Author Topic: RIP Lou Reed  (Read 2645 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Lou Reed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 04:16:57 pm »
This isn't quite how I felt when John Lennon died, but it's closer than I wanted to be.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

strosrays

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:21:05 pm »
This isn't quite how I felt when John Lennon died, but it's closer than I wanted to be.

Very much so for me, as well.  I am truly shaken.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 04:39:35 pm »
Just seeing this. Wow.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »
Lou Reed had the ability to make things complex and simple at the same time, beautiful and integral. I didn't love everything he did, but I loved that he did the things he wanted to.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:48 pm »
I've been swamped with this. So many of my friends are in shock and there is that common tide we're all dealing with. I'm trying to immerse myself in another project and even that has plenty of Lou Reed in it. Every person on that team is dealing with it. It's not like losing a relative, it's not like that at all. It's finding the end of a thread that we've had in our fabric for decades and there isn't going to be any more of that thread. What we have is all we've got, and in the end what more pure truth can there be?

I posted this on Facebook a little earlier and I think it holds up.

The Beatles were there in my earliest memories, a foundation of my childhood. Lou Reed was that bridge to growth, the dark intelligence carried on the back of churning guitars, decadence and the punk attitude honed and gleaming in the intermittent light of my teenage years. I hadn't listened to anything new from him in years, but I didn't need to. All the scars are still close to the surface, and I run my fingers along them every day.

strosrays

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:50:34 pm »
I've been swamped with this. So many of my friends are in shock and there is that common tide we're all dealing with. I'm trying to immerse myself in another project and even that has plenty of Lou Reed in it. Every person on that team is dealing with it. It's not like losing a relative, it's not like that at all. It's finding the end of a thread that we've had in our fabric for decades and there isn't going to be any more of that thread. What we have is all we've got, and in the end what more pure truth can there be?

I posted this on Facebook a little earlier and I think it holds up.

The Beatles were there in my earliest memories, a foundation of my childhood. Lou Reed was that bridge to growth, the dark intelligence carried on the back of churning guitars, decadence and the punk attitude honed and gleaming in the intermittent light of my teenage years. I hadn't listened to anything new from him in years, but I didn't need to. All the scars are still close to the surface, and I run my fingers along them every day.

Very nicely put.

I am hardly as eloquent, in my sense of loss, as you are; but still, I am left sitting here, wondering why I am staring at the laptop screen, and impulsively playing old Lou Reed and Velvet Underground videos on YouTube. Loudly. To no one. To myself.

All I know is this - the post-Velvets, early 1970s solo LPS were revelatory to me, and Rock And Roll Animal changed something basic, maybe all the way down to my DNA.

Then again, maybe not.  But, that is what it feels like.

R.I.P., Lou.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 08:03:54 pm »
Rock And Roll Animal was a revelation for this suburban kid. That's probably a cliche, but things are cliche for a reason. The intro to Sweet Jane is one of the great pieces of rock and roll.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 11:31:12 pm »
I usually get a private thrill out of the fact that no one much cares about my life's various touchstones. Sometimes, though, it can piss me off.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:04:00 am »
I usually get a private thrill out of the fact that no one much cares about my life's various touchstones. Sometimes, though, it can piss me off.

I'm sure if he had a beard, a flannel shirt, played some acoustic instruments or had a whiny death wish you'd get a better reaction. Sui generis is so passé.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:05:33 am by Ron Brand »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:53:42 am »
I was never a Lou Reed/Velvet Underground fan.  By the time I heard of them, Sterling Morrison was a graduate student at UT and the Velvet Underground was old news.  Old news just didn't carry so long then, and there was always something else and something new to listen to. 

One funny thing about Walk on the Wild Side, I was in Vernon, Texas, in high school when it came out, and there was only AM radio.  To listen to music I mostly listened to AM out of Wichita Falls, and they played Walk on the Wild Side pretty regularly between 1972 and 1974.  It was the strangest thing to hear.  I always figured it was so completely out of bounds that no one ever figured out what the song was about, but it oddly left me with the impression that Lou Reed was a novelty act, chosen as a joke by the hip and worldly disc jockeys in Wichita Falls, Texas.  I don't think I ever recovered from that impression, and I never really got back to him.

RIP.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:15:14 am »
I listened to the Velvet Underground records in college to point of memorization. I'm not sure what effect it had on me, except it made me want to move to NY (which I didn't do and don't really regret not doing) and made me wonder why more drummers don't imitate Moe Tucker.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:09 am »
In eighth grade we had this really cool teacher. Really cool. So cool that he had been to Woodstock, used to race trials bikes, and would hang out behind the school and smoke with us. It might've been ninth grade when it came out, but it was important to impress this guy and I had copies of Blackmore Rising and Live 1969 that I'd taped and would play at breaks at school on my cassette deck. There were a few of us who carried those encyclopedia-sized cassette decks around and would play music when we could, sort of a movable party.

