Author Topic: Liquor on an airplane  (Read 5542 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Liquor on an airplane
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:41:52 pm »
Anyone know if you can carry liquor onto a commercial airplane, if it is in one of those little baggies?  If not as carry-on, can you check it in your luggage?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Liquor on an airplane
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »
Anyone know if you can carry liquor onto a commercial airplane, if it is in one of those little baggies? 

I don't believe so.  Most liquids can't make it through security.  You can check the airline's website.  It should have the details.

If not as carry-on, can you check it in your luggage?

Riiiiiiggghhht.  That'll make it to your final destination.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:50:17 pm »
Contintental says yes to carry-on, provided you buy it from duty-free after the security checkpoint, and you don't plan on drinking it in-flight. I've checked it on before without problems.

Also, Continental shall not be liable for damage to antlers.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:51:47 pm »
I don't believe so.  Most liquids can't make it through security.  You can check the airline's website.  It should have the details.

Riiiiiiggghhht.  That'll make it to your final destination.

OK, I checked Southwest's online policy and it says I can check up to 5 liters, as long as it is it's unopened packaging, securely packaged in corregated carboard designed to prevent leakage. 

I'm getting tired of not having my scotch available when I travel, or having to buy a bottle of it at my destination.  What I want to do is carry a bunch of those little airline travel size bottles, but I don't want to buy them from the airline, I want to buy them from Specs, where they are much cheaper.  A flask is apparently out of the question.  Something I'll have to work on.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:53:48 pm »
Contintental says yes to carry-on, provided you buy it from duty-free after the security checkpoint, and you don't plan on drinking it in-flight. I've checked it on before without problems.

I travel frequently, 4 or 5 times a month.  I have never seen a duty free shop in an airport, though I hear about them constantly. 

Shit...I just dropped cigar ashes on my keyboard, and it melted the "m" key. 

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 05:54:12 pm »

OK, I checked Southwest's online policy and it says I can check up to 5 liters, as long as it is it's unopened packaging, securely packaged in corregated carboard designed to prevent leakage. 

I'm getting tired of not having my scotch available when I travel, or having to buy a bottle of it at my destination.  What I want to do is carry a bunch of those little airline travel size bottles, but I don't want to buy them from the airline, I want to buy them from Specs, where they are much cheaper.  A flask is apparently out of the question.  Something I'll have to work on.

You can buy 3-ounce bottles of mouthwash at the drugstore. You could empty those out, fill them with Scotch, then put as many of them as you can into a quart-sized zip-top bag. Of course, then your Scotch might taste like mouthwash, and carrying a whole bag of mouthwash onto a plane might raise concern at security.

PCOL2000

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:55:09 pm »
Probably not the volume your lookin for but REEF makes a pair of sandals with a flask in the sole.  I have the ones with bottle openers on the bottom.  I just thought i'd need to go straight from the store to AA if i bought the flask ones.  The bottle openers are really handy, you just have to watch out for dog terds

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:56:27 pm »

Don't you have to have an international boarding pass to buy duty free at the airport?  12 years ago at Intercontinental you did.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 05:58:24 pm »
Probably not the volume your lookin for but REEF makes a pair of sandals with a flask in the sole.  I have the ones with bottle openers on the bottom.  I just thought i'd need to go straight from the store to AA if i bought the flask ones.  

I have some "barnoculars" that I use to take into the Texans game with me.

The bottle openers are really handy, you just have to watch out for dog terds

It's good policy to do that, irrespective of the bottle openers in your shoes.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 05:59:12 pm »

NI!
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 06:06:51 pm »
I admit I thought when I saw the subject line you were going to rant about drunks on flights, ala SLJ:  "I am sick and tired of motherfuckin' drunks on my motherfuckin' plane."

Now I see you're the potential drunk.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 06:19:04 pm »
I admit I thought when I saw the subject line you were going to rant about drunks on flights, ala SLJ:  "I am sick and tired of motherfuckin' drunks on my motherfuckin' plane."

Now I see you're the potential drunk.

Oh I don't want to drink on the plane, I want to drink when I get off the plane.  Believe it or not, there's not a lot to do in Blanding, Utah.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 06:25:06 pm »
Oh I don't want to drink on the plane, I want to drink when I get off the plane.  Believe it or not, there's not a lot to do in Blanding, Utah.

Nothing wrong with drinking on the plane either.

"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Jimbo

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 06:25:42 pm »
Michael Vick uses vials labeled "killer dog semen".

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 06:26:21 pm »

There's more to do on an airplane than in Blanding, Utah?
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 06:33:50 pm »

Not exactly.  There's the Dinosaur Museum in Blanding, which is pretty cool actually.  And it only costs $2.  For comparison, the Navajo Nation charges you $3 to look at the Four Corners monument along the side of the road.  But there aren't many liquor stores, and zero cigar bars. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 07:20:22 pm »

I'd believe it.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 07:50:09 pm »
Don't you have to have an international boarding pass to buy duty free at the airport?  12 years ago at Intercontinental you did.

