Author Topic: Advice for first trip to MMPUS  (Read 4487 times)

Señor Stan

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
Advice for first trip to MMPUS
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:37:38 pm »

I be making my first trip to MMPUS for Opening day with one of my sons.  I haven't been to a game since '93 in the Dome.  Any advice for parking, batting practice, things to avoid etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to get meet some of y'all if I get the chance.

We will be in section 313 row 1.

Noe

Re: Advice for first trip to MMPUS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:30:03 am »
I be making my first trip to MMPUS for Opening day with one of my sons.  I haven't been to a game since '93 in the Dome.  Any advice for parking, batting practice, things to avoid etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to get meet some of y'all if I get the chance.

Parking isn't as much a hassle as it would seem.  Once you get to downtown, just pick if you'd like to park close to the park (and pay higher rates) or a little further away and pay a little less.  Because of the Toyota Center, the George R. Brown Convention center and this is also downtown, plenty of places to park.  Having said that, one thing I will advise for Opening Day (and any future day game you may want to go to): get there early because you have to do more searching for parking.  That is because the office workers downtown may already have some parking taken up and are still at work while you are trying to get to the park.

My advice, look towards the south side of the park for the parking you need (since no parking really exist in the north side of the park (only half-way houses and old warehouses).  Look towards the area of the Toyota Center for the many, many, many areas to park for a minimal fee (5 to 10 dollars if I remember correctly, maybe 8 to 10).

If you get there early and want to eat somewhere with the kids (depending on their age and your inclination), go to The Park. It's a fancified mall with a food court that is slightly above the norm.  I think they have a Ninfa's in there and a Charlie's Hamburgers and also a bar-b-que place (Demetris?).  Good for kids and within a few blocks of the stadium.  If your kids are a little older and you just want to hang out, you can go to the now overrated "The Bus" right by the park.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:31:39 am by Noe in Austin »

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 11:49:43 am »
Parking isn't as much a hassle as it would seem.  Once you get to downtown, just pick if you'd like to park close to the park (and pay higher rates) or a little further away and pay a little less.  Because of the Toyota Center, the George R. Brown Convention center and this is also downtown, plenty of places to park.  Having said that, one thing I will advise for Opening Day (and any future day game you may want to go to): get there early because you have to do more searching for parking.  That is because the office workers downtown may already have some parking taken up and are still at work while you are trying to get to the park.

My advice, look towards the south side of the park for the parking you need (since no parking really exist in the north side of the park (only half-way houses and old warehouses).  Look towards the area of the Toyota Center for the many, many, many areas to park for a minimal fee (5 to 10 dollars if I remember correctly, maybe 8 to 10).

If you get there early and want to eat somewhere with the kids (depending on their age and your inclination), go to The Park. It's a fancified mall with a food court that is slightly above the norm.  I think they have a Ninfa's in there and a Charlie's Hamburgers and also a bar-b-que place (Demetris?).  Good for kids and within a few blocks of the stadium.  If your kids are a little older and you just want to hang out, you can go to the now overrated "The Bus" right by the park.

Good luck.
The BBQ place is Ottos.

Ermas is very good.  There are no menus, waiter tells you what the specials are.  Mostly Mexican.  Be Prepaired to pay 15 per plate (approx).  Someone else can probably give you directions as I only know how to drive there.  Within walking distance of the juice box.

Noe

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:16:14 pm »
The BBQ place is Ottos.

Ah yes, Ottos!  President Bush (the older) favorite bar-b-que.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:29:39 pm »
Ah yes, Ottos!  President Bush (the older) favorite bar-b-que.

IMHO, does not hold a stick to Pappas (also located downtown but not walking distance from MMP).  Burgers are good at Ottos.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:33:19 pm »

IMHO, does not hold a stick to Pappas (also located downtown but not walking distance from MMP).  Burgers are good at Ottos.
Mispelled Irmas, sorry.  Here is its location.

