Author Topic: Not funny....  (Read 2220 times)

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
Not funny....
« on: July 04, 2019, 09:39:32 am »
MAD Magazine Fans Devastated By Cancellation

The 2017 reorganization and subsequent 2018 reboot both struggled with finding an identity for MAD in an increasingly satire-saturated world.

Reprints only, no more original content.
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Not funny....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:19:21 pm »
MAD Magazine Fans Devastated By Cancellation

Reprints only, no more original content.

I grew up loving the irreverent, but good, humor.  No topic, no one was exempt from becoming a MAD target - mostly self-important folks and unquestioned thots. 

While most of culture was vulnerable to being dissected by MAD Magazine, the Wittenbrug Door aimed at the religious.  Both were quite effective at helping more than a few take ourselves a little less seriously.

I thot, with so much OWA quick wit, that others may have at least smiled b/c of at least one of these publications....

Was I wrong?

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:16:51 am »
I loved MAD like everyone in my peer group did when I was 13, but since then there has been a huge amount of competition from the Simpsons, South Park, the Onion, Family Guy and whatever the Zoomers are watching, so I guess it had run its course.

I'm older and grumpier now and avoid any satire or political humor like the plague. I still love the art though.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 12:32:46 pm »
I loved MAD like everyone in my peer group did when I was 13, but since then there has been a huge amount of competition from the Simpsons, South Park, the Onion, Family Guy and whatever the Zoomers are watching, so I guess it had run its course.

I'm older and grumpier now and avoid any satire or political humor like the plague. I still love the art though.

TY for sharing about MAD, subnuclear - does your login hint at  your MOS?  This article agrees with you.

Laughter is a gift and can be redemptive - freeing us from being stuck on ourselves only when we are able to admit how crazy/dense we are at times.  I am limited if I can't laugh at myself - or see why others are laughing.  (Like everything else, it is a work in progress.)  Humor has been weaponized and "neutered" when we can only laugh at others. 

Not much is funny any more - except this.  (Added later: ck out the links in the article.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:06:44 pm by Snuffy »

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Payton helps us learn to laugh again....
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 08:57:27 am »
Ck out his videos in this article.