Author Topic: Bagwell back  (Read 5384 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Bagwell back
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:41:06 pm »
Guest instructor this spring.

“And I’m pretty sure if I wanted to I could go work for the Tigers, but I bleed the Astros. It’s what I got to do. And I care about them, but I’m still not totally committed yet.”

From a separate article, Reid Ryan says he's also reached out to Pettitte, Berkman, Oswalt and Billy Wagner about re-joining the Astros in some capacity.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:49:11 pm by Nate Colbert »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Bagwell back
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:10 pm »
Good luck with Wagner.  He doesn't even acknowledge the Astros on his twitter bio (which is probably the lamest complaint I've made in a very long time).
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
good on bagwell, wonder if he will include stool sitting
forever is composed entirely of nows

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:08:45 pm »
Awesome news.  I hope it works out.

The offseason keeps getting better.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:20:40 pm »
Good luck with Wagner.  He doesn't even acknowledge the Astros on his twitter bio (which is probably the lamest complaint I've made in a very long time).

Well it was pointed out to me that he has since changed it.  He now includes Astros, in all caps too!

https://twitter.com/wagsk13wjs_e
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:24:17 pm »
Looks like he has figured out instagram too.

http://instagram.com/p/yUrn-gxRcg/?modal=true
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:57 pm »
Looks like he has figured out instagram too.

http://instagram.com/p/yUrn-gxRcg/?modal=true

May be the worst beard ever.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:41:09 pm »
May be the worst beard ever.

You've already forgotten Bagwell's spring training thing?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 08:38:04 pm »

It's a simple game, see the bat, miss the bat, sometimes it rains.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 07:43:10 am »
You've already forgotten Bagwell's spring training thing?

That was just ridiculous. Wagner's barely qualifies as a beard.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:53:37 am »
That was just ridiculous. Wagner's barely qualifies as a beard.

Bagwell was definitely ahead of his time.  The long beard is quite popular now.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:52 am »
Good luck with Wagner.  He doesn't even acknowledge the Astros on his twitter bio (which is probably the lamest complaint I've made in a very long time).

I am tracking Premier League transfers as the clock ticks down to the end of the transfer window.  One of the common themes is that rumours of transfers are not credible until they've been tweeted from an official source.  Kids, eh?

Meanwhile, Sky Sports (think ESPN but owned by Fox) this year has abandoned its customary practice of stationing a reporter and camera crew outside Premier League grounds.  This was never sanctioned by any of the clubs - who are trying to keep all their dealings secret until the aforementioned official tweet - so these crews are out on the streets outside the stadiums, peering into the cars going in and out trying to see who's inside.  This, of course, leaves them at the mercy of the general public, who have had some spectacular fun at their expense.  Shame on you, Sky Sports, for spoiling our fun!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:51:24 am by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:34 am »
It's a simple game, see the bat, miss the bat throw ball at the bat and trust your stuff, sometimes it rains.

FIFY
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:52:19 am »
Bagwell was definitely ahead of his time.  The long beard is quite popular now.

Dare you to call him a hipster.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:57:01 am »
FIFY

What was Das Gas Kann's best blown save meltdown ever?

I'm thinking the second game of the twinbill against Pittsburgh back in the early 2000s. The two things I remember about that game were Vinny "Cuz" Castillo hitting three bombs (and nearly a fourth), and Wags giving up a monster home run to Brian Giles, to throw away the game late.

Good times.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 12:03:40 pm »
Dare you to call him a hipster.

You first.  You've been a fan of that beard for quite a while now.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 12:04:16 pm »

I'm thinking the second game of the twinbill against Pittsburgh back in the early 2000s. The two things I remember about that game were Vinny "Cuz" Castillo hitting three bombs (and nearly a fourth), and Wags giving up a monster home run to Brian Giles, to throw away the game late.

Good times.

I'm sure Wags pitch was a perfect pitch though.

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 12:17:12 pm »

Good times.

