Author Topic: It's June 17th, You Compare and Discuss:  (Read 2125 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
It's June 17th, You Compare and Discuss:
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:56:57 am »
Pitcher A - .500 team winning percentage in his starts, 3.65 ERA
Pitcher B - .500 team winning percentage in his starts, 3.29 ERA

Pitcher A, of course, costs his team $840,000 per START.  Pitcher B, of course, costs his team $380,000 for the SEASON

Pitcher A decided to take off the first couple months of the year, leading his team (any of the 3 possibilities) to a total of zero wins.  Pitcher B has made 12 starts so far and has had a decision in 11 of them. 

Pitcher A is a local kid (from Dayton, Ohio).  Pitcher B is a local kid (from Pasadena, Texas).

And why am I specifically comparing Roger to Sampson?  Because if Roger had decided to come back to the Astros in December and had been in the rotation from the beginning of the year, you'd have never thought about Sampson, since he'd be pitching for Round Rock right now. 

Sometimes...you get lucky.  And sometimes...it's better to be lucky than good.

WulawHorn

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: It's June 17th, You Compare and Discuss:
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 09:46:12 am »
Oh Oh Oh- can I answer this one?

Pitcher B- sampson.  I think it would have been more fun if you kept us in suspense and didn't specifically mention either of them by name- so that we could go down our own path.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:11:27 am »
Sampson from the health point of view. Who knows how far into the season dq would have gotten without a major malfunction
forever is composed entirely of nows

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:30:59 pm »
Oh Oh Oh- can I answer this one?

Pitcher B- sampson.  I think it would have been more fun if you kept us in suspense and didn't specifically mention either of them by name- so that we could go down our own path.

It really wasn't so much about guessing.  It was about pointing out that even though Clemens jerked us around as usual, we were better off anyhow.

Fuck Clemens.

astrojim

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 04:11:04 pm »
And it's only going to get worse for DQ.  With the # of baserunners he's had thus far, he's lucky his ERA isn't 5+.  The man looks gassed by the third inning.     

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 04:13:27 pm »
And it's only going to get worse for DQ.  With the # of baserunners he's had thus far, he's lucky his ERA isn't 5+.  The man looks gassed by the third inning.     

This pleases me to no end. 

Hey, here's a question for the legal folks in here...if Clemens ends up having to give up in a month because he just can't be effective, do the Yanks still owe him the fifty billion left on his contract?  Please say yes.

cougar

• I dare you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 04:41:16 pm »

Hey, here's a question for the legal folks in here...if Clemens ends up having to give up in a month because he just can't be effective, do the Yanks still owe him the fifty billion left on his contract?  Please say yes.

One would think that since it's a signed contract for a set amount (a prorated however many bajillion dollars) and since it takes effect from the day he signs it, the Yankees have to pay it even if he has to pitch from 40 feet away instead of 60'6" in order to be effective and doesn't have to leave the condo he shares with hetero life mate Alice on the Upper West Side if he doesn't feel like it.

But then again, I'm not a lawyer.  I don't even get to play one on TV.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 04:56:08 pm »

Judging by what the Mets seem to have figured out in the eighth inning, teams are going to start bunting on DQ, who looked older than 45 coming off of the hill after a bunt. Torre yanked him after a successful bunt with Reyes, fast as greased lightning and a decent bunter, coming up. That's what AAA teams did to J.R. Richard when he tried to come back after his stroke. He couldn't field the position. It was sad to watch those teams essentially taunt J.R. with that tactic.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Gleek

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 05:19:32 pm »

It's guaranteed money... so. yes.  Unless he's dumb enough to retire mid-season, in which case i think they could get out of it.
So there ya go, you're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish squirrel.  ---  Mrs. Garrison

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 07:37:20 pm »
Here's another compare and discuss:

Player   AB    H    2B    HR    RBI    BB    SO    AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS
A   807   207   53   15   73   64   162   .257   .329   .385   .714
B   336   85   18   9   36   32   69   .253   .318   .399   .717

I should add, player A doesn't play any particular defensive position extremely well, plays one well, and a few others he's mediocre to poor.  Player B is solid, if not good, at almost every defensive position they put him. 

I'd really appreciate someone telling me why player A has seen over twice the number of at bats as player B?  I am guessing it's because player B is only put in situations where he'll succeed and that if he played every day his offensive weaknesses would be exposed.  But from what I've seen, he's got a very sound approach at the plate and rarely gets cheated in an at-bat.  Your thoughts are appreciated!
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 07:40:56 pm »
Here's another compare and discuss:

Player   AB    H    2B    HR    RBI    BB    SO    AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS
A   807   207   53   15   73   64   162   .257   .329   .385   .714
B   336   85   18   9   36   32   69   .253   .318   .399   .717

I should add, player A doesn't play any particular defensive position extremely well, plays one well, and a few others he's mediocre to poor.  Player B is solid, if not good, at almost every defensive position they put him. 

I'd really appreciate someone telling me why player A has seen over twice the number of at bats as player B?  I am guessing it's because player B is only put in situations where he'll succeed and that if he played every day his offensive weaknesses would be exposed.  But from what I've seen, he's got a very sound approach at the plate and rarely gets cheated in an at-bat.  Your thoughts are appreciated!

I give up is player A burke and player B Bruntlett.

Was talking about this at the game w/ dad and he figured it is b/c so much more has been invested in Burke then Bruntlett. That's about the only thinik that makes a ton of sense to me.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 09:23:17 pm »
I give up is player A burke and player B Bruntlett.

Was talking about this at the game w/ dad and he figured it is b/c so much more has been invested in Burke then Bruntlett. That's about the only thinik that makes a ton of sense to me.

[/quote
is that reaching. i mean is there anything that really makes sense about the whole burke experiment.
forever is composed entirely of nows