Author Topic: My little town  (Read 7783 times)

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
My little town
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:41:25 am »
In 1973, I was a linebacker on my high school's freshman team. Dinky town, A ball, only a couple of years removed from glory years as a B power. Now, facing larger schools, our JV was playing some team that doubled our enrollment and we freshmen got to combine with the JV and travel for a game. I even got to play half of the contest, which was pretty cool.

On the bus back word spread that we were actually going to stop and eat somewhere. Paid for. This was unheard of. I'd moved to that town the year before and in eighth grade we used hand-me-down uniforms and equipment that was 10-15 years old. I had shoulder pads with leather underneath the outer pads. Everything was small and old and worn in this tiny school and the sports equipment was no exception. We practiced on a half-acre field behind the school that was next to the parking lot. There was only dirt, the grass had been destroyed long ago by cleats and wear. The dirt was sculpted into sharp ruts from drying after rains, so every practice you knew if you hit the ground you were going to get cut up. Survival was putting the other guy on the ground first.

The following year was a different story. Brand new high school, the bond secured by a philanthropic farmer. We had brand new uniforms, new pads, a practice field, a new football field with concrete stands built into berms. It was a new world of respectability for us and apparently, dinner was part of this as well. Cool.

We pulled into the parking lot of the only restaurant in town. The owner stayed open late just for us, and we all piled in to find that they'd set up tables in rows for us to sit. We had a choice of chicken-fried steak with gravy, or chicken-fried steak without gravy. I'd only had CFS at home, never in a restaurant and it was very different from my mom's.

I learned to love that little restaurant. It probably seats fifty if you count standing at the bar and wedging people in with a shoehorn. Other than the night my team was there, I never saw it full to capacity but it has stayed open for almost forty years.

They make the best chicken-fried steak I've ever had. It's different from others in that it's hand-breaded, light and crisp and not some frozen patty mired in a thick envelope of bread. The gravy is always perfect, creamy white and peppery but never mealy or runny or bland. Until just a couple of years ago most of the waitresses had been there since the 70s. Eating there was like dining with friends.

It's run now by two guys who were two years behind me in high school, one a son of the owner and the other the son of the original cook. They provide a continuity to my past and the past of this little town that is special. A continuity that is hard to come by as it disappears all over.

Over the last few years business has fallen off dramatically. A year ago they put the place up for sale but there have been no takers.

Last week I found out that they're closing at the end of the month. A victim of the sour economy just short of celebrating their 40th anniversary. As word spread, more customers are coming back to say goodbye and to have one last meal with friends at this local icon. I've been going back as often as I can.

Last night I stopped by for dinner and I've never seen it completely jammed full of people. Both dining areas were full, people were standing around waiting for tables to open up, more were outside waiting to get in to wait some more, and still they kept coming. Almost all of them were old-time customers who had been there many times before, all wishing the staff well and saying goodbye.

They were completely balls to the wall busy with no letup. Despite their nervous focus on the rush I was grinning ear to ear with the display of affection from their neighbors. I know they couldn't take time to reflect on this display, but I hope it registers on them how much they meant to so many people and how many lives they've touched just by making food for people in a small town.

I was parked by the register waiting for my food when one older man walked up and asked the owner, "Where were all these people before? If they'd come in twice a week you'd still be in business."

"Hell, if they'd come in once a week we'd still be in business."

I'm very sad that they're shutting down. I don't know what will open up in its place, maybe nothing at all. The void they'll leave will close with the passing of the regular customers and the memory will fade into the sameness of suburbia that my little town is dissolving into. Another piece of what makes small towns unique will be gone forever.

Buy local. Buy local every time you can. You just might be keeping memories alive for more people than you can imagine.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
Re: My little town
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:29 am »
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »
Great story, RB, with a great message.

ETA: Record Store Day on Black Friday
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:05:47 pm by Ebby Calvin »
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:27:01 pm »
the last local grocery  in sabine parish is being taken over by a chain.  there was always so much support for the local team charities and so much  more
sad no more big star
forever is composed entirely of nows

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:42:20 pm »
In 1973, I was a linebacker on my high school's freshman team.

You seem older than that.

Buy local. Buy local every time you can. You just might be keeping memories alive for more people than you can imagine.

Hear hear.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:31:45 pm »
You seem older than that.

