Author Topic: After 17 years...  (Read 6379 times)

LonghornCDR

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
After 17 years...
« on: November 09, 2010, 02:44:58 pm »
My military career is bringing me back home to Texas.  Next tour will be in San Antonio working on Ft. Sam Houston.  I've never lived in San Antonio so would appreciate any input on good areas to live.  Looking to rent a house with a fenced yard.  Schools aren't a concern since we have no kids.  Optimal commute is 30 minutes, but longer is not a huge deal.  Austin side is a plus as I anticipate frequent trips for UT sporting events.

Any recommendations for restaurants, watering holes, etc. are also much appreciated.

Can't wait to get back.
60% of the time... it works everytime.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: After 17 years...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:45:28 pm »
welcome home.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:56:07 pm »
Welcome back!

Alamo Heights is a nice area.  And things that way and west.  I think most of the area between Ft. Sam and Randolph is okay.  While I grew up south of that area, I don't know that I would want to live there.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:06 pm »
My military career is bringing me back home to Texas. 

Congrats, welcome back and THANK YOU!
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Gizzmonic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »
Welcome back!  I lived there for 3 years, was a big fan of the medical center area.  Not too bad a commute for Ft. Sam, I wouldn't think, and it's in the NW so that you can just hop on 410 to 35 to get up to Austin.
Grab another Coke and let's die

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:00:14 pm »
Welcome Home!  Thank you for your dedicated service to the grand ole US of A!
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:55:47 pm »
Thanks for your service.  Welcome home!
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 05:00:44 pm »
Welcome back to the Lone Star State.  Eat at Los Barrios.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 06:49:57 pm »
Check out the Terrell Heights neighborhood that is wedged between Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills.  78209 is a great zip code and I miss living there.
Purity of Essence

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:29:36 am »
Welcome home!  Hook em!
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 09:13:17 am »
Also, I'm a big fan of Oak Hills Tavern, it's a relaxed dive/neighborhood type bar in the medical center area off Fredricksburg.  Just watch out for the crappy homemade wooden chairs, they'll give you tetanus in no time!
Grab another Coke and let's die

Noe

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:53 am »
Check out the Terrell Heights neighborhood that is wedged between Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills.  78209 is a great zip code and I miss living there.

I second that recommendation, Terrell Heights is where you should look first.  For some nice places to dine, try Silo (two locations, plus a new off-shoot place called NOSH) and also Paisanos (three locations, Riverwalk, Quarry and 1604).  Silo is also a good watering hole if you just want to hang out with friends.  The original Silo in Alamo Heights isn't that far from Fort Sam.  If you want to live a little bit away from it all, try some of the communities on the north side of 1604, like Redland Woods or Stone Oak Communities and so forth.  Nice neighborhoods, but would require you to jump on 281 to get to work and that is sometimes a horrible commute.  However, the nieghborhoods in that area are really nice and of course are definitely on the Austin side and makes the trek to Austin that much quicker.

If you want to try the most authentic Tex-Mex in San Antonio, go to Mi Tierra (My Land) near the riverwalk, just for the experience.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:58:48 am by Noe in Austin »

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:49:50 am »
Welcome back, and a big thank you!
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:44 am »
 Nice neighborhoods, but would require you to jump on 281 to get to work and that is sometimes a horrible commute.

i worry that his commute might have been much worse over the last few years.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 11:16:03 am »
If you want to try the most authentic Tex-Mex in San Antonio, go to Mi Tierra (My Land) near the riverwalk, just for the experience.

Just to be a bit more specific, Mi Tierra is in El Mercado, and is absolutely fantastic.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 12:49:33 pm »
Just to be a bit more specific, Mi Tierra is in El Mercado, and is absolutely fantastic.

indeed!
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 01:09:58 pm »
I appreciate all of the kind thoughts and the information.  I have a feeling that Mi Tierra will be one of the first places we visit when we get to town!  I grew up on Tex-Mex and have been acclimated to Baja Mex after several tours in San Diego.  Can't wait to get re-acquainted.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 02:33:39 pm »
somehow i feel safer now
forever is composed entirely of nows

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »
somehow i feel safer now
You need Longhorn LCD on that wall.
Purity of Essence

Noe

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:13 pm »
I appreciate all of the kind thoughts and the information.  I have a feeling that Mi Tierra will be one of the first places we visit when we get to town!  I grew up on Tex-Mex and have been acclimated to Baja Mex after several tours in San Diego.  Can't wait to get re-acquainted.

