Author Topic: MLB Extra Innings  (Read 4171 times)

David in Jackson

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
MLB Extra Innings
« on: March 29, 2007, 08:20:19 am »
Only a few days until opening day and still no resolution.

For those of us who don't get the Astros on local cable I can't tell you how much this stinks.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Craig

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Extra Innings
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:05:22 am »

For those of us who don't get the Astros on local cable I can't tell you how much this stinks.

I feel for you, I really do. I used Extra Innings to watch the Astros every year until last year. (Ironically, my coverage is worse now that I'm in the Astros' home area.) But not even knowing whether or not you're allowed to buy Extra Innings, with the season about to start, is inexcusable. Especially because it's just driven by greed and certainly not any consideration of the fans.

pravata

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:45:54 pm »

Major League Baseball has extended its deadline by one day for DirecTV's rivals to match the satellite telecaster's deal for out-of-market baseball games.

…"We continue to talk," Tim Brosnan, MLB's executive vice president for business said in today's New York Times. "We wouldn't have extended the deadline if we didn't think we could bring everybody in. (Wait, last week Selig says "..the number of people who can't get DirecTV is very, very small."}http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/03/30/ap3567281.html"

…Sports Business Daily characterized the negotiations as "extremely serious" and quoted sources close to the negotiations as saying that there is a "50-50" chance the deal will go through.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/04/senate_baseball02.html

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:04:05 pm »
Please God...

I purchased the Game Day Audio package as I do every year for $14.95.   The MLB TV package includes Game Day Audio, but if you purchase the TV package later after purchasing Audio, I can't find a way to be refunded the $14.95.  So, you really have paid for it twice.  More typical garbage from Bud.   All to watch a game on a tiny laptop.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:15:18 am »
Just came across this article, no word on if the Extra Innings deal has gone through or not, but a couple other interesting notes:

"Meanwhile, a dispute between Fox Sports Net and DirecTV and EchoStar could lead to FSN Midwest's Cardinals telecasts being blacked out this season in parts of Illinois, Iowa and Kentucky. FSN wants to be in the DBS providers' basic service package."

"FSN Houston will air 50 Astros games in HD this season, starting next month."

http://www.cable360.net/competition/dbs/22780.html
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Andyzipp

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 10:30:06 am »

"FSN Houston will air 50 Astros games in HD this season, starting next month."

http://www.cable360.net/competition/dbs/22780.html

On what effing channel?  Last year, I was told I had to buy extra innings to see the FSN-HD feed.

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:45:53 am »
On what effing channel?  Last year, I was told I had to buy extra innings to see the FSN-HD feed.

On Houston TWC, it's channel 302.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 02:13:54 pm »
"MLB is no longer placing a deadline on negotiations with In Demand...

An In Demand spokesperson confirmed that talks are continuing today but declined to comment on the status or tenor of discussions. The fact that talks continue without deadline looks promising."

http://www.cable360.net/competition/dbs/22800.html
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:31:45 pm »
Looks like they got it done.  Hooray for sanity.

Major League Baseball announced today that iN DEMAND has entered into a seven-year agreement in principle to carry the MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games and will distribute the MLB Channel, which is scheduled to launch in January 2009.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070404&content_id=1879904&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 09:40:37 pm »
Thank Jeebus.  2 games in and MLB.TV was already getting old.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:08:13 pm »
<satisfactory snort>, <golf clap>.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:32:01 pm »
From what I've read elsewhere, this deal is only for cable and doesn't include Dish Network.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tvpackage&prov=ap&type=lgns?kewl

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 08:09:12 am »
Hallejulah!

I still haven't seen an Astros game this season (though they were good ones to miss - I didn't have to throw things at the TV) and don't have to worry about watching a game on a laptop.

I'll be curious to see the cost.   I think the early bird price last year was $159.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 09:08:02 am »
I'll be curious to see the cost.   I think the early bird price last year was $159.

"IN Demand began making games available to cable systems in progress starting at 8 p.m. EDT Wednesday, president Robert Jacobson said. The package will be available for $159 this year through a free preview period that will extend into next week, he said, but the 2007 price for those subscribing after that has not been set."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 09:21:20 am »
From what I've read elsewhere, this deal is only for cable and doesn't include Dish Network.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tvpackage&prov=ap&type=lgns?kewl

It's only for some cable providers too, like Time Warner and Comcast. My brother lives in Brooklyn where Cablevision is his only option, so he is still SOL for the 'Stros games.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 04:23:18 pm »
It's only for some cable providers too, like Time Warner and Comcast. My brother lives in Brooklyn where Cablevision is his only option, so he is still SOL for the 'Stros games.

According to the press release IN Demand will offer MLBEI to other cable companies.

Quote from the PR:

iN DEMAND owners Comcast, Cox Communications and Time Warner Cable have agreed to carry the package, effective immediately. iN DEMAND also will offer to make the MLB Extra Innings subscription package available to other cable companies across the U.S.