My engine has run hot for many years. Not an especially good thing.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »
My old man owned a corner store for 30+ years.  Back in the day, the big grocery stores used to keep "banking hours", meaning that most people could only go at weekends or on Thursday evening which was the one night they stayed open later than 5:30 (they were closed all day Sundays).  My Dad's store was open until 7pm every day except Sundays when he closed at 1pm.  My Dad didn't carry groceries, but he did carry convenience items that would keep for a bit, like milk and butter (not bread - it went bad too quick).  He also sold cigarettes (du'uh), all of which were sold at the grocery stores and was priced higher than the they were.

After 5:30 each night, there'd be a parade of fuckwits who would bitch about the price of [whatever] and how it was cheaper at [insert big grocery store here].  My Dad would say "well buy it there then" and, without fail, the twat in question would say with a straight face "But they're closed".  My Dad would shrug.

People don't know what they want until it's gone.  I agree with Ron: support your local sheriffs businesses, because your shit-for-brains neighbours most surely are not.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »
Reminds me of the the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George go visit their old pizza joint before it shuts down (it's the "Frogger" episode.

It's a great message, and one that I try to take to hearty as often as I can.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 02:08:12 pm »
Thanks for sharing RB.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Guinness

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 03:02:28 pm »
Small Business Saturday

This is really a great idea.  We're hosting T'giving this year, so we're looking forward to a relaxed Friday of champagne for breakfast and movies the rest of the day, and a Saturday of going to local businesses, spending our money there.  I think the buy local campaign is the one thing everyone can get behind and can do the most good.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 03:13:34 pm »
As an aspiring small business owner, this was really encouraging.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 03:14:05 pm »
This is really a great idea.  We're hosting T'giving this year, so we're looking forward to a relaxed Friday of champagne for breakfast and movies the rest of the day, and a Saturday of going to local businesses, spending our money there.  I think the buy local campaign is the one thing everyone can get behind and can do the most good.

And it doesn't have to be a huge amount to make a difference. I needed to pick up dog food on my way home. I could go to Petco and get a slightly lower price, or I could go to a local merchant and pay slightly more, but my local also has a reward program where I get 10% off and that makes it a wash or slightly cheaper. I also needed gas but decided to wait and get it from a place by my house. Same price, just choosing to go somewhere else. Little things add up.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »

what kind of business?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 03:25:43 pm »
what kind of business?

Men's clothing store.  Want to do everything right that Harrold's in the Heights did wrong.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Andyzipp

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »
Men's clothing store.  Want to do everything right that Harrold's in the Heights did wrong.

Will you outfit guys who can't/won't wear skinny jeans and ironic eye glasses?

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 03:39:53 pm »
Will you outfit guys who can't/won't wear skinny jeans and ironic eye glasses?

Absolutely.  I might even sell regular ties, not just foppish little bow ties.
Drinking for two.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:32 pm »
Absolutely.  I might even sell regular ties, not just foppish little bow ties.

I was wondering where I could get thin black knit ties with square bottoms.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 04:21:27 pm »

My closet?

/80's
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 04:23:40 pm »

A ska concert?
Drinking for two.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 05:32:04 pm »
if you want female memories of maxis middis and minnis you have the right person. fingertip length takes on a whole new meaning when you are over 6 foot (not me sadly(

headhunter

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 01:53:19 pm »
I hope one of the things you think Harrold's did wrong was charge way too much money. I really don't want to give my money to george zimmmer but Harrold's, as an example, was always much more expensive than other places I'd shop. please announce your opening when you do it, maybe your suits would be out of range, but I can usually find a place in the closet for an unironic tie.
my probation officer is real proud of me
I drive an Olds 88 got the devil on a leash...
I'm going out West...

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »
Will you carry foppish little bow ties?  I can never find enough of those.

Harrolds always baffled me.  When I started working downtown, Norton Ditto was downtown and Brooks Bros was downtown, and that was pretty much where I shopped.  Now Norton Ditto is out west, and strange, and Brooks Bros is in the Galleria, and crappy.  Bob Rose is downtown, and has an excellent baseball memorabilia collection in the store, and good ties, so that's mostly where I buy suits.

But I never understood Harrolds when it was still a going concern.  I figured they were selling to country club republicans, and with the demise of moderate republicans, there went Harrolds.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 04:58:09 pm »
Will you carry foppish little bow ties?  I can never find enough of those.

