Author Topic: 40-man roster this winter  (Read 6027 times)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
40-man roster this winter
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:00:08 pm »
According to the Chron, Koby Clemens will have to be put on the 40-man or they could lose him:
Astros assistant general manager Ricky Bennett acknowledged the team will have a tough decision to make by Nov. 20 on whether to put the younger Clemens on the 40-man major league roster to protect him from the winter meeting draft.
Link

Duman, Jacksonian, any opinions on what the Astros will do here? The obvious reasons to doubt Koby's long-term impact are the fact that he doesn't seem to have a defensive position, plus he was repeating High-A ball (albeit in a different league due to the affiliate switch). That said, he did have an absolutely incredible offensive season by any standards, so I'm very curious as to how they view him right now. Are there any other key guys on the bubble right now for the 40-man/exposure to the Rule V draft?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: 40-man roster this winter
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 04:18:55 pm »
This will take some research - farmstros may already have done this or OSF
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:46 pm »
The thing in the debate over whether to put him on the roster or not is, will he be taken?  The team taking him has to keep him on the 25-man.  I just don't see that happening.  I doubt they'll put him on the 40-man unless there's room AND there really isn't anyone else worth a damn to put on there.

As for the anyone else, I haven't looked into to that yet.
Goin' for a bus ride.

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:02:01 am »
As for Rule 5 eligible guys, the big two were Norris and Chris Johnson, who are already on the 40-man roster.  Otherwise, the biggest question to me would be Drew Locke.  He is still Rule 5 eligible.  After his season in CC, he may need protecting.  Otherwise, the only players of note who are first time eligible this December are Jimmy Van Ostrand and Sergio Perez from Corpus Christi. Neither of them is of concern to being picked.  When they picked him up, there was some talk about Nevarez being rule 5 eligible.  He was quite good at Lexington, but I can't imagine he is going to need protecting since he was at Low A.  I've got Nov. 20 marked on my calendar.   

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:20:41 am »
The thing in the debate over whether to put him on the roster or not is, will he be taken?  The team taking him has to keep him on the 25-man.  I just don't see that happening.  I doubt they'll put him on the 40-man unless there's room AND there really isn't anyone else worth a damn to put on there.

As for the anyone else, I haven't looked into to that yet.

He could be picked up in the AA or AAA portions which is more likely than the major league level. He could be claimed in the AA section for $4000 or the AAA section for 12,000.  The PR splash might be worth that much for the AA or AAA affiliate.  Even though Roger has stigma, he still creates buzz (as evidenced by Footer's lead on the Minor MVP appearance at MMP)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 11:29:53 am »
He could be picked up in the AA or AAA portions which is more likely than the major league level. He could be claimed in the AA section for $4000 or the AAA section for 12,000.  The PR splash might be worth that much for the AA or AAA affiliate.  Even though Roger has stigma, he still creates buzz (as evidenced by Footer's lead on the Minor MVP appearance at MMP)
Right, it would seem a pretty good bet someone would grab him not in the Major League phase but the Minor. I don't really understand how that works so wasn't sure if Koby (or Nevarez or any other low minors guys) was eligible for that draft as well.

Where do you guys think the Astros org is right now as far as Clemens' long-term position? Did he make any strides this year at catcher, or is he a future LF/DH at best?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:47:12 pm »
Right, it would seem a pretty good bet someone would grab him not in the Major League phase but the Minor. I don't really understand how that works so wasn't sure if Koby (or Nevarez or any other low minors guys) was eligible for that draft as well.

Where do you guys think the Astros org is right now as far as Clemens' long-term position? Did he make any strides this year at catcher, or is he a future LF/DH at best?

Made improvements but the fact that they were moving him to LF some tells me not fast enough.  They like his bat so they are trying to find a place for him. 

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:24 pm »
This will take some research - farmstros may already have done this or OSF

Farmstros has put together a list of Rule 5 eligible players and minor league free agents.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 02:43:52 pm »
Farmstros has put together a list of Rule 5 eligible players and minor league free agents.

A veritable who's who of won't get picked and replaceable players.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:12 pm »
I hope they don't let Navarez dangle out there. What about Henry Villar?

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 03:33:15 pm »
Per McTaggart on twitter:

Astros remove Chad Paronto, Billy Sadler and German Duran from the 40-man roster in general roster housekeeping.

ETA: " Paronto and Sadler become free agents, and Duran is re-assinged to Round rock." LINK
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:00:44 pm by OregonStrosFan »
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »
Baseball America has published its minor league free agent list: LINK

Among the Good Guys minor leaguers:

Houston Astros (20)
RHP: Kenny Baugh (AA), T.J. Burton (AA), Jose Capellan (AAA), Casey Daigle (AAA), Tip Fairchild (Hi A), Abraham Gonzalez (R), Ryan McKeller (AAA), Billy Sadler (AAA), Charlie Weatherby (AA)
LHP: Mark McLemore (AAA), Josh Muecke (AAA), Andy Van Hekken (AAA)
1B: John Gall (AAA), Mark Saccomanno (AAA)
2B: Drew Meyer (AA), Felix Molina (AA)
3B: Chad Spann (AA)
SS: Ronald Ramirez (Hi A)
OF: Reggie Abercrombie (AAA), Ray Sadler (AA)

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 03:00:35 pm »
McTaggart via Twitter:

Astros sign RHP Jose Valdez, a minor league free agent, and add RHPs Evan Englebrook, Matt Nevarez and Henry Villar to 40-man roster.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:26:21 pm »
McTaggart via Twitter:

Astros sign RHP Jose Valdez, a minor league free agent, and add RHPs Evan Englebrook, Matt Nevarez and Henry Villar to 40-man roster.

Alright. That answers my October 2nd wish from above regarding Nevarez and Villar.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 05:12:33 pm »
Good summaries of all four pitchers in The Westside Story (Cy-Fair / Katy community paper). LINK

Valdez, 26, spent last season in the New York Yankees organization, splitting time between Double A Trenton and Triple A Scranton. In 43 relief appearances combined between the two clubs, Valdez posted a 3-2 record with 10 saves and a 3.43 ERA (22ER/57.2IP). He is currently pitching for Licey in the Dominican Winter League and owns a 3-0 record and a 1.29 ERA (2ER/14IP) in 14 appearances. Valdez was originally signed by New York on October 5, 2000, as an undrafted free agent out of Santo Domingo, D.R

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 09:30:28 am »
Rule V question:  When a team selects a player in the draft, do they have to immediately place them on the 40-man?  Can a team that has it's roster already at 40 select a player with the stipulation that they have to be added to the 40-man and 25-man before OD?  If they have to be placed immediately on the 40-man, based on rosters today, we'll have the second pick in the Rule V draft. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091120&content_id=7695950&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 02:09:52 pm »
Per Footer tweet: "Astros outrighted RHP Brad James to Triple A. The 40-man roster stands at 36."

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 02:26:01 pm »
Per Footer tweet: "Astros outrighted RHP Brad James to Triple A. The 40-man roster stands at 36."

I was wondering when that was going to happen.  Brad may have reached his peak. 

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »
I was wondering when that was going to happen.  Brad may have reached his peak. 

That, and it's a safe move.  It's highly unlikely he'll get picked up in the major league portion of the draft, and right now he's easily replaced in the minor league system.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 07:53:23 pm »
Brad may have reached his peak. 

Nah...prolly still just a case of the yips
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 02:16:31 am »
Nah...prolly still just a case of the yips

The dreaded year long strand of the yips

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »
According to BA, Mr. Finch and Drew Meyer have been brought back.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7288