Author Topic: RIP Gene Elston  (Read 3047 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
RIP Gene Elston
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:23:34 pm »
If you haven't heard, Elston passed away at the age of 93.  Don't have any more at this point, but I'm sure there'll be a lot later.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Gene Elston
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:15:48 pm »
I was one of those who grew up listening to Gene. With all due respect to the young Robert Ford, Gene was, is, and always will be, the voice of the Astros.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

rpntex

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:19:07 pm »
I was one of those who grew up listening to Gene. With all due respect to the young Robert Ford, Gene was, is, and always will be, the voice of the Astros.

Yes!  Gene, Lowell Passe, and Harry Calas were the Astros' radio crew when I was growing up. Regardless of who is calling the game, those are the three voices I hear.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 10:33:08 pm »
A great, great one
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:28:42 am »
The best. 

Never understood why he was fired.

How did he put up with Passe?
E come vivo? Vivo.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 09:48:07 am »
at a loss for words the usual ones done seem to fit for one who broadcast so well. rest in peace
forever is composed entirely of nows

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:45:55 am »

Me, too. I think he taught me a lot about baseball.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 10:47:47 am »
The best. 

Never understood why he was fired.

How did he put up with Passe?

I don't think he had trouble putting up with Passe. I'm sure there were a lot of listeners that preferred Loel and his style and he was the anti-Elston. Milo may have been a different story. I think there was a power-play or something going on there.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »
Gene Elston was THE voice of the Astros. RIP
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 06:43:30 pm »
Next to Vin Scully, Gene Elston was the best PBP man in my opinion. The listener always knew exactly the game situation at all times.

I remember Gene's call of Scott's No-No when the last batter came to the plate: "Giants are hitless through 8-2/3rds"...Gene didn't give a damn about superstitions.

His son, Kim used to own a bar on W. Alabama called T.K. Bitterman's. I had the pleasure of buying Gene a beer there once.

R.I.P. Gene.
He breezed him, one more time!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:41 pm »
Next to Vin Scully, Gene Elston was the best PBP man in my opinion. The listener always knew exactly the game situation at all times.

I remember Gene's call of Scott's No-No when the last batter came to the plate: "Giants are hitless through 8-2/3rds"...Gene didn't give a damn about superstitions.

His son, Kim used to own a bar on W. Alabama called T.K. Bitterman's. I had the pleasure of buying Gene a beer there once.

R.I.P. Gene.

I met him once. It was a thrill.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 02:09:44 am »
His son, Kim used to own a bar on W. Alabama called T.K. Bitterman's. I had the pleasure of buying Gene a beer there once
That was always a Cub bar, decor-wise at least, (great place to watch games, especially after an early afternoon at the Icehouse).  I never would've  guessed any Astros affiliation.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 10:39:04 am »
That was always a Cub bar, decor-wise at least, (great place to watch games, especially after an early afternoon at the Icehouse).  I never would've  guessed any Astros affiliation.

WTF?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 10:47:29 am »
WTF?

Very Chicagocentric.  Which may make sense...Elston was from Iowa and his first gig was with the Cubs. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 01:04:31 pm »
Very Chicagocentric.  Which may make sense...Elston was from Iowa and his first gig was with the Cubs.
Kim had a framed set of Tinker, Evers, and Chance cigarette cards hanging in the bar.
He breezed him, one more time!

Kit

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 02:05:21 pm »
RIP Gene.  Gene was the best, a very no nonsense announcer. You knew exactly what was happening at all times. Word was, that he had a egg timer that he kept in front of him so he would remember to give the score at least once every 3 minutes. I had heard the main reason he lost his job was his low key call of the Scott no-hitter. He made the call and then let the crowd noise take-over for awhile, which I thought was cool. But apparently McMullen was incensed that he didn't liven up the call more. He preferred the Milo over embellishment type of announcer.
Remember Jesus Alou being called out of the 1st base coaching box to pinch-hit a double vs. the Reds in '79 I think, to win a crucial game, and he patted Morgan on top of the head (ala Benny Hill w/the little bald guy) and Little Joe got pissed.....yeah,that was great.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 04:23:44 pm »
RIP Gene.  Gene was the best, a very no nonsense announcer. You knew exactly what was happening at all times. Word was, that he had a egg timer that he kept in front of him so he would remember to give the score at least once every 3 minutes. I had heard the main reason he lost his job was his low key call of the Scott no-hitter. He made the call and then let the crowd noise take-over for awhile, which I thought was cool. But apparently McMullen was incensed that he didn't liven up the call more. He preferred the Milo over embellishment type of announcer.

I think there are two types of PBP announcers in baseball. Elston was a technician. It was about the game with little embellishment as you say. Scully is one of those. Then there are the Personalities.  Caray and Milo come to mind. And Loel Passe. I'm not  taking sides and saying one is better than the other. Personal preference. But Elston and  Passe were a good team because you got both with the  same broadcast.  I had heard the McMullen story, too. I think he also preferred Milo because he was a better salesman. Always selling tix hustling the sales and building the "show". I got the feeling Elston found that distasteful. Elston's style may even be considered real old school today.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:51:17 am »

My dad bought me the Milo call of that game on CD several years back. It's outstanding. I guess Elston was doing TV back then?

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 12:52:06 pm »
I think there are two types of PBP announcers in baseball. Elston was a technician. It was about the game with little embellishment as you say. Scully is one of those. Then there are the Personalities.  Caray and Milo come to mind. And Loel Passe. I'm not  taking sides and saying one is better than the other. Personal preference. But Elston and  Passe were a good team because you got both with the  same broadcast.  I had heard the McMullen story, too. I think he also preferred Milo because he was a better salesman. Always selling tix hustling the sales and building the "show". I got the feeling Elston found that distasteful. Elston's style may even be considered real old school today.

I heard Elston interviewed long before he stopped doing Astros games, and he was asked about Passe.  Everyone was surprised when he responded "To tell you the truth, I really don't know what Loel is up to or where he's living these days".  That's probably an indication that they were colleagues, but not particularly close.

Like many others, I heard he was very disgusted with the push for constant marketing.  He supposedly told the powers that be that the ninth inning of a tie game is not the time to be reminding listeners that it's 25-cent hot dogs at all Tuesday home games.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:41 pm »
My dad bought me the Milo call of that game on CD several years back. It's outstanding. I guess Elston was doing TV back then?

That may have been the period when Elston and Hamilton each did radio and tv for a few innings. I think I remember that. But Elston was on TV when the last out was made of the Scott game. I was in the park but I've seen the clip many times.