Author Topic: Sign of the Apocalypse?  (Read 8199 times)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Sign of the Apocalypse?
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:54:34 am »
McCarver actually said something useful last night when he pointed out how the catcher proceeded up the line to cover 3rd when the 3B came in to field a sac bunt. The catcher's activity was out of frame, so it's probably not something the casual viewer would have noticed.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Houston

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Sign of the Apocalypse?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 08:57:20 am »
Tim must have sniffed an acorn near third base.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 09:11:41 am »
Of course Tim McCarver also insulted the intelligence of his entire audience when he went into a 30 second monologue about why a runner leading off 3rd base leads off in foul territory.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:02:20 am »
McCarver actually said something useful last night when he pointed out how the catcher proceeded up the line to cover 3rd when the 3B came in to field a sac bunt. The catcher's activity was out of frame, so it's probably not something the casual viewer would have noticed.

that's something every good HS team does.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:10:44 am »
what was that horrible simile he used last night?....something about "striking like a cobra in a basket." 

Bill McLuggage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:42:13 am »
My vote goes to the 'casual' conversatoin in the Red Sox dugout about how if anyone steals a base then everyone in America gets a free taco from Taco Bell.

Follow up with an interview in the stand with the COO of Taco Bell.

Nothin' spells October baseball in Boston like taco-meat-food-products!
How can you ask me a question like that?  Do you ask The Beatles that??

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 11:46:37 am »
My vote goes to the 'casual' conversatoin in the Red Sox dugout about how if anyone steals a base then everyone in America gets a free taco from Taco Bell.

wonder if they got a "bonus" for that conversation.. maybe when they get to the rocks place we will be blessed with so many tacos
forever is composed entirely of nows

strosrays

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:54:04 pm »

Taco Bell.  Leading the league in runs created.™

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:01:40 pm »

Taco Bell.  Leading the league in runs created.™

I'd respond with "Rim shot, please!" but someone is bound to take that the wrong way.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 02:09:24 pm »
I'd respond with "Rim shot, please!" but someone is bound to take that the wrong way.

and I'd respond with '"That ain't no shit!", when in reality it's too much.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 04:55:32 pm »
and I'd respond with '"That ain't no shit!", when in reality it's too much.

A nice running commentary.
Purity of Essence

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 05:02:56 pm »
that's something every good HS team does.

I learned to do that by about age 13. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 05:06:44 pm »
The worst of McCarver last night was when he pointed out the catcher shaking his head at the pitcher and said you could be sure that it meant a fastball was coming.  The pitcher then threw a slider.  McCaver just went on talking about the fastball.  The one that didn't come.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 05:09:17 pm »
The worst of McCarver last night was when he pointed out the catcher shaking his head at the pitcher and said you could be sure that it meant a fastball was coming.  The pitcher then threw a slider.  McCaver just went on talking about the fastball.  The one that didn't come.

It really would be better to have Scooter.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 05:21:34 pm »
I learned to do that by about age 13. 

I understand that people that have actually played baseball learn to do that early on. But I'd guess that a lot of people watching these games haven't actually played baseball, and this was a rare instance of McCarver possibly helping them to understand that there's actually a lot more going on on the diamond than one might appreciate at first glance.

Having said that, Scooter would probably still come out on top in any objective comparison.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 10:08:30 am »
It really would be better to have Scooter.
Who is this Scooter that you refer to? Phil Rizzuto? Even in his current state, Rizzuto would be better? Even if Scooter is your pet worm, it would be better. Beyond tedious, beyond incoherent, beyond terminal tautology; with every succesive game McCarver expands the frontiers of broadcasting incompetence.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 01:25:34 pm »
Who is this Scooter that you refer to? Phil Rizzuto? Even in his current state, Rizzuto would be better? Even if Scooter is your pet worm, it would be better. Beyond tedious, beyond incoherent, beyond terminal tautology; with every succesive game McCarver expands the frontiers of broadcasting incompetence.

Scooter is a talking baseball.  "I'm a curveball because I cuuuuuuurve!"
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

strosrays

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 02:38:58 pm »
Scooter is a talking baseball.  "I'm a curveball because I cuuuuuuurve!"

A distant relative, I am pretty sure, to Towlie.

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 10:45:37 pm »
McCarver dropped this beauty tonight after a double switch removed Drew instead of Manny:

"Terry Francona removed JD Drew [instead of Manny] since that allowed him to double switch."

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 10:52:45 pm »
McCarver dropped this beauty tonight after a double switch removed Drew instead of Manny:

"Terry Francona removed JD Drew [instead of Manny] since that allowed him to double switch."

