Author Topic: Giants @ Astros Series Preview Posted  (Read 1122 times)

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Giants @ Astros Series Preview Posted
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Giants @ Astros Series Preview Posted
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »
That was terrific.  

I'm pretty sure I learned about racism from Will Clark and my grandmother.  My dad and I always liked Jeffrey Leonard because his name combined both of our names.  When Leonard and Clark got into it, I remember my dad very patiently and comprehensively explaining what a racist asshole Will Clark is.  

My grandmother sounds a bit similar to your grandfather but as a product of Pontotoc, Mississippi she was an Ole Miss fan, didn't have emphysema and was much more devoted to scotch than prescription pills.  But the debts, racism and emotional abuse were all there.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:00:21 pm by Bench »
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »
Excellent work, GBB, but you forgot to mention Bobby Thigpen, who later set the saves record with the White Sox, off of that great Mississippi State team. They were unreal. And Will the Thrill is an asshole. Certified, card-carrying asshole. I still don't understand the virile racism that some people have. Even though I was brought up in the deep south, my parents, who are very conservative, never even uttered a racist word in front of us, even back in the 60's. We were taught that all people of all colors and walks of life were to be treated with dignity and respect. I'm so grateful for that.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:16:58 pm »
Excellent work, GBB, but you forgot to mention Bobby Thigpen, who later set the saves record with the White Sox, off of that great Mississippi State team. They were unreal. And Will the Thrill is an asshole. Certified, card-carrying asshole. I still don't understand the virile racism that some people have. Even though I was brought up in the deep south, my parents, who are very conservative, never even uttered a racist word in front of us, even back in the 60's. We were taught that all people of all colors and walks of life were to be treated with dignity and respect. I'm so grateful for that.

GAH!  I put Brantley where I meant Thigpen.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »
Nice work.  Had similar exeriences/upbringing.
Purity of Essence

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:23:08 pm »
GAH!  I put Brantley where I meant Thigpen.

But Brantley also was on that team, which was loaded. So you were correct but simply left out Thigpen.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius