Author Topic: Astros in Round Rock  (Read 3173 times)

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
Astros in Round Rock
« on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:16 pm »
Which players usually play at that game?  Which ones have in the past?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

remy

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Astros in Round Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:36:13 pm »
At this point, I'm more worried about whether the game will even happen than I am about who will and won't be there.  Another big round of rain and storms is going to hit central Texas on Thursday/Friday.  :(

But if it does happen, I think we'll see most of the marquee Astros on the field.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:41:35 pm »
At this point, I'm more worried about whether the game will even happen than I am about who will and won't be there.  Another big round of rain and storms is going to hit central Texas on Thursday/Friday.  :(

But if it does happen, I think we'll see most of the marquee Astros on the field.

Last year it was basically the opening day lineup to begin with, and then subs came in as the game progressed.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 06:20:59 pm »
They screwed up last year's game.  IIRC, it was an early first pitch (6:05pm), and everybody was stuck in rush hour traffic.  Doesn't help that highway 79 is only 4 lanes.  There were still people entering the stadium in the 7th inning.  I'm not going this year, but I hope for everyone else's sake that they aren't starting the game until after 7.

Of course, by the 5th inning the Astros were leading by something like 9-2 so all of the roster fillers had been swapped in by the time we got there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:22:39 pm by Waldo »

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 06:52:39 pm »
They screwed up last year's game.  IIRC, it was an early first pitch (6:05pm), and everybody was stuck in rush hour traffic.  Doesn't help that highway 79 is only 4 lanes.  There were still people entering the stadium in the 7th inning.  I'm not going this year, but I hope for everyone else's sake that they aren't starting the game until after 7.

Of course, by the 5th inning the Astros were leading by something like 9-2 so all of the roster fillers had been swapped in by the time we got there.

Oh man! That reminds me! I absolutely flattened a couple of teenagers that weren't walking fast enough as I was dashing to my seats in the bottom of the 2nd.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

loganck

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:55:52 pm »
Reminds me of the Clemens start there last year.  That game was at 7, but coming from South Austin takes well over an hour that time of day.  I-35 is god-awful, and 79 is nearly as bad.
I can pretty much only attend RR games on the weekend unless my lady and I take off work early.  It's a shame, really.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 06:58:57 pm »
Reminds me of the Clemens start there last year.  That game was at 7, but coming from South Austin takes well over an hour that time of day.  I-35 is god-awful, and 79 is nearly as bad.
I can pretty much only attend RR games on the weekend unless my lady and I take off work early.  It's a shame, really.

You should look in to the backroads some. I can't speak for anything south of 290 headed to Brenham, but I know you can backroad it and know 20+ minutes off the drive if you sneak your way to Dessau Road and press north until you get to 79 in Hutto...

Just a thought.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:26:13 pm »
i am in nw austin in the arboritum area. we take the new toll road over to hit the round rock area. it is a bit of a shock when you hit 35 but smooth saiing and only  75cents to get there. much easier than driving around
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 07:44:10 pm »
i think it is a split squad game. dunno which group will come.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

pravata

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 08:08:31 pm »
i think it is a split squad game. dunno which group will come.

Detroit gets the B team

Houston's travel roster to Lakeland will likely consist mostly of Double-A players, considering the Triple-A Express also has to be at The Dell Diamond on Thursday night.

Garner spoke with Tigers manager Jim Leyland when the two teams met for the first spring game and Leyland said he had no problem with the Astros' plans...

"We'll use our talented, yet lesser known players," Garner said.
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070327&content_id=1861584&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

matadorph

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 08:21:24 pm »
i am in nw austin in the arboritum area. we take the new toll road over to hit the round rock area. it is a bit of a shock when you hit 35 but smooth saiing and only  75cents to get there. much easier than driving around

Likewise, anyone in Central or South Austin should probably consider taking the 130 toll road north to Hutto since it spits you out close to Dell Diamond.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:24:28 pm »

Call me a yuppie, but I LOVE the toll road. Makes my trips to Temple so much more conv enient.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 01:32:13 am »
Call me a yuppie, but I LOVE the toll road. Makes my trips to Temple so much more conv enient.

I'm a big fan of the Loop 1 toll road and I don't even have to use it.  It has relieved the huge bottleneck on northbound Mopac at Parmer, which is where we live.  My 30+ minute rush hour drive home from Hyde Park now takes no more than 25 minutes, and I'm taking the Parmer exit at 65mph instead of 20mph.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 07:50:06 am »
IIRC, there was no exibition game between the Express and the Astros last year.  It was two years ago, the year of the World Series team in 2005.  Andy Pettitte started for the 'Stros and Wandy for the Express.  I think it's an every other year affair, before that it was played in 2003, Astros started Lima Time.  Last years game exibition opener at the Dell was Express v Hooks.

As for the teams, the only players not to make to RR in 2005 were Berkman and Clemens.
RO RASROS!

loganck

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 07:52:31 am »
Correct
Houston last played in Round Rock on April 1, 2005, helping draw 12,201 fans to The Dell Diamond. The crowd ranks as the largest to witness an exhibition game in franchise history and seventh overall.
http://www.roundrockexpress.com/default.asp?PageId=84&ArticleId=1021

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 09:00:09 am »

Taking the toll road all the way to 130; north to Hutto and then back in-bound on 79 to the DD is very nice.  3-4 miles farther, but quick & easy.
Up in the Air

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 09:05:49 am »
definitely going through Hutto is the better option.  You'll be going the opposite way of traffic.

A-Rod

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 09:13:09 am »
I live over near Hutto on 685..over in Blackhawk on the golf course. Pretty nice area and real short drive to see the Express play every week.