Author Topic: Minor League Salaries  (Read 8077 times)

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Minor League Salaries
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:49 am »
Good article about the low rate of pay in the minor leagues.  This is a real issue that needs to be addressed.

According the the MILB.com site here is what they say a player earns:

Q. What do Minor League players earn?

A. Minor League Baseball player contracts are handled by the Major League Baseball office. Here are the salary ranges:

First contract season: $1,100/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation.
Alien Salary Rates: Different for aliens on visas as mandated by INS (the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service).
Meal Money: $25 per day at all levels, while on the road.
Always ready to go to a game.

Uncle Charlie

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Minor League Salaries
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:09 am »
Another interesting reference: http://www.jeffblankbaseball.com/salary-information/minor-league-salary/

No wonder that there is so much incentive to use PEDs in the lower levels.  Just getting on the 40-man is a 5-10x change in salary, but more importantly it allows a player to live above the poverty line...potentially no second job required.  Imagine if you thought you could take a drug, which although risky, could help you to make 5x-10x what you are making today?  That doesn't even include the additional 5x-10x on top of that if you go to the majors.  Those are major inflection points which are incentivizing to a dangerous degree.  Think about I - a guy in AA who is not on the 40-man makes ~$100/game there.  If he gets his contract purchased and is promoted, his daily rate is now more like $3k/game.

I know some of these kids get signing bonuses, but there needs to be a bit more focus on paying a reasonable amount to these guys in the minors.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

TamHaHaoJai

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:09:58 am »
I'm very curious at the right time.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:11:33 am »
$25.00 a day meal money. That wont go too far and I bet that hasn't changed in 20 years.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:54:19 am »
$25.00 a day meal money. That wont go too far and I bet that hasn't changed in 20 years.

Actually, it increased to $25/day from $18/day just a few years ago. And don't forget that clubhouse dues are between $8 and $15 per day. That leaves as little as $10/day for actual food. Which is why it's tradition for a rehabbing big leaguer to spring for the post-game meal.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 06:31:50 pm »
Another article on the subject, a fairly extensive one from the Toronto Star newspaper.

I didn't realize that minor league hockey players have been represented by a union (the Professional Hockey Players' Association, which is separate and apart from the NHLPA) since the late 1960s. Consequently, American Hockey League players are paid rather well with an average salary north of 80K (the AHL is the AAA equivalent in hockey).

Here's the transcript of the lawsuit itself. Some things I found interesting reading through it (from a layman's perspective--definitely am interested in the opinions of the many lawyers on the board particularly those who practice in the area of labor law):

• The complaint says minor leaguers  are NOT paid while in pre-spring training minicamp, spring training, extended spring training or while in instructional league. Wow!
  • In order for the lawsuit to be as broad as possible, plaintiffs were former minor leaguers from all 30 teams--thus former Astros property Jon Gaston as one of the plaintiffs. The complaint mentions Gaston "believes he was paid less than $3,000 in salary his first season, and he believes he never earned more than $8,000 in salary during subsequent seasons." Not mentioned in the complaint is the $150,000 Gaston received as a signing bonus. Not sure why the lawyers driving the class action lawsuit wouldn't have picked a player more sympathetic to their cause (i.e., one of the many players who receive relatively little in signing bonuses).
  • The complaint states that the uniform player contract has a provision stating "Club may require Player to maintain Player’s playing condition and  weight during the off-season and to report for practice and condition at such times and places as Club may determine” and if there is a failure to meet such requirements the “Club may impose a reasonable fine upon Player….” MLB may try (actually, already has) to assert that they're exempt from fair pay laws due to the seasonal worker exception--this may be the plaintiffs counter-argument to that assertion (they can't be seasonal workers if you're requiring them to work out and be monitored by the team throughout the calendar year).
  • Complaint states that "teams also sign additional players from the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico who  were not drafted in the Rule 4 draft. MLB rules place limits on when such free agent acquisitions can occur. Since they were not selected in the draft, they are viewed as less skilled amateur players and, even as free agents, have no bargaining power." Horseshit. Ruben Alaniz certainly didn't lack "bargaining power" when he signed for $160K as an undrafted high-schooler.
  • If you're interested in what the Uniform Player Contract for minor leaguers looks like, it's attached to the complaint and starts on p. 285. On p. 289, the UPC specifically states "This Minor League Uniform Player Contract (UPC) obligates Player to perform  professional services on a calendar year basis". Again a non-lawyer here but it does make me laugh a bit to think MLB has already asserted the seasonal worker exception in its initial response to the lawsuit when the contract it drafted talks about services having to be provided on a "calendar year basis".

