Author Topic: Week 02/06 - 02/12: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Recieve vol. II  (Read 9895 times)

No? in Austin

Week 02/06 - 02/12: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Recieve vol. II
« on: February 07, 2005, 12:30:19 pm »
Post away any questions about minor leaguers you may have for this week.

Thanks,

The Minor League Reports Staff

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Rory Shortell
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 02:04:26 pm »
Healthy or injured?  Still possess in potential or have past injuries taken their toll?

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Jimmy Barrett
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 07:33:18 pm »
Still affiliated with the organization?

No? in Austin

Re: Jimmy Barrett
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 09:58:28 pm »
Quote:

Still affiliated with the organization?

No. He was released last season when he failed to make it back from a shoulder injury.  The chances that he will make it with another club are slim at this point.  He will probably not pitch in professional baseball again.

No? in Austin

Re: Rory Shortell
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 12:03:10 pm »
Quote:

Healthy or injured?  Still possess in potential or have past injuries taken their toll?

Shortell came back to pitch, much like Robert Steihl, in 2004 late in the season.  He had a short stint in Tri-Valley before being promoted up to Lexington.  He did well in Tri-Valley, not so well in Lexington.

He had TJS (tommy john surgery) to repair what was left over from previous surgery in college.  He's had to battle back to regain strength in the arm and it's been slow and go for him.  This year will probably tell a lot where he'll go in terms of being a legit prospect or one that dropped in potential because of a long rehab road ahead of him.  I expect him to be in Lexington this year all things considered.

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Rory Shortell
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 12:09:15 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Shortell came back to pitch, much like Robert Steihl, in 2004 late in the season.  He had a short stint in Tri-Valley before being promoted up to Lexington.  He did well in Tri-Valley, not so well in Lexington.

He had TJS (tommy john surgery) to repair what was left over from previous surgery in college.  He's had to battle back to regain strength in the arm and it's been slow and go for him.  This year will probably tell a lot where he'll go in terms of being a legit prospect or one that dropped in potential because of a long rehab road ahead of him.  I expect him to be in Lexington this year all things considered.

When you go back and look at what Shortell did last season a pattern emerges that IMO backs your view.  At Lexington he'd come out and pitch well one time then his next start would be a mess.  Then he'd come out and pitch well then blow up his next start.  His last appearance was August 9, a bad start.  After that, his spot in the rotation was taken by Stiehl.
Goin' for a bus ride.

John

• Clark
    • View Profile
Jason Hirsch
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 04:45:30 pm »
I could not get a read on how well he pitched last season.  He didn't seem to do to well and I don't see him mentioned  often in prospect reviews.  Has he fallen down a notch as a hot prospect or was he pushed going into the high-A league from the short season league?

No? in Austin

Re: Jason Hirsch
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 05:36:47 pm »
Quote:

I could not get a read on how well he pitched last season.  He didn't seem to do to well and I don't see him mentioned  often in prospect reviews.  Has he fallen down a notch as a hot prospect or was he pushed going into the high-A league from the short season league?

It's hard to say a 22 year old in his second year in professional baseball (actually 1.5 years so far) has fallen from being a prospect.  He first pitched in Tri-Valley in 2003 after being drafted out of college.  He did really well, great WHIP and ERA stats.  He was pushed up to High A-Ball in 2004 because of it and he had a less than stellar year, losing ground in what were the significant stats.  However, Jim Callis and folks in the business like Baseball American tend to emphasize statistical measures as proof to a prospects development.  It doesn't hold as much water in the lower ranks as it would in higher ranks as it were.  Jason's average year in Salem gave the team some indications of things they'd like to see him work on to go with his well above average talent.  That is why he was at IL this winter and also an invitee to Nolan Ryan's camp last week.

