Author Topic: "The Kings of Squat!" - Jimmy D  (Read 1919 times)

No? in Austin

"The Kings of Squat!" - Jimmy D
« on: August 03, 2006, 03:09:15 pm »
Out-freaking-standing!  If you missed the genius remark by Jimmy D. last night, you missed a highlight of the game.  The Astros broadcast put up pictures of the major league players with the most time logged as catchers in the majors.

Amongst them wer Piazza and Ausmus of course.  Brownie introduces the names and highlights both Piazza and Ausmus.  While he's doing that, Jimmy D mutters "that's a lot of squatting right there!".  Brownie chuckles and then Jimmy D. drops the instant classic:

"The Kings of Squat!"

I fell off the couch laughing!  It is so genius in so many levels... Jimmy D., a tip of the cap your way!  Absolute genius I tells ya!

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
Re: "The Kings of Squat!" - Jimmy D
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:24:20 pm »
I also enjoyed his other self-title after predicting the the Tiggers Jim Leyland might just win AL Coach of the year. Paraphrased, and mentioned in another TZ post earlier.

Brownie: "You're really going out on a limb there, JD."

JD "I am the Master of the Obvious."
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:03:57 pm »
Yup, that was great! Only way to top it would have been "Sultans of Squat"
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:20:50 pm »
JD and BB are the best in the business.  It really is a rude awakening to go from the TV crew to the radio guys.  Although Raymond's voice sounds sort of like JD's, he doesn't have his effortless wit.
Strikeout Machine

AllyDStros

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 04:21:30 pm »
I love listening to JD. It sucks when they go on the road and I have to listen to the idiots from other teams (I watch games on mlb.tv because of where I live, obviously)

Alright, some are okay. Others (yes, White Sox, I'm looking at you!) are downright abysmal.

ETA: Except for today! Sweet, a road game w/ Brownie and JD!

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:22:40 pm »
Quote:

I love listening to JD. It sucks when they go on the road and I have to listen to the idiots from other teams (I watch games on mlb.tv because of where I live, obviously)

Alright, some are okay. Others (yes, White Sox, I'm looking at you!) are downright abysmal.

The "Put 'em on the boaaaarddd....YES!" is the single worst home run call ever conceived by a human mind.
Strikeout Machine

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:26:53 pm »
Quote:

JD and BB are the best in the business.  It really is a rude awakening to go from the TV crew to the radio guys.  

Aint that the truth!  It is brutal going from watching TV, then going to run to the store and listening to the Radio.   It is like going from Caddyshack to Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 04:27:52 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The "Put 'em on the boaaaarddd....YES!" is the single worst home run call ever conceived by a human mind.

It's actually topped by The Hawk's strikeout call, a weird understated staccato "he gone" which sounds more like "hee-gaw." It kills me every time. The "you can put it on the board" amuses me, and is thankfully infrequent. The "he gone" is nails on a chalkboard.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 04:31:02 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's actually topped by The Hawk's strikeout call, a weird understated staccato "he gone" which sounds more like "hee-gaw." It kills me every time. The "you can put it on the board" amuses me, and is thankfully infrequent. The "he gone" is nails on a chalkboard.

I really do wish the ESPN Deportes guys had a chance to call more games in lieu of Joe Morgan and John Miller, et al.  They are top-tier.  "Profundo!  No-no-no-no!"
Strikeout Machine

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 04:54:02 pm »
Quote:

I really do wish the ESPN Deportes guys had a chance to call more games in lieu of Joe Morgan and John Miller, et al.  They are top-tier.  "Profundo!  No-no-no-no!"

I'd take silence with the occasional sound of a bullfrog croaking in lieu of Morgan and Miller.