of the circus going on around them.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 12:45:07 pm »
hilarious. Dobro makes an appreance to criticize, but so many folks are ingnoring him that there are no replies.

nice to see you, Sunshine.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

pravata

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 12:56:47 pm »
I think the "season" is key to his statement.  I know that Lidge had no ill will towards the organization but last year many a player felt the effects of the circus going on around them.

Somewhat.  He was gracious in his comments when he left, said he was lucky for the opportunity and had no regrets.  It's a mild comment and even milder in context, however, seems like players can't avoid at least a little dig at the old team.  Lidge was always a stand up guy and pretty good in front of the media.  Could be worse, he could be like Aubrey Huff, Link

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 03:03:48 pm »
//snip//
Could be worse, he could be like Aubrey Huff, Link

Huff's best line:
But nobody has ever accused me of being smart. ...
Up in the Air