Was that the one where they were up by 7 in the 9th?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 12:40:07 pm »
Was that the one where they were up by 7 in the 9th?

Up by 7 WITH TWO OUTS in the 9th.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:45 pm »

Good times.

It was a granny that was as devastating as it was predictable.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 01:34:27 pm »
Up by 7 WITH TWO OUTS in the 9th.

As I have mentioned before I was in attendance that day. I must be the anti-das.

The team blew another seven run lead in the ninth against Milwaukee back around that same time. I remember listening to that game from my desk over the intertubes. Real Audio FTW!
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 01:49:15 pm »

It was a granny that was as devastating as it was predictable.

I remember that game and being here when it happened.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 01:51:45 pm »
I remember that game and being here when it happened.

Presumably there's a GameZone thread that might be quite choice...

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:17 pm »
Actually that was the first game of the twin bill. They Astros came back angry and stomped 'em in the next one.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 03:46:06 pm »
Actually that was the first game of the twin bill. They Astros came back angry and stomped 'em in the next one.

Thanks. I figured I remembered that part wrong.

I was listening to the game on radio while doing some painting up at our farmhouse in Tyler County, and my vivid memory is of Giles' game-winning quadro-dong ... not just the horror of it, but the horror mixed with a faint sense of inevitability. A profound mixture of emotions.  Of course the diminutive left-handed hitting batter would clobber one off of arguably the hardest throwing left-handed closer in the NL at the time.  And, of course it would overshadow a nearly historic day at the plate for the Astros 3B. Of course!

Fucking Gas Can.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »
I remember that game well.  It was on my birthday. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 04:46:09 pm »
Fucking Gas Can.

First pitch, IIRC.  Not like Giles was sitting of a first pitch FB or anything.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 05:33:32 pm »
First pitch, IIRC.  Not like Giles was sitting of a first pitch FB or anything.

After he'd plunked the previous hitter (the tying run) to load the bases.  Wags only threw like four pitches.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:19 pm »
I'll always remember how Wagner gloated before the 2001 NLDS that they were going to go "stomp the shit out of the Braves." And if I'm not mistaken he gave up another devastating HR to Chipper to complete an Astros 'pen meltdown in a pivotal game in that series. Thanks, Billy.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 07:17:48 am »
I'll always remember how Wagner gloated before the 2001 NLDS that they were going to go "stomp the shit out of the Braves." And if I'm not mistaken he gave up another devastating HR to Chipper to complete an Astros 'pen meltdown in a pivotal game in that series. Thanks, Billy.

He finished what Mike Jackson started.  Which, of course, prompted the great Dierker response after the game, "If I had put Wagner in to close, people would be asking me right now why I didn't put Jackson in."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 09:08:18 am »
After he'd plunked the previous hitter (the tying run) to load the bases.  Wags only threw like four pitches.

Or, pedantically, one pitch - four times.

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »
He finished what Mike Jackson started.  Which, of course, prompted the great Dierker response after the game, "If I had put Wagner in to close, people would be asking me right now why I didn't put Jackson in."

What a painfully hilarious memory. This made me go to baseball-reference to look it up. I was surprised to see that Dotel hadn't already assumed that set up role more permanently. He had only held 12 of Wagner's 39 saves (and only 5 of his last 10) compared to 30 of 35 the following year.

I remember being upset he hadn't gone to Dotel, but also remember that as seeming automatic. Like that's what they had been doing down the stretch and going to Jackson was a diversion from that. I don't have a good memory it appears. But, he still should have put in Dotel.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 11:16:48 am »
As I have mentioned before I was in attendance that day. I must be the anti-das.

The team blew another seven run lead in the ninth against Milwaukee back around that same time. I remember listening to that game from my desk over the intertubes. Real Audio FTW!

I have in fact seen the Astros win a game live.  As confirmation, "Houston" was there to see it with me so the curse is no longer mine.

The new streak is up to 4 though but I blame that on McLane / Selig / Crane poking the eyes of the baseball gods with a stick by moving to the AL...
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.