Did you miss it when manny was thrown out at home and mccarver was saying the ump delayed the call to see if manny touched home plate?  Except for the trivial fact Buck pointed out which was that torrealba never made any other attempt to tag ramirez other than the dive.   Buck said it was to make sure the ball never squirted out of torrealba's mitt, and McCarver finally acknowledged his idiocy.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 08:35:13 pm »
Another perplexing one tonight, talking about how Manny Ramirez throws off his helmet while running:

"It certainly doesn't make you faster ... if it did, we'd see marathon runners wearing helmets ... hundred meter dash guys wearing helmets"

My jaw dropped.  What kind of fubar logic is that?

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 08:33:40 am »
"It certainly doesn't make you faster ... if it did, we'd see marathon runners wearing helmets ... hundred meter dash guys wearing helmets"

Between that line and the Boras/ARod announcement in the middle of the game, I have never come closer to throwing a brick through my TV.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 08:47:12 am »
Between that line and the Boras/ARod announcement in the middle of the game, I have never come closer to throwing a brick through my TV.
if you are going to thorw bricks make them good ones. i was listenting to the radio and the scrubbies are mentioned on the arod might do list (bo sox, angels and cubs were on the aforementioned list)
forever is composed entirely of nows

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 08:51:49 am »

That was ANNOUNCED during the game? Good grief.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Ankh

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 08:53:24 am »
My jaw dropped.  What kind of fubar logic is that?

It's related to the question of "why slide into first base ever?" - it sliding ever helped, you would see marathon runners sliding into the finish line.

Though there are issues of the infeasibility of sliding on concrete, this argument line is not uncommon.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:21 am »
That was ANNOUNCED during the game? Good grief.

Yup... in the middle of the game, Buck says "Let's go down to the field, where Ken Rosenthal has some BIG news."  Silly of me to think that the news would have something to do with the GAME THEY WERE BROADCASTING, like a sudden injury.

ARod couldn't make it to the game to pick up his Hank Aaron award, but Boras still tried to make ARod bigger than the World Series anyway.  What a classless prick.

At one point, I remember hearing that teams were "discouraged" from making big announcements (e.g. managerial changes) until the WS was over.  Apparently no one is concerned about MLB sanctioning those who do.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 10:41:33 am »
It's related to the question of "why slide into first base ever?" - it sliding ever helped, you would see marathon runners sliding into the finish line.

Though there are issues of the infeasibility of sliding on concrete, this argument line is not uncommon.

That is ok logic.  I am fine with the comparison of sliding into first base and sprinters.  You can slide to avoid a tag on a wild throw, but not to reach the base more quickly.

But this is a totally different issue.  McCarver made a leap that was not applicable.  The question at the heart of the issue is whether running around the bases while taking time to flip off your helmet is faster or slower than running around the bases while keeping your helmet on.

Marathon runners and sprinters do not wear helmets, so those situations do not apply.

What McCarver said was that sprinters are faster without helmets than with helmets.  No shit.  What does that have to do with anything? 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:43:15 am by ValpoCory »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 11:18:19 am »
That is ok logic.  I am fine with the comparison of sliding into first base and sprinters.  You can slide to avoid a tag on a wild throw, but not to reach the base more quickly.

prove it.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 11:30:12 am »

I'm not an expert, but in sprinting don't they just have to break the plane of the finish line?  In baseball, you have to touch the base.   They may be enough of a difference to not be comparable.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 11:36:52 am »
I'm not an expert, but in sprinting don't they just have to break the plane of the finish line?

You "finish" when your chest breaks the plane.  Head, hands, knees, feet don't count.

Bill McLuggage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 11:56:40 am »
Doesn't Manny flip it off because it's about 2 sizes too big and will just fall off anyway?
How can you ask me a question like that?  Do you ask The Beatles that??

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 12:35:07 pm »
prove it.

I think it's pretty well established, through multitudes of tests, that you reach a base faster by running through it than you do by sliding.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 01:19:08 pm »

I think it's pretty well established, through multitudes of tests, that you reach a base faster by running through it than you do by sliding.

then you should be able to prove it easily.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 01:34:12 pm »
then you should be able to prove it easily.

I'll bring a stopwatch to the next softball game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007, 01:34:58 pm »
I'll bring a stopwatch to the next softball game.

the TZ game? take a sun dial.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 01:35:30 pm »
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sliding_into_a_base_make_you_reach_base_faster

THESE folks think it can get you to first more quickly, anyway, though I'm uncertain who's making the call on their behalf.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 01:40:06 pm »
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sliding_into_a_base_make_you_reach_base_faster

THESE folks think it can get you to first more quickly, anyway, though I'm uncertain who's making the call on their behalf.

