Author Topic: Cosart up  (Read 5684 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Cosart up
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »
Per Chron's Brian Smith (via Twitter)

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronAstros 9s
Jarred Cosart will start Friday vs Rays
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: Cosart up
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »
Wow. I thought it'd be Peacock (then again he pitched tonight) or even Wojo. Is Cosart on the 40-man?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:58:15 pm »
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

johnstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »
Wonder if this is temporary?

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:05:43 pm »
Can he bring Springer with him?
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:37:30 pm »
Nice.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 07:55:32 am »
That's pretty cool.  Would love to be able to fucking watch it.

It's interesting in that it is not really needed, due to the days off and the presently fresh arms, but still welcome to see some new blood.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 09:03:50 am »
Looks like sports bar night.  The illegal stream is OK for the average Astros but this is worth watching on a big screen in HD....according to a friend.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:29 am »
That's pretty cool.  Would love to be able to fucking watch it.

It's interesting in that it is not really needed, due to the days off and the presently fresh arms, but still welcome to see some new blood.

He isn't, but it sounds like Porter wants to skip Norris on Sunday, so he could be available to pitch in the All-Star game, if he's selected as an alternate.  Doesn't mean that there weren't alternatives to Cosart, but there could be anticipation of another move involving the pitching staff (trade, DFA).

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38:26 am »
He isn't, but it sounds like Porter wants to skip Norris on Sunday, so he could be available to pitch in the All-Star game, if he's selected as an alternate.  Doesn't mean that there weren't alternatives to Cosart, but there could be anticipation of another move involving the pitching staff (trade, DFA).

Or simply Harrel taking up residence in the pen?

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 10:32:44 am »

Or simply Harrel taking up residence in the pen?

There is that, but there were choices other than Cosart to take the spot in the rotation, some in-house. 

On a side note, here is Luhnow on Cosart's season:

“He has a full half season in Triple-A and sometimes the results don’t match how we feel about his performance, because we ask him to work on certain things — asking him to work on his changeup, work on his offspeed pitches to complement what we know is a pretty electric fastball. And he’s been doing that and the way we track results is not necessarily hits or runs, it’s more about what the coaches are saying and how we’re evaluating his performance. And he’s done well and he’s done everything we asked him to do. So when this opportunity came up and we needed a starter before the All-Star break, he definitely was at the top of the list.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2013/07/11/jeff-luhnow-on-jarred-cosart-a-pretty-electric-fastball/

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 10:45:12 am »
Nice for him to emphasize that, as too many fans focus exclusively on stats.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 10:55:23 am »
Agreed. I was looking at Cosart's numbers, particularly his high walk totals over his last month or so, and wondering why Peacock or Wojo didn't get the call instead. I think it's good that they're "rewarding" Cosart somewhat for doing his homework and being a good student.

Also, it's possible that they wanted to create some positive buzz among the fanbase before trading Norris and Veras away, and Cosart is more "buzz-worthy" than Wojo or Peacock at this point.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:56 am »

I agree. Cosart was doing what they asked him to do, which is a good sign and a sign of maturity and selflessness.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 12:55:45 pm »
Very encouraging.  Didn't he mouth off about some demotions or something a couple of years ago?

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 01:13:46 pm »
yes, but hopefully that is in his past and he is now focused on what he can do to excel.

jester9450

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:05 pm »
Hope this the start of more to come.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 10:43:38 am »
For those without Comcast looking for a place to see the game in Houston.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=16a4a703524b4ebcbfbd5c9866855111

It is not 100% accurate, so if you find a place you might wanna call and double check.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:44:28 am »
For those without Comcast looking for a place to see the game in Houston.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=16a4a703524b4ebcbfbd5c9866855111

It is not 100% accurate, so if you find a place you might wanna call and double check.

Which one of those places is budgirl's house?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 10:55:50 am »
Which one of those places is budgirl's house?

Bench, do you and the family want to come over tonight?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:17 am »
I'd go to a bar to watch the game tonight.   Anyone?  Anyone?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:40 am »
Bench, do you and the family want to come over tonight?

I'll ask but I have sense that tonight will be spent packing the house and listening to Sparkie badger Robert Ford about TV trivia.

Thanks for the invite and I'll get back to you!

BatGirl

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »
yes, please!
..because chickens are decent people.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:09 pm »
yes, please!

And there you have it.  We'll bring the wine! 

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 06:10:50 pm »

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 07:10:35 pm »
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 11:34:01 pm »
I don't even know her.

Once upon a time after a night of complete pandemonium I fully earned the nickname Chuck Jager. For once I'll spare everyone the details except that the incident in question occurred in Charleston, West Virginia, whose local, commercial field is Chuck Yeager Airport. So things sort of fit.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 07:06:49 am »
Once upon a time after a night of complete pandemonium I fully earned the nickname Chuck Jager. For once I'll spare everyone the details except that the incident in question occurred in Charleston, West Virginia, whose local, commercial field is Chuck Yeager Airport. So things sort of fit.

That better be the subject of your next series preview. I had several brushes with that bitch back in the day. Once, I bought two bottles in a bar already shit-faced. You should have seen my signature on the credit card slip. And to think that I also drove that night. Truly fucking frightening.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

strosrays

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15:42 am »

Back in my early twenties, I used to run with a couple of fellows who liked to swill Jaeger in the duck blind. To stay warm, they said. They got me doing this on one particularly cold morning, and by shooting time I was hopelessly fucked up. At 6:30 in the morning, in a freezing cold duck blind out in the middle of fucking McFaddin Marsh. With a loaded shotgun and a vest full of shells, mind you.

By that point, though, I doubt I could have hit the broad side of a barn; much less a teal or a widgeon, on the wing. And I didn't fucking care, either.

Likely one of the most enjoyable duck hunts I ever went on.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 09:07:02 am »
Cosart optioned back down to OkC; Maxwell activated for today's game.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 09:46:43 am »
nice pay and appreciation for last nights game
i am thinking about moving back to houston to get the games
forever is composed entirely of nows

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 10:32:12 am »
Cosart optioned back down to OkC; Maxwell activated for today's game.
There's talk that he'll take a turn at OKC to avoid too long a layoff, maybe pitch in the AAA All-Star game, then rejoin the Astros and start on the 23rd (he'll have barely fulfilled the 10-day minimum for players sent down).

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 10:34:38 am »
I was watching ESPN at the bar last night when they showed the interview clip with Cosart and whatever the redheaded reporter's name is. It was hysterical...Cosart is looking all around, just knowing he's gonna get pied. Redhead finally distracts him enough to at least get the ice water bucket bath.

Nice night for the kid.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 11:34:20 am »
There's talk that he'll take a turn at OKC to avoid too long a layoff, maybe pitch in the AAA All-Star game, then rejoin the Astros and start on the 23rd (he'll have barely fulfilled the 10-day minimum for players sent down).

Smith had some quotes from Stearns before the game that the AAA All-Star game was part of the thought process. He didn't spell the rest out, but it was alluded to, as well.

ETA Smith apparently isn't common enough for auto-correct
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:30:15 pm by astrosfan76 »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 04:27:54 pm »
I was watching ESPN at the bar last night when they showed the interview clip with Cosart and whatever the redheaded reporter's name is. It was hysterical...Cosart is looking all around, just knowing he's gonna get pied. Redhead finally distracts him enough to at least get the ice water bucket bath.

Nice night for the kid.

She actually managed to keep it going long enough after the dousing for him to get the shaving cream pie to the face as well...