Author Topic: The Interview  (Read 2255 times)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
The Interview
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »
Admittedly, a dumb frat boy comedy about assassinating a nation's leader is in rather poor taste, but I can't believe Sony completely caved like this.  What the fuck?  A bunch of embarrassing emails from years ago is all it takes to flush millions of dollars away, embolden bullies and look like a giant fucking chicken shit? Pathetic. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: The Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:40:30 pm »
ahhh but how much more will they make by releasing it online or holding it back and building the hype
forever is composed entirely of nows

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:24 pm »
Admittedly, a dumb frat boy comedy about assassinating a nation's leader is in rather poor taste, but I can't believe Sony completely caved like this.  What the fuck?  A bunch of embarrassing emails from years ago is all it takes to flush millions of dollars away, embolden bullies and look like a giant fucking chicken shit? Pathetic. 

From the sounds of it, the emails are the least of it. Apparently all of their internal systems are in pretty bad shape, including their accounting. They may not know how much they owe to whom, or what their accounts receivable look like.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Andyzipp

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:26:09 pm »
Still a pretty chickenshit response to a "might-be" kinda threat.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:33:46 pm »
Still a pretty chickenshit response to a "might-be" kinda threat.

Oh, I think the theater threats are bullshit. But the theaters were probably shitting themselves about the liability aspect if something *did* happen. And as evidenced by the ridiculous panic about Ebola, Americans are pretty bad about assessing actual risk, so they wouldn't be showing up at the theater anyway.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually learn that Sony really is left without data that is critical to the ongoing operation of the business, and that they've been told they can have it back if they cooperate.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »
What if Holly Gennaro worked at Sony instead of Nakatomi?

Aussie Astro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »
What if Holly Gennaro worked at Sony instead of Nakatomi?

Then a few leaked emails would be the least of Sony's worries.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:35 am »
My understanding is that it was really the movie theaters refusing to show it that broke them.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:25:41 am »
Admittedly, a dumb frat boy comedy about assassinating a nation's leader is in rather poor taste, but I can't believe Sony completely caved like this.  What the fuck?  A bunch of embarrassing emails from years ago is all it takes to flush millions of dollars away, embolden bullies and look like a giant fucking chicken shit? Pathetic.  

True.  But after one yahoo was supposedly trying to mix and ignite explosives on a plane, now you can carry only elf-sized toiletries onto a plane.  And another yahoo tried to set his shoes on fire and now everyone has to put their shoes through the x-ray machine at the airport.  And another yahoo tried to set his grundies on fire (Darwinising himself in the process) and now we have to dance the "YMCA" naked in a carcinogenic photo booth.

Private theaters declining to show a movie that would cause the public not to pay to come and see it or any other movie at that theater is not really a big deal.  To me, anyway.

As an aside, you know what was also banned after those pathetic home-made bombing attempts on planes?  Matches and lighters.  So, instead of continuing the ban on matches and lighters, and allowing us to keep our shoes on, carry toothpaste and not have the TSA laugh at our giggly bits, they kept the regulations on shoes, toiletries and body scans, and allow us to take a pyromaniac's dream amount of fire starting equipment on board.  Because tobacco lobby freedom.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:28:13 am by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:32:43 am »
...and not have the TSA laugh at our giggly bits...

Speak for yourself.  TSA is often in awe when I walk through the scanner.  I feel like I'm doing them a favor in addition to keeping America safe. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:47:51 pm »
"Sir, you are not allowed to bring guns on the plane."

"Well, I'm bringing this one."
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 01:26:16 pm »
This is my rifle; this is my gun!
This is for fighting; this is for fun!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 01:41:43 pm »
And now Paramount has cancelled screenings of Team America: World Police that would have run instead of The Interview in various theaters.

This is beyond pathetic. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:30 pm »
And now Paramount has cancelled screenings of Team America: World Police that would have run instead of The Interview in various theaters.

This is beyond pathetic. 

OK, now I'm getting mad.  Next they'll ban re-runs of Thunderbirds.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:54 pm »

This is beyond pathetic. 

Someone should sue somebody.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »
Someone should sue somebody.

Well, of course.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 05:47:20 am »
Well, of course.

Absolutely.  It's tortious interference with my right to stupidity.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley