Author Topic: USMNT World Cup  (Read 3366 times)

Uncle Charlie

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
USMNT World Cup
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:27:36 am »
The WC is only three months away so I thought we'd start a thread (especially ahead of the final preparation match in the Ukraine). There have been some interesting developments, and I suspect there will continue to be such developments:

1. How does the movement of Bradley, Dempsey, Jones and EJ impact the WC preparation?
2. Dempsey was not at his best when joining Seattle and failed to really show any impact on loan at Fulham (much to my dismay) - is he just adjusting or has he lost a step?
3. Will Jozy's lack of goals at Sunderland impact his preparation?

Lastly, I've got to say that I like the new US shirt, but as somthing to wear on a Satruday afternoon, not on the pitch.  They got the centenial kit perfect and then deliver this...ugh.  http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2014/03/140303-new-kit.aspx
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: USMNT World Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:02:36 pm »
I've got to say that I like the new US shirt, but as somthing to wear on a Satruday afternoon, not on the pitch.  They got the centenial kit perfect and then deliver this...ugh. 

Not that they'll grace any major international tournament any time soon, but have you seen Scotland's new change kit?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:13 pm »
Didn't we just cancel the friendly with the Ukraine?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:26:26 pm »
Not that they'll grace any major international tournament any time soon, but have you seen Scotland's new change kit?

Ah, independence.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:06:40 pm »
Didn't we just cancel the friendly with the Ukraine?
No; it was moved to Cyprus
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:41:22 pm »
No; it was moved to Cyprus

Awesome, I guess Lebanon was booked.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 05:34:58 am »
I guess we can only take solace in knowing that only 3 of the outfield players who played are expected to be starters and most of the team in the Ukraine won't even make the final roster.  It was pitiful.  I hi nestle cannot think of one bright spot.

They'll announce the prep matches today for May and June I understand, all in the US.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:01 am »
I guess we can only take solace in knowing that only 3 of the outfield players who played are expected to be starters and most of the team in the Ukraine won't even make the final roster.  It was pitiful.  I hi nestle cannot think of one bright spot.

It was all part of the aid package to Ukraine.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:48:03 pm »
They're chicken to play in Kiev.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 08:56:34 am »
Jurgen the German has added his compatriot Berti Vogts to the management team.  Some in the British press are unimpressed...

Quote from: O FIVERÃO
Since taking Germany to the Euro 1996 title, Vogts hasn't exactly been a byword for international excellence – two wins in 11 matches with Kuwait, a fractious and unhappy 30 months with Scotland that ended with the Tartan Army in their lowest ever FIFA ranking position, an Africa Cup of Nations campaign with Nigeria that was the Super Eagles' worst in a generation (an expensive underachievement given his rumoured £33,500 a month contract), and a spell with Azerbaijan that began in 2008 with defeat against a Bosnia team so short of numbers that the youth-team coach had resorted to driving round Sarajevo, knocking on the doors of players to see if they were available.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:48:13 am »
The full squad:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

No Donovan,  though not entirely surprising, it seems a bit odd to not vale the experience he could have brought.  When you look at the roster, it is only Julian Green and maybe Brad Davis who could have been sacrificed.  He was a sub and not playing in a way to dictate a Starting XI role.

Honestly, the surprise for me was Brooks over Goodson.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:04:12 am »
Not taking Donovan strikes (get it?) me as a mistake.  He's still got what it takes; meanwhile Dempsey and Altidore looked decidedly poor in the Premiership this year.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:10:22 am »
Not taking Donovan strikes (get it?) me as a mistake.  He's still got what it takes; meanwhile Dempsey and Altidore looked decidedly poor in the Premiership this year.

I agree, they're over-thinking.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 09:18:46 am »
No Donovan,  though not entirely surprising, it seems a bit odd to not vale the experience he could have brought. 

