Author Topic: Cuba  (Read 1794 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Cuba
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:33:45 pm »
I returned yesterday from a cruise which stopped in Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago. This was a bucket list destination for me. Our bicycle taxi drivers in Cienfuegos took us to the ballpark, and we got a bonus experience of watching 3-4 innings of a game between 18-year olds from Cienfuegos and another town. One of our drivers was a baseball fanatic who told me 112 times Puig, Abreu, and Moncada all played for the Cienfuegos Los Elefantes. I told him the Astros are my team so he called me Gurriel the rest of the day. I bought a cap and two jerseys. Awesome day.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Cuba
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 01:04:26 pm »
I returned yesterday from a cruise which stopped in Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago. This was a bucket list destination for me. Our bicycle taxi drivers in Cienfuegos took us to the ballpark, and we got a bonus experience of watching 3-4 innings of a game between 18-year olds from Cienfuegos and another town. One of our drivers was a baseball fanatic who told me 112 times Puig, Abreu, and Moncada all played for the Cienfuegos Los Elefantes. I told him the Astros are my team so he called me Gurriel the rest of the day. I bought a cap and two jerseys. Awesome day.

I’ve been hoping you’d provide a lengthy review of the trip.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 02:04:15 pm »
So you weren't actually able to see a CNS game? Is that because being on a cruise time just didn't allow for attending one?

The reason why I ask is because my wife and I have talked about taking a cruise to Cuba but for me it was kinda a dealbreaker if I couldn't see a Serie Nacional game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 03:02:16 pm »
So you weren't actually able to see a CNS game? Is that because being on a cruise time just didn't allow for attending one?

The reason why I ask is because my wife and I have talked about taking a cruise to Cuba but for me it was kinda a dealbreaker if I couldn't see a Serie Nacional game.

As I said, they were at the end of their World Series, and we did not stop in either one the towns. Las Tunas was one, and I do not remember the other.

As much as I love baseball, I think that is a dumb dealbreaker if you have the opportunity to go to Cuba.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 03:05:17 pm »
As I said, they were at the end of their World Series, and we did not stop in either one the towns.

Actually you did NOT say that Jim.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 03:15:00 pm »
Actually you did NOT say that Jim.

Oh, shit. You are right, and my bad, Nate. I must have said that to a neighbor/friend/baseball fan in a text. I had two conversations going at once.

Mea culpa!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:09:23 pm by JimR »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 05:49:53 pm »
This is so fantastic!!!
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:23:02 am »
What a great trip. We need more details.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:04:49 pm »
Cuba has long been on my list of places to visit, for baseball and personal reasons.  Would love to hear more details.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.