Author Topic: If The Astros Would Just Score 4 Runs a Game...  (Read 4298 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
If The Astros Would Just Score 4 Runs a Game...
« on: June 09, 2007, 09:42:32 am »
Keep in mind, league average this year is 4.42 runs/game and the Astros are even averaging 4.15 runs/game, so it's not like I'm saying "you know, if the Astros would just score 16 runs a game......."

Jason Jennings would be 3-0
Chris Sampson would be 8-1
Roy Oswalt would be 9-2
Wandy Rodriguez would be 8-3
Woody Wiliams would be 7-4

Hell, even Matt Albers would have been 3-3.   

Just four runs a game, and you're looking at Roy and Sampson in the All-Star Game.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Re: If The Astros Would Just Score 4 Runs a Game...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 09:46:16 am »
I'd settle for them only scoring 3 runs (oe 2.5) in those games where the bad guys score two or less.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:00:02 am »
i keep thinking about those games where the runs flowed and the score was like 13 zilllion or somthing . be nice if they could do like a bank account and budget runs
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:30:12 am »
Keep in mind, league average this year is 4.42 runs/game and the Astros are even averaging 4.15 runs/game, so it's not like I'm saying "you know, if the Astros would just score 16 runs a game......."

Jason Jennings would be 3-0
Chris Sampson would be 8-1
Roy Oswalt would be 9-2
Wandy Rodriguez would be 8-3
Woody Wiliams would be 7-4

Hell, even Matt Albers would have been 3-3.   

Just four runs a game, and you're looking at Roy and Sampson in the All-Star Game.

exactly. i keep hoping a deal for another hitter is just around the corner.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 02:54:40 pm »
exactly. i keep hoping a deal for another hitter is just around the corner.

Scott and Qualls for Dye?  Scott, Ensberg, and Lidge for Cabrera?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 02:59:05 pm »
Scott and Qualls for Dye?  Scott, Ensberg, and Lidge for Cabrera?

not sure i'd give up much for Dye.

there were rumblings about Glaus a few weeks ago. the folks who talk to me know nuttin at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 03:52:15 pm by Jim R »

ThomasTx12

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 03:25:39 pm »
Scott, Ensberg, and Lidge for Cabrera?

No way the Marlins take that. (assuming we're talking about the same Cabrera)

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 03:30:12 pm »
No way the Marlins take that. (assuming we're talking about the same Cabrera)

Yeah, I know.  It'd cost us Lidge, Pence, and Patton minimum.

I'd take Glaus, but the guy is ALWAYS injured.  If it didn't cost much, I say do it, since when he's NOT hurt, he's a bazillion times better than Ensberg.

Problem with curing up 3B however, means no more Loretta every day....and I don't see removing him from the lineup as the answer.  He's hitting over .500 with RISP. 

I say we go after a RF with pop.  Doesn't have to be an All-Star, just better than what we got.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 03:41:35 pm »
Year to date:

Runs scored / Record in those games
0 / 0-2 (.000)
1 / 0-11 (.000)
2 / 1-6 (.143)
3 / 2-5 (.286)
4 / 3-6 (.333)
5 / 5-2 (.714)
6 / 4-2 (.667)
7 / 3-1 (.750)
8 / 2-0 (1.000)
9 / 1-0 (1.000)
10 / 3-0 (1.000)
13 / 1-0 (1.000)

We're 3-24 (.111) when scoring fewer than 4 runs.  You've gotta think that's the difference between where we are and winning the Central (the fact that 27 of our 60 games, we've scored fewer than 4 runs).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 05:22:13 pm by Alkie »

SeanBergmanRules

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 06:37:32 pm »
Scott is slugging .475, and thats despite putting up a .194-.306-.355 line in April.  He's been hot lately, and I really don't think there is any way for us to improve in right without giving up far more than it's worth, given Scott's production. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 06:59:13 pm »
The inefficiency of this offense is stunning at times.  Today, for example, they have an inning that involves three walks, a double and no double plays.  They net 1 run.  ONE!

They do this all the time.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 07:49:11 pm »
The inefficiency of this offense is stunning at times.  Today, for example, they have an inning that involves three walks, a double and no double plays.  They net 1 run.  ONE!

They do this all the time.

Do yourself an enormous favor and look up the ERAs of the pitchers in that inning. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 08:19:42 pm »
Scott is slugging .475, and thats despite putting up a .194-.306-.355 line in April.  He's been hot lately, and I really don't think there is any way for us to improve in right without giving up far more than it's worth, given Scott's production. 

i believe in Scott. upgrade elsewhere.