I would suggest a slower retro-burn for your re-entry back into Tex-Mex planet.  IOW - don't go for the cabrito right off the bat.  I suggest perhaps Huevos Rancheros for a Sunday brunch just to get acclimated.  And then follow up with some Pan de Dulce (Mexican Sweet Bread).  That should start you off right and begin your second life as a Tejano!

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:26 pm »
Welcome home.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:15 am »
Welcome back!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 12:19:10 pm »
Welcome back.  There are great Tex-Mex breakfasts at Blancos downtown, which also has great Tex-Mex atmosphere but I've only been there for breakfasts.  Last time I was there I had lunch at Taco Taco, which is supposedly great, and it was good but I failed to have the puffy taco.  Judgment is still out.  Acenar on the river is a wee bit precious, but I had great mole there.  Rosarios on a Friday night is might lively, and the food's good.  I've now exhausted my knowledge, except for Mi Tiera and that place down on the river.

Oh, and Gloria at the Pearl Brewery is outstanding, though strictly speaking it's not Tex-Mex.  It makes me jealous that it's in San Antonio.  It was on NPR a few weeks ago, which was pretty cool.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 05:20:01 pm »
"...the place down on the river"?  If it's Rio-Rio, it's a tad pricy but above average fare considering how bad the stuff around the corner at Casa Rio is.  However, Casa Rio is the bargain joint on the riverwalk, so get a river table, order tortillas and beers/margs, and take a load off.

I'm a fan of Rosario's, the place NeilT just touched on.  It's just a tad south of downtown on the corner of Alamo and St. Mary's.  It doesn't look like a Texican restaurant--they damn near try to make it a nightclub half the time--but it's a good spot.

Welcome home and congratulations.  
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:39 pm »
"...the place down on the river"?  If it's Rio-Rio, it's a tad pricy but above average fare considering how bad the stuff around the corner at Casa Rio is.  However, Casa Rio is the bargain joint on the riverwalk, so get a river table, order tortillas and beers/margs, and take a load off.

I'm a fan of Rosario's, the place NeilT just touched on.  It's just a tad south of downtown on the corner of Alamo and St. Mary's.  It doesn't look like a Texican restaurant--they damn near try to make it a nightclub half the time--but it's a good spot.

Welcome home and congratulations.  

Rio-Rio is the best restaurant on the River Walk and I'm partial to the Zuni Grill across the river from Rio-Rio as well.  Though, no trip to the River Walk is complete without taking in the Jim Cullum Band at The Landing.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:01:52 pm by Bench »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 10:27:42 pm »
Welcome home and thank you thank you thank you for your service to our country.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »
Well... top candidate for home base right now is Schertz.  Some great friends of ours have a house there that is available for us to rent.  Close to Randolph and the associated military amenities and facilities.  Thanks for all of the help and the kind words!

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »
Watch out for that speed trap on I-35 around the Schertz exit.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 04:28:34 pm »
That are has boomed over the last 10 years.  It is a pretty good choice.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 10:28:49 pm »
Watch out for that speed trap on I-35 around the Schertz exit.
Point of order: there's no speed trap there--it's a 70mph zone all the way through Schertz.  I wouldn't push things by throwing soiled underwear out the window, though.
Purity of Essence

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 11:00:19 pm »
I wouldn't push things by throwing soiled underwear out the window, though.

When you drive around with ybbodeus you can't be surprised when that sort of thing happens.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 06:32:37 pm »
I'm banned in Kyoto.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 11:38:17 am »
And the Navy taketh away... just got the call this morning that my job was allocated to another community within the Navy, so I get to continue wandering in the wilderness for a few more years.  What a kick in the junk.  Gotta take the bad along with the good, amirite?

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 11:48:27 am »
And the Navy taketh away... just got the call this morning that my job was allocated to another community within the Navy, so I get to continue wandering in the wilderness for a few more years.  What a kick in the junk.  Gotta take the bad along with the good, amirite?

Sorry to hear that, man. Thank you though, for your continued service.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 11:55:28 am »

That sucks.  Isn't there a Jonas brother who can be drafted or something?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:47 pm »

Shit, man, sorry to hear that. This will make your eventual return that much sweeter.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 12:56:49 pm »

Thank you, again. Be safe, and find someplace with good margaritas soon.

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »
Point of order: there's no speed trap there--it's a 70mph zone all the way through Schertz.  I wouldn't push things by throwing soiled underwear out the window, though.

Just watch the exit.  You best be going 45. Not 46.  45.  Got nailed there two times in a 6 month period.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 10:52:11 am »

Well, damn. I'm so sorry your return to The Homeland has been delayed, but many thanks for your continued service and dedication.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand