Author Topic: The Roof  (Read 5701 times)

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
The Roof
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:05:59 am »
Has there been any definitive statement on whether the roof will be closed for Games 3, 4, and 5?
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: The Roof
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:06:45 am »
Based on the glorious fall weather we are having I assume it will be open.  This weather is why the roof is retractable in the first place. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:28:15 am »
Rain possible Friday, then winter (i.e. sunny and 65/45).
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:30:25 am »
Has there been any definitive statement on whether the roof will be closed for Games 3, 4, and 5?

Has the commish weighed in?

T. J.

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:30:35 am »
Based on the glorious fall weather we are having I assume it will be open.  This weather is why the roof is retractable in the first place.

Rain in the forecast for tomorrow.  I'm betting it's closed for all three, regardless of the weather.

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:38 am »
Keep the roof closed.  The crowd noise has been insane with the roof closed. 
Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 10:37:29 am »

Not the time to give up some home field advantage by having it open.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:38:40 am »

MLB controls this.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 10:42:44 am »
I would assume that barring inclement weather MLB will insist that it’s open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
Not the time to give up some home field advantage by having it open.

It would still be plenty loud and I don't think there is an extra home field advantage one way or another.

Just do the same thing they would do in a regular season game.  If the weather is nice, open it.  If not, close it.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 12:11:38 pm »
MLB controls this.

No doubt.  I'm hoping that Manfred will be a little more agreeable than Selig to the notion of the home team having some say in the decision.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 01:07:21 pm »
agreed     .
forever is composed entirely of nows

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 01:15:38 pm »
I just hope Manfred understands that in Houston when the temperature goes below 70 there's snow flurries and the constant danger of hypothermia. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 01:19:05 pm »
I just hope Manfred understands that in Houston when the temperature goes below 70 there's snow flurries and the constant danger of hypothermia. 

I have to wear a jacket!!!!  I said earlier today, I'll just have to be louder if it is open.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 01:19:24 pm »

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 01:21:56 pm »

"I'm telling you, Rob, that place is worse than Candlestick Park!"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 01:32:56 pm »
i know the fans and  Astros alike could take the cold but those boys from cal would have an instant meltdown at the cold
forever is composed entirely of nows

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 05:43:30 pm »
ROOF CLOSED!

Mark Berman‏ @MarkBermanFox26 47s48 seconds ago
Roof will be closed for game 3 of the World Series Friday night. Game 4 still to be determined. Roof closed for Dodgers workout tonight.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 09:32:50 pm »
ROOF CLOSED!

Mark Berman‏ @MarkBermanFox26 47s48 seconds ago
Roof will be closed for game 3 of the World Series Friday night. Game 4 still to be determined. Roof closed for Dodgers workout tonight.

Woo Hoo!!!!

News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 08:17:56 am »
MLB controls this.

Is this only for the postseason?  Because MLB's official rules regarding retractable roofs still says the decision "as to whether a game begins with the roof open or closed rests solely with the home club".

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 08:21:15 am »
Is this only for the postseason?  Because MLB's official rules regarding retractable roofs still says the decision "as to whether a game begins with the roof open or closed rests solely with the home club".

Yes.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 08:27:14 am »
Section 11.7 of the MLB postseason manual states the Commissioner or a designated representative shall determine whether a ballpark's retractable roof shall remain open or closed before and during any postseason game.

The Astros' policy is to close the roof if there's a threat of rain, a threat of excessive wind (above 30 mph), a heat index of about 88 degrees for a night game or if the temperature is below 65 degrees. It takes two to three hours to cool the ballpark once the roof is closed, which plays into the decision.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/258356874/minute-maid-park-roof-to-be-closed-in-g1-g2/
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 08:27:41 am »

MLB effectively takes over the ballpark and hoists the World Series there.  They forced the roof closed last time - ironically, given that Game #1 was played in a fucking blizzard - and did other things like banish the O's Bros from their perch by the RF foul pole.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 09:02:10 am »
Outdoor baseball >>>> Indoor baseball.  And I really don't think there's any "dome" advantage.  The stadium gets extremely loud regardless of the roof being opened or closed.  Every year on Opening Day the stadium is loud and buzzing, and most years the roof is open.  That goes for the Texans, too.  One of the loudest games I've seen at NRG was MNF against the Titans with the roof open.