Thos people are idiots, and certainly not physicists.  When you stop running, your body does NOT continue on at the same speed, it begins to slow down as soon as you stop accelerating.  Secondly, players dive for ground balls because the ball is on the ground.  It's not enough to simply reach the ball with your feet, you must actually pick it up with your hand if you wish to make a throw. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 02:08:25 pm »

Thos people are idiots, and certainly not physicists.  When you stop running, your body does NOT continue on at the same speed, it begins to slow down as soon as you stop accelerating.  Secondly, players dive for ground balls because the ball is on the ground.  It's not enough to simply reach the ball with your feet, you must actually pick it up with your hand if you wish to make a throw. 

right, and curve balls do not curve.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 02:09:07 pm »
Thos people are idiots, and certainly not physicists.

But Jason.kanzler has a Contributor trust: 17... it MUST be true!

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007, 02:15:22 pm »
But Jason.kanzler has a Contributor trust: 17... it MUST be true!

And not only "contributor trust 17", he actually IS 17!

2nd from the left, back row

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2007, 02:27:02 pm »

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, the good folks at the Discovery Channels' Mythbusters have done an episode on the subject, but I couldn't find it on their website.  The Wikipedia entry suggested that Mythbusters determined that sliding is marginally faster, and that the tv show guessed it was because of faster deceleration from sliding.  Of course that wouldn't apply for first base, and like I said, I couldn't find a description of the episode.  Except on Wikipedia.

There was also on the internet a discussion of a comparison done on ESPN, where tape of runners who typically slid into first was timed against tape of the same runners when they didn't slide.  The discussion said that ESPN found sliding faster for those runners, but maybe they were slacking when they didn't slide?

I don't know whether those reports are right or not, but if the difference is infintessimal, it would seem like the greater danger of injury to the runner would argue for not sliding into first.  Not that sliding presents any danger of injury to runners.  Or diving for ground balls.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 02:28:04 pm »

Seeing as they assumed the runner was in a vacuum, I'm convinced they must of have had some physics training.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2007, 02:30:34 pm »
Seeing as they assumed the runner was in a vacuum, I'm convinced they must of have had some physics training.

That's funny.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2007, 02:31:42 pm »
Apparently, according to Wikipedia, the good folks at the Discovery Channels' Mythbusters have done an episode on the subject, but I couldn't find it on their website.  The Wikipedia entry suggested that Mythbusters determined that sliding is marginally faster, and that the tv show guessed it was because of faster deceleration from sliding.  Of course that wouldn't apply for first base, and like I said, I couldn't find a description of the episode.  Except on Wikipedia.

There was also on the internet a discussion of a comparison done on ESPN, where tape of runners who typically slid into first was timed against tape of the same runners when they didn't slide.  The discussion said that ESPN found sliding faster for those runners, but maybe they were slacking when they didn't slide?

I don't know whether those reports are right or not, but if the difference is infintessimal, it would seem like the greater danger of injury to the runner would argue for not sliding into first.  Not that sliding presents any danger of injury to runners.  Or diving for ground balls.

if injury is the issue, never slide any way, anywhere.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2007, 02:35:14 pm »
if injury is the issue, never slide any way, anywhere.

Someone should pass that on to Mr. Pence.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2007, 02:57:02 pm »
right, and curve balls do not curve.

Of course curve balls curve.  That's why they're call curve balls. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2007, 02:58:26 pm »

I think they were absent the day they tought physics in physics class.

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2007, 03:06:11 pm »

The Mythbusters completely screwed up that myth.  They thought the myth was sliding into the base vs decelerating and stopping on the base (like at 2nd or 3rd).  Apparently neither of them had ever watched a game in their life.  I love Mythbusters, but that episode was terrible.

ETA:  Here's the wikipedia page:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_6)#Episode_83_-_Baseball_Myths

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:10:14 pm by T. J. »

strosrays

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2007, 03:44:22 pm »

I think they were absent the day they tought physics in physics class.

Niels Bohr says going in hovering about a quarter inch off the ground is faster than either running through or sliding in.  Less friction that way.  Of course, this method requires one to have ceramic cleats.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2007, 03:56:08 pm »
The Mythbusters completely screwed up that myth.  They thought the myth was sliding into the base vs decelerating and stopping on the base (like at 2nd or 3rd).  Apparently neither of them had ever watched a game in their life.  I love Mythbusters, but that episode was terrible.

ETA:  Here's the wikipedia page:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_6)#Episode_83_-_Baseball_Myths

So did Wikipedia get the results of their tests right?  Sliding was fractions of a second faster?  If that's the case, then I'd infer that not decelerating would make that difference even smaller (or that not sliding would in fact be faster).  How did they set up the test?

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »
So did Wikipedia get the results of their tests right?  Sliding was fractions of a second faster?  If that's the case, then I'd infer that not decelerating would make that difference even smaller (or that not sliding would in fact be faster).  How did they set up the test?

Yes, but like I said, they weren't testing sliding vs running through the base.  They tested sliding vs running to the base.  I don't think there's any question that sliding is faster in that situation.  Also, even if it was a question as to whether or not this was true, they didn't use athletes to test this "myth", they used the people from the show who had to learn to slide.