Author Topic: St. Louis Cardinals hospitality!  (Read 2473 times)

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
St. Louis Cardinals hospitality!
« on: July 27, 2019, 06:08:25 pm »
30 years ago, I was staying in a downtown St. Louis hotel that was within walking distance of the stadium.  The Cards were playing the Astros.  Since the game was not on local TV and I was too cheap to buy a ticket, I walked by the stadium during the game while listening to the game on the radio. 

Suddenly, the gates were opened and there were plenty of seats!!!  Turns out the gates were opened each night during the bottom of the 7th inning, apparently allowing walk-in traffic!  Returned the next night, enjoying the last 2.5 innings of two Astros wins!!!  It was great and the price was right!

Have you ever heard of another ball club that allows or did offer this freebie?  Surely, much depends on the neighborhood, but St. Louis was great!
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: St. Louis Cardinals hospitality!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 09:50:51 am »
My dad told me that when he was growing up in Brooklyn, the Dodgers would let the kids in for free after the 7th inning.

When I was growing up, the guards at the Summit would let us into the Rockets game for free in the 4th quarter.  But that was definitely not team policy. 
Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:02:22 am »
30 years ago, I was staying in a downtown St. Louis hotel that was within walking distance of the stadium.  The Cards were playing the Astros.  Since the game was not on local TV and I was too cheap to buy a ticket, I walked by the stadium during the game while listening to the game on the radio. 

Suddenly, the gates were opened and there were plenty of seats!!!  Turns out the gates were opened each night during the bottom of the 7th inning, apparently allowing walk-in traffic!  Returned the next night, enjoying the last 2.5 innings of two Astros wins!!!  It was great and the price was right!

Have you ever heard of another ball club that allows or did offer this freebie?  Surely, much depends on the neighborhood, but St. Louis was great!

I think that is a smart idea. Your future fanbase.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 06:51:37 am »
It is true at most minor league parks as well. 
Always ready to go to a game.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 07:53:50 am »

They used to do it at Minute Maid.  I did this a bunch in the mid 2000s.  Pound cheaper beers near the park then walk over if it was a good game and walk in for the last 2 innings.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.