CarolinaStro

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 08:30:47 pm »
Yeah, I know.  It'd cost us Lidge, Pence, and Patton minimum.

I'd take Glaus, but the guy is ALWAYS injured.  If it didn't cost much, I say do it, since when he's NOT hurt, he's a bazillion times better than Ensberg.

Problem with curing up 3B however, means no more Loretta every day....and I don't see removing him from the lineup as the answer.  He's hitting over .500 with RISP. 

I say we go after a RF with pop.  Doesn't have to be an All-Star, just better than what we got.

3rd would seem to be the place to get another bat...Loretta could play 2b by that time since Biggio would be close to or past 3000...Loretta, PENCE, Lance, Lee, new 3bman, Scott, Brad, AE would be a strong lineup for the second half of the season. 

Zac D

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 08:34:01 pm »
i believe in Scott. upgrade elsewhere.

Where could "elsewhere" be, besides 3B?

ThomasTx12

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 08:42:30 pm »
Where could "elsewhere" be, besides 3B?

SS or C. But that might be considered blasphemy here.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 08:50:44 pm »

Fire away and tell us who and how.  We're all ears.
Purity of Essence

Zac D

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 09:23:10 pm »

I think it's blindingly obvious that management considers Everett's defensive value well worth any offensive deficiency he brings to the plate. Ausmus is a slightly different story, given the recent willingness to use Munson for offense, but how many solid-hitting catchers are out there and available? Unless you're paying dearly for a prospect like Saltalamacchia or Kottaras and praying he's major-league ready, I don't see where an improvement is available. Think you can get Mike Redmond from the Twins? He's not exactly a slugger.

Ain't much out there.

Noe

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 10:18:12 pm »

No it isn't (and this is eggszactly the sort of crap that people want to say about the OWA consistently).  Let me see if I can explain it to you in very simple terms:

Forget C or SS for a minute because those are defensive positions, m'kay.  Now, the question should be this:

What *lineup* position can be upgraded?  The answer:

#5 for sure, possibly leadoff.  That is two positions right there.  Does that mean they need another 2nd baseman because that is the person who bats leadoff?  No.  It means they need a leadoff hitter, so you can actually (and read very carefully okay so you don't miss it) *MOVE* the current 2nd baseman who hits leadoff to the #6 role (or lower).  That means you can move the current #6 RF to #5 permanently (as they seem to have done already).  So if you want to talk about replacing the SS and C, okay... fine.  But are you wanting to replace them defensively and that would be kind of bad... especially at SS.  But if you want to replace them because you want to replace the #7 and #8 hitters, then it is even worse and speaks highly to lack of informed opinion as to needs on this team.

BUT... if you want to replace SS and C, keep the same or somewhat similar defense, and move those bats to higher positions because they can actually hit, then let's talk.  Who?  Miguel Tejada?  Michael Young?  Joe Mauer?  Cool.  What cost?  And then, who do you move out of the #3 to place one of those hitters in that spot, Lance Berkman?  Are you really wanting to do that?

So like Taras said... let's hear it?

Noe

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 10:24:46 pm »
I think it's blindingly obvious that management considers Everett's defensive value well worth any offensive deficiency he brings to the plate.

Mainly because you temper your expectation(s) when a guy is slotted for the bottom of the lineup.  However, consideration for defense at shortstop is independent of the lineup slot as well.  If the Astros were paying AE the type of money Derek Jeter is making and also laying offensive expectations on him like the Yankees do with Jeter, then I can easily see where the problem with AE's offense would come into play.  His defense is his defense and it helps the team tremendously, especially in light of the Minute Maid effect, where outs are so very important to keep long innings from happening.

The real answer for improved offense is Lance Berkman first becoming the Lance Berkman that he's always been.  And then for Luke Scott to strangle hold the five hole and make the 3-4-5 spots in this lineup something to be feared.  Similar to last year late in the year when Houston's 3-4-5 were working well (in a way) with Berkman-Huff-Scott.  Houston had a decent to really good offense late last year.  Huff could've done better, but suffice it to say this year with Lee they're better.  Now if Berkman and Scott show up, they'll be more than fine.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 10:42:18 pm »
Do yourself an enormous favor and look up the ERAs of the pitchers in that inning. 

That Logan's pretty tough...
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

tophfar

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 11:16:12 pm »
No it isn't (and this is eggszactly the sort of crap that people want to say about the OWA consistently).  Let me see if I can explain it to you in very simple terms:

Forget C or SS for a minute because those are defensive positions, m'kay.  Now, the question should be this:

What *lineup* position can be upgraded? 

just stop there, you lost him at lineup.  the rest of it ended up as "blah blah blah".
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?