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:46 pm »
Big blow for the players as judge denies class action status.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:06:07 pm »
Big blow for the players as judge denies class action status.

And the same judge now allows the lawsuit to again go forward, though with a smaller group of plaintiffs.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:51:15 am »
After spending millions on lobbying efforts last year to avoid federal minimum wage requirements, MLB has now turned its sights on the state of Arizona's minimum wage law.

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:29:35 am »
One of my favorite Astros prospects, Cy Sneed, gets a mention in a Sporting News article about low minor league wages.

Sneed, who works as a substitute teacher in the Kenai, Alaska Peninsula school district and as a tutor at Alaska Christian College, is content during offseasons because of the location and flexibility of the jobs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/from-the-classroom-to-the-car-minor-leaguers-forced-to-make-due-during-offseason/g76mkr2i3erp1ligrrrln3m66

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 03:50:09 pm »
Toronto starts the (relatively minor but still a more than welcome step in the right direction) revolution.

https://theathletic.com/872732/2019/03/17/blue-jays-ready-to-embrace-change-finalizing-minor-league-pay-increase-of-more-than-50-percent/

https://theathletic.com/873079/2019/03/17/blue-jays-do-the-right-thing-on-minor-league-salaries-but-acknowledge-more-is-needed/

The pay raises will not catapult Toronto farmhands into fancy condos or upscale restaurants. And baseball has much left to do to improve the lives of minor-league players, many of whom will still work for wages that put them below the poverty line while living in cramped quarters and enduring long bus rides, acknowledged Mike Murov, the Jays’ director of baseball operations. “It’s not something we wanted to do overly publicly because we’re not solving all of the issues with minor-league baseball,” Murov said in an interview. “We’re not going to toot our own horn when there are significant challenges that remain. Until you get comprehensive reform regarding facilities, wellness, travel, all of those things, there are going to be significant challenges.”

But Murov stressed that the pay increases are a natural progression from the Jays’ investments in other resources for minor-league players  – high-performance medical and mental support; a greater emphasis on a healthy diet through staff nutritionists and better clubhouse food; and improved facilities (weight rooms, for example, and the major construction, now in its nascent stage, for new training quarters in Dunedin).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:45:08 pm by Nate Colbert »

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 09:34:09 am »
Toronto starts the (relatively minor but still a more than welcome step in the right direction) revolution.

https://theathletic.com/872732/2019/03/17/blue-jays-ready-to-embrace-change-finalizing-minor-league-pay-increase-of-more-than-50-percent/

https://theathletic.com/873079/2019/03/17/blue-jays-do-the-right-thing-on-minor-league-salaries-but-acknowledge-more-is-needed/

The pay raises will not catapult Toronto farmhands into fancy condos or upscale restaurants. And baseball has much left to do to improve the lives of minor-league players, many of whom will still work for wages that put them below the poverty line while living in cramped quarters and enduring long bus rides, acknowledged Mike Murov, the Jays’ director of baseball operations. “It’s not something we wanted to do overly publicly because we’re not solving all of the issues with minor-league baseball,” Murov said in an interview. “We’re not going to toot our own horn when there are significant challenges that remain. Until you get comprehensive reform regarding facilities, wellness, travel, all of those things, there are going to be significant challenges.”

But Murov stressed that the pay increases are a natural progression from the Jays’ investments in other resources for minor-league players  – high-performance medical and mental support; a greater emphasis on a healthy diet through staff nutritionists and better clubhouse food; and improved facilities (weight rooms, for example, and the major construction, now in its nascent stage, for new training quarters in Dunedin).

This is fantastic.  And I love that it's not one of the top-tier teams (I know Toronto's a big city, but it's hardly a baseball town) that's leading the way.  I think if the Dodgers or Yankees had done it first, it would've been easier to dismiss.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 09:58:42 pm »
This is bullshit.

MLB wants to bask in the glow of positive press for increasing minor league salaries and working conditions but at the same time appears to want to shift as much of those increased costs as possible on to the shoulders of the minor league owners.

Having said that, more of those minor league teams are owned today by their major league affiliates than in the past so perhaps the cost-shifting won't be too great. Even so, depending on how hard MLB wants to push in that direction a contraction in affiliated teams (as Passan notes) might be the result. That could in turn result in the rise of (1) more indy league teams as a player development source and (2) a further increase in the number of complex-based teams (i.e., AZL, GCL, DSL).