Keep an eye on this kid this year to see if regression continues to happen... or not.  Pitchers who need to work on mechanics and alike because the organization feels it would be best for future development and prowess will have bad days.  It happened to Brad Lidge, Chad Qualls and others.  I expect Hirsh to repeat a stint at Salem High A-Ball to anchor the staff.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 05:39:42 pm »
Quote:

There are published reports that Jason lost velocity on his fastball last season and that led to the diminshed stats.  However it should be noted that whatever problems Jason may have had, he led the team in wins, kept his ERA around 4, and gave up fewer hits than innings pitched.  I will try to check into this further.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 07:08:52 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

There are published reports that Jason lost velocity on his fastball last season and that led to the diminshed stats.  However it should be noted that whatever problems Jason may have had, he led the team in wins, kept his ERA around 4, and gave up fewer hits than innings pitched.  I will try to check into this further.

My sources tell me Jason was working on mechanics for part of the year and that led to the diminished stats.  However, his work at instructs and the Ryan camp was very encouraging, and he's expected to step up it up in 05.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 07:33:53 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My sources tell me Jason was working on mechanics for part of the year and that led to the diminished stats.  However, his work at instructs and the Ryan camp was very encouraging, and he's expected to step up it up in 05.

... and I would expect him to do so at Corpus Christie, not Salem.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 07:40:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

... and I would expect him to do so at Corpus Christie, not Salem.

My understanding is that the Astros will give him a fair shot at the CC rotation.  It seems to me that Jason's promotions will be in his own hands.  There doesn't seem to be any one player or group of players at levels above him that can keep him from being promoted because there isn't room.
Goin' for a bus ride.

John

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 10:33:42 am »
thanks very much.....you bring up the CC/Salem rotations.  what are your wildest guesses what they will be to start out the 2005 season.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 12:06:26 pm »
Quote:

thanks very much.....you bring up the CC/Salem rotations.  what are your wildest guesses what they will be to start out the 2005 season.

Actually the rotations from Corpus to Lex will be interesting to follow.  By my count there are more guys who want to start than there are rotation spots.  Here are my guesses at the moment:
Corpus - Jason Hirsh, Mark McLemore, Jamie Merchant, Fernando Nieve, and a free agent.
Salem - Matt Albers, Evan Englebrook, Derick Grigsby, Ronnie Martinez, Mitch Talbot
Lexington gets tricky.  Here's who is available with a good shot by my count - Andrew Alvarado, Jimmy Barthmeier, Chance Douglass, Juan Gutierrez, Ryan McKeller, Rory Shortell, Rob Stiehl.

These are not based on any source.  Right now the Astros don't know where many of these guys are going to be to start 05.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 01:01:42 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Actually the rotations from Corpus to Lex will be interesting to follow.  By my count there are more guys who want to start than there are rotation spots.  Here are my guesses at the moment:
Corpus - Jason Hirsh, Mark McLemore, Jamie Merchant, Fernando Nieve, and a free agent.
Salem - Matt Albers, Evan Englebrook, Derick Grigsby, Ronnie Martinez, Mitch Talbot
Lexington gets tricky.  Here's who is available with a good shot by my count - Andrew Alvarado, Jimmy Barthmeier, Chance Douglass, Juan Gutierrez, Ryan McKeller, Rory Shortell, Rob Stiehl.

These are not based on any source.  Right now the Astros don't know where many of these guys are going to be to start 05.

Baseball America minor league transactions published today lists three FA pitchers.  Two of them (Pedro Diaz & Fernando Rijo) sound like outside chances for your 5th rotation spot at CC.  Chris Fussell actuall has some major league experience (where he stunk, btw) and figures to compete for a bullpen slot at RR.

Anyone have any insight into these signings?  Or maybe the position players?  Carlos Rodriguez (OF at Erie last year), Clint McGill (???), Eric Riggs (SS/2B at Nashville) or Jack Santora (SS/2B independent leagues).  Any idea what level these guys might land at?
Up in the Air

John

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 01:27:35 pm »
great stab.....I agree with the exception of Evan Englebrook at Salem.....would think it would be Chance Douglass and he swapping teams.  Also, wouldn't be surprised to see Rob Stiehl in CC if he is healthy.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 01:34:29 pm »
Quote:

great stab.....I agree with the exception of Evan Englebrook at Salem.....would think it would be Chance Douglass and he swapping teams.  Also, wouldn't be surprised to see Rob Stiehl in CC if he is healthy.

Well, Englebrook is 2 years older than Douglass and Chance didn't exactly light up the Sally League.  He'll only be 21 for all of the 2005 season.  Evan will be 23.

