Author Topic: Lamb or Loretta?  (Read 3475 times)

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
Lamb or Loretta?
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:40:24 am »
Just for grins, if Purp has the choice and can sign either Lamb OR Loretta after the season, who does he take?  A month ago, I would have leaned toward Loretta, but I don't feel that way now.  Of course, I'm not Purp.
Purity of Essence

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
Re: Lamb or Loretta?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:57:31 am »
Lamb is younger, a better hitter, and left handed.   Loretta is better defensively and plays more positions.    I think with OShow going away, and bruntlett playing better, that Lamb would be the one, if only one could be resigned.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:43:38 am »
OShow?
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 09:47:35 am »
Orlando Palmeiro?  Your guess is as good as mine.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:48 am »
Yes, sorry it is an inside joke.   OP is who I was referring to.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:55:19 am »
Who?  Is he still on the team?
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:03:34 am »
Just for grins, if Purp has the choice and can sign either Lamb OR Loretta after the season, who does he take?  A month ago, I would have leaned toward Loretta, but I don't feel that way now.  Of course, I'm not Purp.

Loretta. He competes for a starting job at 2B and provides insurance there. His other positions also are valuable. I'd hate to lose Lamb though.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Gleek

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:51 am »
With the signing of Wiggy, I would have to go with Loretta.
So there ya go, you're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish squirrel.  ---  Mrs. Garrison

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:52:46 am »
With the signing of Wiggy, I would have to go with Loretta.

Absolutely Loretta.  Bruntlett is the uber-sub, and he can surely step in for Burke if (as i expect) Burke fumbles the ball when given the everyday 2B job, but having Loretta to step in every day gives me a much nicer feeling.  It would be nice to replace OP with Lamb as the lefty off the bench, but following the rules of the game set out here, Loretta wins by a lambslide.
Up in the Air

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:54:45 am »
Absolutely Loretta.  Bruntlett is the uber-sub, and he can surely step in for Burke if (as i expect) Burke fumbles the ball when given the everyday 2B job, but having Loretta to step in every day gives me a much nicer feeling.  It would be nice to replace OP with Lamb as the lefty off the bench, but following the rules of the game set out here, Loretta wins by a lambslide.

except most signs point to Burke getting the starting job at 2nd next season.  Meaning both Lamb and Loretta would be backups, in which case Lamb is more valuable.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:35 am »
except most signs point to Burke getting the starting job at 2nd next season.  Meaning both Lamb and Loretta would be backups, in which case Lamb is more valuable.

Read first.  Post later.
Up in the Air

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 11:05:37 am »

I would prefer Loretta to be the starting 2B and Burke to be somewhere else.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 03:25:41 pm »
Last year with Boston, Loretta's hitting tailed off considerably the last 5-6 weeks of the season, seemingly due to nagging injuries (he played through them all because Youkilis, Ortiz, etc. were all hurt more). I'm wondering if he has similar problems of late or if he's just hit a wall. Not that I'm expecting a whole lot from Burke, but let's be honest, it looks as though the Astros have every intention of handing him the job next year.

I love Mike Lamb but it's hard to see him not getting a bigger contract/role elsewhere. He, A-Rod, and Mike Lowell are basically it for FA third basemen I believe.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:44 pm »

If I join you, can we out-vote Purp??
Up in the Air

pravata

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:47 pm »
Last year with Boston, Loretta's hitting tailed off considerably the last 5-6 weeks of the season, seemingly due to nagging injuries (he played through them all because Youkilis, Ortiz, etc. were all hurt more). I'm wondering if he has similar problems of late or if he's just hit a wall. Not that I'm expecting a whole lot from Burke, but let's be honest, it looks as though the Astros have every intention of handing him the job next year.

I love Mike Lamb but it's hard to see him not getting a bigger contract/role elsewhere. He, A-Rod, and Mike Lowell are basically it for FA third basemen I believe.