We were in the international terminal at DFW over the 4th, and you don't have to have one there.  That being said, they were not selling liquor at the duty free we went into.  You may need one at one of the duty frees that sell liquor.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 07:52:30 pm »
We were in the international terminal at DFW over the 4th, and you don't have to have one there.  That being said, they were not selling liquor at the duty free we went into.  You may need one at one of the duty frees that sell liquor.

How did you get into the international terminal without an international boarding pass?  You can't get to the shops without passing through the security screens.
Goin' for a bus ride.

gleach

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • Allison's Page
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 07:59:35 pm »
A lot of domestic flights go out of terminal E in Houston, which is the International terminal.
I love Geoff Leach.  Every day. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 08:02:12 pm »

Not exactly.  There's the Dinosaur Museum in Blanding, which is pretty cool actually.  And it only costs $2.  For comparison, the Navajo Nation charges you $3 to look at the Four Corners monument along the side of the road.  But there aren't many liquor stores, and zero cigar bars. 

Just outside Salt Lake City is the "Rocky Mountain Beaver Company".  Good place to go looking for your third or fourth wife.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 08:28:24 pm »
Believe it or not, there's not a lot to do in Blanding, Utah.

Good Lord, what takes you to Blanding?  We used to spend time in Bluff when I was a boy, but that was vacation with friends exploring the San Juan Valley.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 09:13:52 pm »
Good Lord, what takes you to Blanding?  We used to spend time in Bluff when I was a boy, but that was vacation with friends exploring the San Juan Valley.

When you're in the oil bidnez, you often end up in strange places.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 08:13:52 am »
A lot of domestic flights go out of terminal E in Houston, which is the International terminal.

We were flying through DFW, so we had a boarding pass, just not an international one.  Once you're past security you can go to any of the terminals.  In DFW and Austin, at least.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 08:20:52 am »
We were flying through DFW, so we had a boarding pass, just not an international one.  Once you're past security you can go to any of the terminals.  In DFW and Austin, at least.

But I still think the duty-free shop won't sell you anything unless you can show them an outbound (as in "leaving the country") ticket.  It used to be the case that they wouldn't even give you the merchandise: they shipped it to your departure gate, and you picked it up there as you boarded the plane (or they gave it to you on the plane).  But on our last return from London (out of Heathrow) they gave us the merchandise after we paid for it.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 08:38:04 am »
Just outside Salt Lake City is the "Rocky Mountain Beaver Company".  Good place to go looking for your third or fourth wife.
Also a good place to look for your third and fourth wife.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 08:47:18 am »
But I still think the duty-free shop won't sell you anything unless you can show them an outbound (as in "leaving the country") ticket.  It used to be the case that they wouldn't even give you the merchandise: they shipped it to your departure gate, and you picked it up there as you boarded the plane (or they gave it to you on the plane).  But on our last return from London (out of Heathrow) they gave us the merchandise after we paid for it.

The duty free shop we went into had a giant sign that said something to the effect of "NO NEED FOR AN INTERNATIONAL BOARDING PASS TO SHOP HERE".  As I stated before, there was no liquor or tobacco, so maybe that's the issue.  I didn't spend long inside comparing prices, so maybe it wasn't a true "duty free" shop

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 08:57:58 am »
As I stated before, there was no liquor or tobacco, so maybe that's the issue.

Maybe that's it. I never look at anything other than the Scotch.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 10:24:42 am »
Probably not the volume your lookin for but REEF makes a pair of sandals with a flask in the sole.  I have the ones with bottle openers on the bottom.  I just thought i'd need to go straight from the store to AA if i bought the flask ones.  The bottle openers are really handy, you just have to watch out for dog terds

Now that is a truly horrible idea.  Just imagine the ruckus when TSA's finest discover sandals full of amber liquid.  Think this through before putting yourself in the headlines.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 10:29:08 am »

Or for those not in the market for an extra wife, try the Wasatch Brew Pub in Park City.  Their stout is very  good and they have a pretty broad selection to meet other tastes as well.  My brother in law swears by their rasberry wheat, but then he's a liberal.
Up in the Air

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 10:44:40 am »
Or for those not in the market for an extra wife, try the Wasatch Brew Pub in Park City.  Their stout is very  good and they have a pretty broad selection to meet other tastes as well.  My brother in law swears by their rasberry wheat, but then he's a liberal.

There's world class fishing across the border in New Mexico on the San Juan, and I once had a world class Navajo taco in Mexican Hat.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 11:58:08 am »
Now that is a truly horrible idea.  Just imagine the ruckus when TSA's finest discover sandals full of amber liquid.  Think this through before putting yourself in the headlines.

Indeed. I have a pair, and they are most definitely not traveling flip flops. They are not terribly subtle, so I would fully expect to be tazed before even stepping through the metal detector. They are for gameday use only.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 04:11:42 pm »

When you're in the oil bidnez, you often end up in strange places.

Like the back seat of a Volkswagon?
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Andyzipp

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 04:12:34 pm »
Like the back seat of a Volkswagon?

That would be a very uncomfortable place.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:14:37 pm by Andyzipp »

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 04:46:16 pm »
That would be a very uncomfortable place.

You know how long it takes for that smell to come off? Scrub all you want, it'll stick around for at least two days.
Say hi on the Twitter