Author Topic: iOS 7  (Read 1820 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
iOS 7
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:51:34 pm »
So I finally had to upgrade to iOS 7 on my iPhones. I fucking hate it, but can't stand in the way of change (notice I didn't say "progress").  Jobs is rolling over in his grave over this one.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Nate in IA

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • To the stars...
    • View Profile
Re: iOS 7
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »
Funny, I didn't have to do that on my Samsung... just saying...

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:59 pm »

I carry two phones - business and personal.  It's completely unnecessary and arbitrary, but some nights I like to be able to turn work off and maintain connectivity.  Due to i07 I've had to upgrade both of my phones and I really, really wanted to switch at least one to an Android phone.  But all of my Apple products sync so well and I didn't feel like relearning something for no real reason.

Have you ever used an iPhone?  Is Android really better?  Genuinely curious.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:43:37 pm »

Probably because your Samsung isn't an Apple product. It has an operating system, though, and it has gone through upgrades as well.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:21:22 am »
I don't like iOS.  That said, I think iOS 7 was a good change overall (the old iOS was looking pretty dated on newer iPhones/iPads) but they went a little overboard on some of the design elements.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:23:00 am »
I don't like iOS.  That said, I think iOS 7 was a good change overall (the old iOS was looking pretty dated on newer iPhones/iPads) but they went a little overboard on some of the design elements.

I don't remember what it was like before the change.  I do remember going through and turning a bunch of stuff off so that my battery didn't drain, and I still think it drains faster than it used to.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:46:06 am »
So I finally had to upgrade to iOS 7 on my iPhones. I fucking hate it, but can't stand in the way of change (notice I didn't say "progress").  Jobs is rolling over in his grave over this one.

They went berserk on the minimalist look, to the point that it's almost transparent.  They also moved a lot of the buttons around for no good reason, a la Windows.  You get used to it, but that doesn't mean you like it...also a la Windows.

Hey Apple!  Microsoft's consumer rapport model is not the one to follow.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:52:02 am »

The design looks cartoonish. The graphics are flat and monochromatic looking. The font looks like a typewriter. In short, it looks like it was designed on a Commodore 64 and printed on a dot matrix. The new Apple brass say this is a good thing because realistic 3d graphics are only for newbies just starting out on computers, so the primitive look is a sign of a more mature and savvy user. I say it looks like shit.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:10:14 am »
My Commodore 64 was my favorite computer ever.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:40:09 am »
DOS, motherfucker! Do you speak it?
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 10:07:59 am »
My Commodore 64 was my favorite computer ever.

+1.

I played Uridium for hours days months.

The C64 was also my first introduction to baseball; I remember playing Hardball and trying to load the bases and take a walk to see if it forced in a run.  I had no idea how to use the pitchers / pitches though.

There was also a platform game where you had to collect pieces of a puzzle and put it all together to kill the bad guy...but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.  It had synthesized speech, which was pretty awesome at the time.  I can still remember the sounds the little robots made as they rolled back and forth waiting to zap you.

ETA:  Boom!  Impossible Mission
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:18:30 am by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 11:00:56 am »
DOS, motherfucker! Do you speak it?

I have some software at work I have to run from a DOS command prompt. They should really have a built-in option to use UNIX commands once you type in 'ls' for 'dir' the twelfth time.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 11:12:23 am »
Hardball and Impossble Mission were extremely excellent as far as I can remember. I don't think I understood what the various pitches did either.

Aside from the 126 games I had for the C64, I had a Radio Shack robot connected through a home-built adapter. I used it for various fun, but not particularly scientific science-fair projects. I wrote a pretty fun hockey game even though I didn't know the rules of hockey. I once spent several months trying to re-write various games I found in magazines into C64 Forth. I got about half-way into building a radio telescope my senior year in high-school until I figured out that I couldn't afford the amplifier.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:11 am »
Hardball and Impossble Mission were extremely excellent as far as I can remember. I don't think I understood what the various pitches did either.

Aside from the 126 games I had for the C64, I had a Radio Shack robot connected through a home-built adapter. I used it for various fun, but not particularly scientific science-fair projects. I wrote a pretty fun hockey game even though I didn't know the rules of hockey. I once spent several months trying to re-write various games I found in magazines into C64 Forth. I got about half-way into building a radio telescope my senior year in high-school until I figured out that I couldn't afford the amplifier.

I drank some lime-flavored vodka once. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:54 am »

Chicks dig amplifiers.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 11:43:38 am »
Anyway, my only point was no one cared about stupid crap like fonts and semi-transparent icons back when computers were fun.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 12:22:19 pm »
Anyway, my only point was no one cared about stupid crap like fonts and semi-transparent icons back when computers were fun.

My school had, for the time, quite a sophisticated computer lab.  I was never at the point of being able to program in binary, but I could program the shit out of BASIC.  I created programs for simple games, so that stuff would occur during class (like messages flashing up on the screen) and also one monster that did a big chunk of my maths homework and served as my project for Computer Science.  (Got an "A" in CS, "B" in Maths)

A part of me actually misses the early days of DOS-based Windows, where a new computer or new OS update meant getting under the hood and "fixing" all the idiot and nanny features that choked performance.  There's something about the "boot and use" simplicity of modern systems that leaves a little hole in my soul.

See also mobiles, Auto.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:24:00 pm by Limey »