Stiehl pitched in only a few games last season, and IIRC, he never went more than 3 innings.  If he makes a permanent move to the bullpen then maybe he moves up, but if he's going into the rotation I just can't see him making a jump, yet.  But then again I could be wrong, often am.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 01:50:13 pm »
Actually the rotations from Corpus to Lex will be interesting to follow. By my count there are more guys who want to start than there are rotation spots. Here are my guesses at the moment:
Lexington gets tricky. Here's who is available with a good shot by my count - Andrew Alvarado, Jimmy Barthmeier, Chance Douglass, Juan Gutierrez, Ryan McKeller, Rory Shortell, Rob Stiehl.

These are not based on any source. Right now the Astros don't know where many of these guys are going to be to start 05.

I was kind of thinking that there was an outside chance that Troy Patton might be bumped up to Lexington in his first full season...assuming he has a good spring.  Any thoughts?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 01:58:37 pm »
Quote:

Actually the rotations from Corpus to Lex will be interesting to follow. By my count there are more guys who want to start than there are rotation spots. Here are my guesses at the moment:
Lexington gets tricky. Here's who is available with a good shot by my count - Andrew Alvarado, Jimmy Barthmeier, Chance Douglass, Juan Gutierrez, Ryan McKeller, Rory Shortell, Rob Stiehl.

These are not based on any source. Right now the Astros don't know where many of these guys are going to be to start 05.

I was kind of thinking that there was an outside chance that Troy Patton might be bumped up to Lexington in his first full season...assuming he has a good spring.  Any thoughts?

IMO, Patton has an outside shot.  But, he's very young and has only about a 1/2 pro season under his belt.  He turns 20 in September.  My guess is that he'll start the season at Tri-City.  We'll see what the Astros think soon enough.
Goin' for a bus ride.

John

• Clark
    • View Profile
Cliff Davis
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 10:30:59 am »
any idea how he is coming along?  I have not read much about him at all after he was drafted and he was not invited to the Nolan Ryan pitching camp or Astro IL this past year.
Also, in the past you guys put out a brief description of the minor leaguers in the Astro organization.....any plans to do the same this year?

No? in Austin

Re: Cliff Davis
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 11:29:16 am »
Quote:

any idea how he is coming along?  I have not read much about him at all after he was drafted and he was not invited to the Nolan Ryan pitching camp or Astro IL this past year.
Also, in the past you guys put out a brief description of the minor leaguers in the Astro organization.....any plans to do the same this year?

Jacksonian is actually working on that recap now and expects to have a comprehensive list out by the end of February.

As for Davis, haven't read nor heard much yet on him but it will be something we can certainly ask about.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 11:35:16 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jacksonian is actually working on that recap now and expects to have a comprehensive list out by the end of February.

I am?  Oh yeah, I am.  1/2 way done.

Quote:

As for Davis, haven't read nor heard much yet on him but it will be something we can certainly ask about.

He last pitched on July 15, after only 5 starts.  His first 3 starts weren't great, but his last 2 were much improved.
Goin' for a bus ride.

John

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 11:43:46 am »
where do you guys get your information that you use for your minor league report?  Does the Astros minor league managment have any input?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 11:50:06 am »
Quote:

where do you guys get your information that you use for your minor league report?  Does the Astros minor league managment have any input?

It depends on which information you're talking about.  The "Did You Know" stuff can be found on the web.  The links provided should tell you that.  As for other information, as a rule, we do not and will not reveal sources, lest those sources dry up like a drop of water in the desert at noon in July.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BALUA

• Clark
    • View Profile
Royce Huffman
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 12:23:36 pm »
Huffman's stat in AAA looks not bad
will he have any chance to in the major??

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
First you make a roux
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 12:33:31 pm »
Huffman has hit well for most of his minor league career but without a lot of pop.  He really doesn't have a set position which harms him.  He plays corner positions which means among other things he has to hit for power to have a shot as an everyday player.  He has to be on the 40-man to have a shot at the big club.  Up to now he's never been there.  As of right now, he will not be in Houston.  Look for him at AAA Round Rock.
Goin' for a bus ride.