I'm guessing Donovan toree it when he took the sabsatical in 2012.  Klinsman said he would hsve to earn his way on and I guess he didn't.  Still I agree regarding his experience.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 09:25:10 am »
I'm guessing Donovan toree it when he took the sabsatical in 2012.  Klinsman said he would hsve to earn his way on and I guess he didn't.  Still I agree regarding his experience.

It may also be that he has been saying publicly that he cannot train everyday.  The WC is a grueling tournament, particularly in the knockouts.  Coach has been focused on fitness in part due to the weather.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 12:53:14 pm »
Landon Donovan's experience and goals will be missed at the World Cup; so says The Guardian.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »
http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/1944?cc=5901

In football, there is the emotional and the rational. The U.S. team is headed to Brazil, aware they must face a grueling trifecta of challenges -- not only the opposition, but an unforgiving trek around the continent-sized nation and microwave-oven heat. Italian coach Cesare Prandelli learned at the end of the Confederations Cup last year that to win the World Cup he needed not just his nation's "23 best footballers, but the 23 best athletes." After watching Donovan struggle in the second half against Mexico in Phoenix, and train this week in the Californian heat, Klinsmann has determined that in his current shape, his star is not one of the United States' best athletes.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 01:41:56 pm »

That all being said, I can understand leaving LD out of the starting XI, but having him as an option off the bench late in a game seems like something you would like to have at your disposal.  Either as a forward or a wide midfielder.

Seems like the locks in the 11 are
Jozy up top, Dempsey underneath him and Zusi on right.
CDM will be Jones/Beckerman and Bradley.

I was a proponent of F Johnson playing left back, but honestly when the US was its best last year FJ was the LM.  He is still listed as a defensive player, but I think that will change. 

And if it isn't FJ, then who? Id guess Bedoya, or Mix? 19 year old J Green?  I wonder if the are thinking of playing Johannsson out wide?

Either way, when you look to the bench late, I'd want to have the option of bringing on LD over, Bedoya, Mix, Green or Wondo.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Noe

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 06:08:44 pm »
LD has experience, but still is not the world class player he could've been had he added muscle and physical play to his game. He's always been someone who could be knocked off the ball. With his lack of dedication to playing more and getting stronger, it made Klingsman's job tougher to justify an inclusion of a player like Donovan who got weaker, not stronger when it came to playing strong, physical futbol. In his match against Mexico, LD looked small and weak and was getting beat up quite easily. He would have to have mad skills (aka Messi) to get away from physical and beat the other side with skills only.

As is, Team USA is in for a lot physical play in the group they landed in and LD should have taken to heart the fact that this required his dedication to getting stronger... not to taking time away from training.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 08:10:05 pm »
Either way, when you look to the bench late, I'd want to have the option of bringing on LD over, Bedoya, Mix, Green or Wondo.

I'd disagree about Wondo.  Donavan's goal at the last WC is EXACTLY what Wondo is know for.  He finds space and is always around the goal.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 01:05:28 am »
I like this team. Athletes. Johansson has shown flashes of his talent. Mix and Zussi are solid. Really it's going to come down to how Jozy does. I think Jurgen is calling him out and saying it's time to shit or get off the pot. I don't know much about Green but he sounds like the type of player you want coming in fresh at the end of these grueling matches.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 01:51:04 pm »
Very interesting match last night between the US and the Azeris.  I liked that they went with a 4-4-2 Diamond...it suites this team well; they just need to get used to it.  I was impressed with Wondo - he's a clear replacement for Donovan in my opinion.  There were some good things about the match and bad.  Generally speaking though, playing a new system, the first time together in a long time, and against a defense who simply packed-in with the idea of a 0-0 draw...they did well.  They should look considerably sharper against Turkey on Sunday.

Positives: Wondo, Zusi, Cameron, Johnson, Johansson, Davis
Negatives: Bradley, Dempsey, Besler, Yedlin, Altidore

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 02:39:04 pm »
2 days to the first Match up the World Cup 6 days to the crucial USMNT vs Ghana match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyWVia7hzGs