Anyway, I remember playing parts of them while he was around, which he enjoyed. I was especially enamored of the guitar sound on Lisa Says, and although I loved the Blackmore record it was that Velvets set that really kicked my ass. I never could figure out why he always asked me to play Tarot Woman though, and didn't seem to favor the VU record at all.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 11:21:31 am »
I listened to the Velvet Underground records in college to point of memorization. I'm not sure what effect it had on me, except it made me want to move to NY (which I didn't do and don't really regret not doing) and made me wonder why more drummers don't imitate Moe Tucker.

I was convinced I was going to New York as soon as I got out of college. I got married though, and that stopped that but it's just as well. I'm certain of what I would've gotten in to if I'd followed that muse.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 11:45:20 am »
...made me wonder why more drummers don't imitate Moe Tucker.

A bandmate and I were having a discussion with our drummer. We were most likely trying to get him to simplify what he was doing but I really don't remember. My bandmate told him something that I will never forget regarding Moe Tucker, "To you she sounds like an idiot; to me she sounds like a genius."
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 04:57:38 pm »
I was never a Lou Reed/Velvet Underground fan. 

RIP.

+1 I listened to nothing but black soul/R&B music back then.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »
+1 I listened to nothing but black soul/R&B music back then.

No, you think you listened to nothing but black soul/R&B music back then.  As I recall your descriptions of the 70s and 80s, actual results may have differed.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 05:53:42 pm »
I only listen to Borghesia.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 06:31:12 pm »
No, you think you listened to nothing but black soul/R&B music back then.  As I recall your descriptions of the 70s and 80s, actual results may have differed.

Touche. But my musical tastes were informed by my early childhood, having been raised by a black maid. We listened to Sam & Dave, Otis Redding and Rufus Thomas. Lots of Stax Records out of Memphis. I remember when Sam Cooke was killed and when Otis Redding died in the plane crash. By the 70's, I was listening to Earth, Wind & Fire, the Ohio Players, Manhattans, Stylistics and Dramatics, together with the Tams and the Spinners. I never really ever even got into the Beatles.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

strosrays

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 07:18:12 pm »
Touche. But my musical tastes were informed by my early childhood, having been raised by a black maid. We listened to Sam & Dave, Otis Redding and Rufus Thomas. Lots of Stax Records out of Memphis. I remember when Sam Cooke was killed and when Otis Redding died in the plane crash. By the 70's, I was listening to Earth, Wind & Fire, the Ohio Players, Manhattans, Stylistics and Dramatics, together with the Tams and the Spinners. I never really ever even got into the Beatles.

I listened to all that.

And Lou Reed.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 08:48:52 pm »
I listened to all that.

And Lou Reed.

Did your maid listen to La Monte Young?

strosrays

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 09:38:25 pm »
Did your maid listen to La Monte Young?

Well, I didn't have a maid. Or, a "black maid", in the parlance.

That was my downfall, I assume.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 07:33:26 am »

My dog loves 70's R&B.  He loves James Brown, but he really digs on Sly and the Family Stone.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 08:20:36 am »
Well, I didn't have a maid. Or, a "black maid", in the parlance.

That was my downfall, I assume.

A man needs a maid.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 09:32:48 am »
I listened to all that.

And Lou Reed.

I remember listening to Take a Walk on the Wild Side because a chick that I was banging entertaining (is that better, BG?) liked it. That was the same crazed chick who dragged me kicking and screaming to watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show, where I made sure that I was so fucked up going in that I fell asleep during the movie. I've never seen that movie. I'm more of an Animal House kind of guy anyway

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 09:36:49 am »
My dog loves 70's R&B.  He loves James Brown, but he really digs on Sly and the Family Stone.

I neglected to mention that I too loved James Brown and actually contributed money to the bail efforts when he was put in jail back in 1988 after that wild driving rampage, and I seem to recall him shooting a vehicle too. I loved everything on Soul Train, including soul brother no. 1, Don Cornelius.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 09:41:05 am »
A man needs a maid.

What a gentleman really needs is a gentleman's gentleman like Jeeves.

I loved Betty (our maid) and cried like a baby when she passed away in 1988 because she really was a part of our family, and I have very fond memories of her and the life lessons that she taught me. Our babysitter most of the time when I was a kid was my mother's nanny.