Irma's.

22 Chenevert St off Franklin   Houston TX 77002 713.222.0767 

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 07:11:01 pm »

Best section in the park IMO.  We sat there in 2006 but got bumped over to 310 this year despite buying a bigger plan.   ::)

Have fun!

baron

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 10:29:34 pm »
For night games, I park on the street on the west side, past the courthouses. Free.
Quote from: NYT
On the Web ... is a recording of what she describes as her latest track, “What We Want,” a hip-hop-inflected rhythm-and-blues tune that asks, "Can you handle me, boy?" and uses some dated slang, calling someone her "boo."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:03:37 am »
I went to the game Friday, it seems that at least one $5 lot is not $10.  The parking lot that was directly across from the CC is under construction. 

Last season, we would get there early enough to park on Crawford for free.

I'll be in 328, and 319 is better than 311.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Super Fan #99

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 08:46:59 am »
I'll be in 328, and 319 is better than 311.

328 a/k/a Hazel's Section is the best...

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 09:16:15 am »
328 a/k/a Hazel's Section is the best...

That woman is a trip.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 01:44:35 pm »
That woman is a trip.

Explain please for us thridbasies.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 01:48:34 pm »
Hazel is the usher in section 328, where the soon to be Mrs Navin R (aka suprefan99) has season tickets.   Hazel is 50-ish lady who leads the section in cheers and has about as much fun at a baseball game is as humanly possible.

I am sure some would find here a bit annoying, but I and Superfan really enjoy her as does Mama Navin R, when she sits with us. 

Hazel is about as nice and friendly a person you will meet.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 01:51:22 pm »
Hazel is the usher in section 328, where the soon to be Mrs Navin R (aka suprefan99) has season tickets.   Hazel is 50-ish lady who leads the section in cheers and has about as much fun at a baseball game is as humanly possible.

I am sure some would find here a bit annoying, but I and Superfan really enjoy her as does Mama Navin R, when she sits with us. 

Hazel is about as nice and friendly a person you will meet.

Perfect description.  She is definitely a fan of the Astros.  She's been in that section for at least 3 years.  Probably longer.

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 02:15:05 pm »
Danke.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 03:30:43 pm »

I don't think you'd find many in here who would object to genuine enthusiasm.  Actually, many decry the lack thereof.  What is annoying is the fake shit the Landry's crew, for example, try to drum up in the Crawford Boxes.  See also Oh, Day.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »
if you get a chance take one of the tours of the place. you will  see its a whole different world from the dome (seats are all the same color can you imagine that)
forever is composed entirely of nows

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 03:37:24 pm »
if you get a chance take one of the tours of the place. you will  see its a whole different world from the dome (seats are all the same color can you imagine that)

I was in the Dome last weekend and it's still frozen in time.  No playing surface, but all the signage etc. remains, as do the rainbow seats, jumbotrons, Oilers' banners etc. etc. etc.  Bizarre.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 03:37:53 pm »
I don't think you'd find many in here who would object to genuine enthusiasm.  Actually, many decry the lack thereof.  What is annoying is the fake shit the Landry's crew, for example, try to drum up in the Crawford Boxes.  See also Oh, Day.

Well it definitely isn't fake, this lady is as die-hard as it gets.    Sometimes it can be a bit cheesy, but outside of that it is pretty enjoyable. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Rammer33

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 03:46:42 pm »

none of em hold a stick to Thelma's which is also somewhat close to the park ...

Rammer33

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 03:48:12 pm »
Mispelled Irmas, sorry.  Here is its location.

Irma's.

22 Chenevert St off Franklin   Houston TX 77002 713.222.0767 

also another irmas pretty close to the park on the southwest side ... has a little bit more varied menu - pretty good though ...

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 11:56:31 am »
none of em hold a stick to Thelma's which is also somewhat close to the park ...

But Thelma's serves until they run out which is usually at or before 2 pm. Is pretty good.