Not to mention Minute Maid just feels like a much better stadium setting with the roof open.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 09:10:47 am »
Outdoor baseball >>>> Indoor baseball.  And I really don't think there's any "dome" advantage.  The stadium gets extremely loud regardless of the roof being opened or closed.  Every year on Opening Day the stadium is loud and buzzing, and most years the roof is open.  That goes for the Texans, too.  One of the loudest games I've seen at NRG was MNF against the Titans with the roof open.

Not to mention Minute Maid just feels like a much better stadium setting with the roof open.

Maybe so but all the Astros players want the roof closed, apparently they think it really helps the atmosphere. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 09:21:01 am »
Section 11.7 of the MLB postseason manual states the Commissioner or a designated representative shall determine whether a ballpark's retractable roof shall remain open or closed before and during any postseason game.
The Astros' policy is to close the roof if there's a threat of rain, a threat of excessive wind (above 30 mph), a heat index of about 88 degrees for a night game or if the temperature is below 65 degrees. It takes two to three hours to cool the ballpark once the roof is closed, which plays into the decision.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/258356874/minute-maid-park-roof-to-be-closed-in-g1-g2/

Well, if MLB follows Astros policy at all (to keep it closed if the temps are below 68°F), it should be closed all three nights although Sunday will be a little warmer.

Here's the temperature progression for the duration of the games (8pm --> 11pm)
Tonight:  56°F --> 51°F
Saturday:  56°F --> 50°F
Sunday:  60°F --> 56°F

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=29.7606&lon=-95.3697&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 09:31:40 am »
Well, if MLB follows Astros policy at all (to keep it closed if the temps are below 68°F), it should be closed all three nights although Sunday will be a little warmer.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=29.7606&lon=-95.3697&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

It was colder than that when Selig kept it open.  I distinctly remember the booing of him ramping up when he went back under the stands to get a coat.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:59 am »
It was colder than that when Selig kept it open.  I distinctly remember the booing of him ramping up when he went back under the stands to get a coat.

Low 50's is pretty chilly to be sitting sedentary for 3 hours.  If standing and yelling your head off, it could be quite cozy.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 09:51:37 am »
Low 50's is pretty chilly to be sitting sedentary for 3 hours.  If standing and yelling your head off, it could be quite cozy.

Like I give a fuck about Selig's personal comfort.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 10:06:26 am »

These temperatures wouldn't bother me, but I realize I'm in the minority on this argument.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:37 am »

I imagine sitting in a temp-controlled box is a little more comfort than the experience of the average fan anyway.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 10:28:32 am »
I imagine sitting in a temp-controlled box is a little more comfort than the experience of the average fan anyway.

I seem to remember him sitting in the front row of the Diamond Club, i.e. outside.

gleach

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • Allison's Page
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 10:29:35 am »
I seem to remember him sitting in the front row of the Diamond Club, i.e. outside.

Sitting to the right of the Diamond Club in the first row. That was before they extended the Diamond Club in that area.
I love Geoff Leach.  Every day. 

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 10:33:08 am »

Not saying you (or anyone) should care about him.  It's the other 34,999 people that I care about.  It will be awesome, October baseball.  If the roof is closed, it will be loud and comfortable.  If it is open, it will be slightly less loud and an awesome, classic October game condition. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:57 am »
Not saying you (or anyone) should care about him.  It's the other 34,999 people that I care about.  It will be awesome, October baseball.  If the roof is closed, it will be loud and comfortable.  If it is open, it will be slightly less loud and an awesome, classic October game condition.

Of course!

I was at Game #4 in 2005.  I took a jacket but, as you say, jumping around and cheering keeps you warm so I took it off and stashed it under the seat.  Where I left it.  So, on top of everything else, Selig owes me a jacket.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 07:58:36 am »

You don’t remember?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 12:23:17 pm »
You don’t remember?
I knew MLB called the shots for the 2005 WS, but I didn’t know if it was just for the postseason.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 12:37:42 pm »
This is selfish, I realize, but I have been ill for the last couple of days, and I do not want to sit for four hours in windy 50 degrees temp.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 12:57:44 pm »
This is selfish, I realize, but I have been ill for the last couple of days, and I do not want to sit for four hours in windy 50 degrees temp.