They had every intention of handing Burke the CF job this year.  That's definitely how they'll start, but who knows how they'll finish.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 03:31:15 pm »

i am not convinced that Lamb will leave. at this stage of his career and liking Houston as much as he does, being a part-time player may be just fine.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 03:36:06 pm »

I think that you would be hard-pressed to find a lot of people these days (outside of Purp) who would disagree.

And if Lamb is content with a part-time position, I would love to resign both.  Both are "professional hitters" who would well-complement the Astros' big three -- Berkman, Lee, and Pence.
Boom!

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »
The way I remember it, Lamb was a part-time player with the Astros.  Ensberg made him a full-time player.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 04:12:53 pm »
The way I remember it, Lamb was a part-time player with the Astros.  Ensberg made him a full-time player.
Absolutely, he got more opportunities than he might've expected due to Ensberg's slumps ('04, '06, '07) or injuries ('05). But it seems like other teams have now started to notice. I hope I'm wrong and JimR's right. Lamb does seem to have less ego about it than most. I guess the fact that Wigginton can play 2nd would create more wiggle-room for Lamb to get AB's next year too.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Noe

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 04:47:02 pm »
Absolutely, he got more opportunities than he might've expected due to Ensberg's slumps ('04, '06, '07) or injuries ('05). But it seems like other teams have now started to notice. I hope I'm wrong and JimR's right. Lamb does seem to have less ego about it than most. I guess the fact that Wigginton can play 2nd would create more wiggle-room for Lamb to get AB's next year too.

I would think that most teams who are contenders will already have a solution at third or first base.  Maybe the Yankees at first base, but even then, I doubt they'll think of Lamb right away as a solution.  They'll exhaust all other options first.  But then again, they did have Mankeiwosajklasjdaksdjalask at first for a while too.  So if we're not talking contenders, Lamb is looking at teams who need a solution at third or first that is a good cost for them and may help them play better.  So Lamb is looking for trade off of regular playing time with teams that are trying to contend but are not necessarily a contender to being on the Astros and definitely not starting and knowing that they will contend only if the right parts are there in pitching.

So Lamb won't want to go to a team like Pittsburgh (who actually have solutions at third and first already in LaRoche and Sanchez), but I can see him going to teams like San Diego or Cleveland or Seattle.  But he's kidding himself if those teams don't have other options available to them as well.  Geoff Blum and Mike Lamb are great guys to have on a team, because they'll play.  But starters?  I don't see it unless it's a non-contending, lower rung team that just wants to plug a hole more than anything else.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 04:57:32 pm »
I would think that most teams who are contenders will already have a solution at third or first base.  Maybe the Yankees at first base, but even then, I doubt they'll think of Lamb right away as a solution.  They'll exhaust all other options first.  But then again, they did have Mankeiwosajklasjdaksdjalask at first for a while too.  So if we're not talking contenders, Lamb is looking at teams who need a solution at third or first that is a good cost for them and may help them play better.  So Lamb is looking for trade off of regular playing time with teams that are trying to contend but are not necessarily a contender to being on the Astros and definitely not starting and knowing that they will contend only if the right parts are there in pitching.

So Lamb won't want to go to a team like Pittsburgh (who actually have solutions at third and first already in LaRoche and Sanchez), but I can see him going to teams like San Diego or Cleveland or Seattle.  But he's kidding himself if those teams don't have other options available to them as well.  Geoff Blum and Mike Lamb are great guys to have on a team, because they'll play.  But starters?  I don't see it unless it's a non-contending, lower rung team that just wants to plug a hole more than anything else.

This reminds me of the situation that Ole Mr. Watership Downs (Burnitz) found himself in last year. Not good enough to be a regular on a playoff type team, but good enough to be a regular on a bad team. His experiment with the cubbies didn't go over very well.  A guy like that is a great option on a good team as a professional ab off the bench or a 4th OF. If you are counting on him to be part of the solution on a good team, well, you probably aren't a good team then.
Lamb as a starter and middle of the lineup run producer seems that way to me. I could well be selling him short I suppose, but I can't see him being a full time starter at 3b or 1b on a playoff team. Unless they are loaded elsewhere. He's a great piece, not a key cog imo.