Author Topic: Sobering thoughts  (Read 1441 times)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Sobering thoughts
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:04:31 am »
I was looking at Bedard's statistics after painfully watching him throw last night. Eight of the 17 hitters he faced last night got base hits. In fact, for his last three starts, the opposition is hitting .421 against Bedard. Therefore, his season BAA of .290, which itself isn't very good, belies the truth, and his 7.98 ERA is more accurate. Brought in to be a stabilizing force on the staff, Bedard's averaged less than three innings per appearance (four starts and the relief appearance on opening night). Tough on lefties (.200), righties are hitting .333 against him.

Having two poorly performing veterans in your rotation just adds pressure on your inexperienced and undermanned bully. Luhnow described the current situation involving the starters not going deeper into games as critical (or words to that effect-said he'd never seen it in all of his years in baseball), so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there wasn't some roster action soon if both Humber and Bedard continue what they've done so far.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: Sobering thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:56:33 am »
Granted, I didn't see any of the game last night, but I don't think Bedard's done. At the very least he could be a good lefty/long man out of the pen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him straighten out and turn in a decent season in the rotation.

Humber, however...
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Sobering thoughts
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:58 pm »
Good outing by Keuchel last night. Maybe he will take Humber's next start.

How about retirement for Pena and a promotion for Paredes to DH?
E come vivo? Vivo.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:30:15 pm »
Granted, I didn't see any of the game last night, but I don't think Bedard's done. At the very least he could be a good lefty/long man out of the pen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him straighten out and turn in a decent season in the rotation.

Humber, however...

I didn't say that he was done; I said that if Humber and Bedard continue the way that they are going right now, Luhnow may be forced to make a roster move with them. I do think that Humber is done though. I agree that Bedard has value to this staff, but there probably aren't too many pitching staffs in the big leagues that he could make today. However, given that he's a portsider, someone will take a chance on Bedard if the Astros cut him loose.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Sobering thoughts
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »
Valdez has had a nice April at OKC. The Astros ought to give him a look with the big club. He did well in the majors in limited time at the end of last year. He had a good spring too. I wonder what's holding him back.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:59:35 pm »
Valdez has had a nice April at OKC. The Astros ought to give him a look with the big club. He did well in the majors in limited time at the end of last year. He had a good spring too. I wonder what's holding him back.

His replacement is still in high school?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:59:02 pm »
crane is playing the if it makes sense dont do it game?
forever is composed entirely of nows