Much like nobody wants to do that when it's 95 degrees, that's why there's a roof.

But while there is an AC in MMPUS there's no heater so dress warmly.  I imagine the collection of masses will mitigate against the cold, but wear something warm enough.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2017, 01:07:04 pm »
I was there last night and was fine.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »
Mark Berman tweeted about 20 minutes ago that the roof is expected to be closed tonight.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2017, 04:25:09 pm »
Mark Berman tweeted about 20 minutes ago that the roof is expected to be closed tonight.

I'm under the impression it was decided it would be closed for all three games prior to the series start.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2017, 05:20:01 pm »
 I'm here.

It's closed.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2017, 05:21:54 pm »
Giles will not close tonight per Hinch.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2017, 06:29:25 pm »
I'm here.

It's closed.

Where you? Mark and I are in 424.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2017, 06:31:00 pm »

329 on the rail.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »

Looked for you guys in 118. I think the blonde in those seats thought I was stalking her.

"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2017, 06:32:46 pm »
Looked for you guys in 118. I think the blonde in those seats thought I was stalking her.

We were in 116 the first two series.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:49 pm »

What row?

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2017, 01:08:50 am »
Roof Status:
On fire.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2017, 07:30:54 am »
In '05, when Selig made the team open the roof for home games, there was a lot of argument about whether the crowd noise made a difference in games. Then I thought it did, that it was so loud that it couldn't help getting into player's heads.  I was at both those games, and I was at last night's game.  All I can say is that it sure is a different place with the roof closed, like adding one more dimension to the field of play. 

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 09:13:27 am »
In '05, when Selig made the team open the roof for home games, there was a lot of argument about whether the crowd noise made a difference in games. Then I thought it did, that it was so loud that it couldn't help getting into player's heads.  I was at both those games, and I was at last night's game.  All I can say is that it sure is a different place with the roof closed, like adding one more dimension to the field of play.

Instead of the "home crowd" being something that the players talk about but may not have any "real" effect, I like that the crowd noise actually tangibly contributed to last night's game via the Dodgers' miscommunication at third base.  Happens all the time in football (false starts) but I'm not sure I can remember that happening in a baseball game.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 09:28:28 am »
Instead of the "home crowd" being something that the players talk about but may not have any "real" effect, I like that the crowd noise actually tangibly contributed to last night's game via the Dodgers' miscommunication at third base.  Happens all the time in football (false starts) but I'm not sure I can remember that happening in a baseball game.

Interesting.  I didn't realize that was a fan noise issue and I'm glad you pointed that out.

According to the statcast breakdown of the play Taylor did the right thing by holding up.  He might have been safe only because the throw was up the third base line, but the probabilities mitigate against playing for one run in that situation. 

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2017, 09:59:55 am »
Interesting.  I didn't realize that was a fan noise issue and I'm glad you pointed that out.

I don't know that the Dodgers came out and said as much, but that was the theory on the live broadcast and MLB Network's postgame.  Said the ball was hit hard so the third base coach was too far away and didn't have time to get close to the runner, and him yelling "go" through the noise sounded like "no".

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2017, 10:10:13 am »
I don't know that the Dodgers came out and said as much, but that was the theory on the live broadcast and MLB Network's postgame.  Said the ball was hit hard so the third base coach was too far away and didn't have time to get close to the runner, and him yelling "go" through the noise sounded like "no".

In cricket, you never us "go" to call the other runner for exactly that reason (you always bat in pairs).  If you do, it gets misheard and typically ends up with two, embarrassed/angry players standing by one wicket while one of them is getting run out at the other.  "Come", "Yes", "Wait" and "Stay" are acceptable instructions.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2017, 10:16:19 am »
In cricket, you never us "go" to call the other runner for exactly that reason (you always bat in pairs).  If you do, it gets misheard and typically ends up with two, embarrassed/angry players standing by one wicket while one of them is getting run out at the other.  "Come", "Yes", "Wait" and "Stay" are acceptable instructions.

Good for dog training too. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2017, 10:18:22 am »
Good for dog training too.

And sex.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2017, 10:21:04 am »

They actually have video of the third base coach talking to Taylor after the play where they discuss the miscommunication.
Boom!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2017, 10:22:31 am »