Harrolds always baffled me.  When I started working downtown, Norton Ditto was downtown and Brooks Bros was downtown, and that was pretty much where I shopped.  Now Norton Ditto is out west, and strange, and Brooks Bros is in the Galleria, and crappy.  Bob Rose is downtown, and has an excellent baseball memorabilia collection in the store, and good ties, so that's mostly where I buy suits.

But I never understood Harrolds when it was still a going concern.  I figured they were selling to country club republicans, and with the demise of moderate republicans, there went Harrolds.

Norton ditto is at Kirby and w. Alabama, which I guess is west of downtown technically.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 05:58:45 pm »
The store would be more casual than Harrold's too.  Having a fully stocked suit shop is more of a stage 2, since most guys in Houston don't have to wear suits to the office every day.  So while there will be suits and ties and whatnot, the focus will be more on casual slacks and shirts, the sort of thing that the guy who makes $100k+ a year at a non-suit job would wear to work.

Aside from the prices, I felt like Harrold's was somewhat proudly an "old man" store.  As a guy in my early 30's, I felt conspicuously young every time I went there.  I don't want to alienate any customer by age or earning power.
Drinking for two.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 06:22:26 pm »
The store would be more casual than Harrold's too.  Having a fully stocked suit shop is more of a stage 2, since most guys in Houston don't have to wear suits to the office every day.  So while there will be suits and ties and whatnot, the focus will be more on casual slacks and shirts, the sort of thing that the guy who makes $100k+ a year at a non-suit job would wear to work.

Aside from the prices, I felt like Harrold's was somewhat proudly an "old man" store.  As a guy in my early 30's, I felt conspicuously young every time I went there.  I don't want to alienate any customer by age or earning power.

Where the hell is this place going to be?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 06:50:13 pm »
Where the hell is this place going to be?

Hopefully CityCentre.  The rent is too damn high (tm) there, but I think it'll be worth it.
Drinking for two.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 06:58:59 pm »
Hopefully CityCentre.  The rent is too damn high (tm) there, but I think it'll be worth it.

I guess that place is open now, huh? I should probably go over there and wander around some time.
Y todo lo que sube baja

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »
I guess that place is open now, huh? I should probably go over there and wander around some time.

It's nice.  Gets really packed on weekend nights.  Good restaurants, too: I've come to prefer Bistro Alex to Brennan's.  Plus all the residential space is fully rented/sold, there's no existing men's clothing-only store, and the A&M Executive MBA program is going in Fall 2012, so I would have a nice captive audience.
Drinking for two.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 07:13:02 pm »
... and the A&M Executive MBA program is going in Fall 2012, so I would have a nice captive audience.

THAT's where I've seen mention of the project recently. There's a billboard for the MBA program on I-10 east at Taylor or so.

I didn't know Diesel made overalls but hey, like you say, you have a captive audience.
Y todo lo que sube baja

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »
THAT's where I've seen mention of the project recently. There's a billboard for the MBA program on I-10 east at Taylor or so.

I didn't know Diesel made overalls but hey, like you say, you have a captive audience.

The overalls are part of the whole 90's revival thing.  The 1890's.
Drinking for two.

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
Same here. I wish Ron could get some time on National TV to preach this.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:59 am »
Same here. I wish Ron could get some time on National TV to preach this.

Amex ran some nice commercials last week for "Small Business Saturday" as a counterpoint to Black Friday.  Even though the irony is there (huge multi-national corporation promoting small businesses), it was a nice idea and apparently pretty successful.
Drinking for two.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 08:33:27 am »
Amex ran some nice commercials last week for "Small Business Saturday" as a counterpoint to Black Friday.  Even though the irony is there (huge multi-national corporation promoting small businesses), it was a nice idea and apparently pretty successful.

Another fleck of irony is that a lot of small merchants can't afford the higher charges that Amex makes you pay for their transactions. That used to be the case, anyway.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 08:36:24 am »
Doesn't Amex advertise that they like to help small businesses.  Maybe getting people to spend money in small/local businesses is good for their businesses if the small/local business owner uses Amex.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:22 am »
Doesn't Amex advertise that they like to help small businesses.  Maybe getting people to spend money in small/local businesses is good for their businesses if the small/local business owner uses Amex.

I think it definitely is good for both of them to stay in business and help each other out. From what I saw when I was a hack out pandering to small businesses for some co-op stuff in a previous life, they often bitched about Amex and their costs. I think Visa went strong in lower rates and free processing machines and stole a big one on Amex, who was still clinging to their 'exclusivity' or 'premier status' or whatever. I don't know that much about it and that was twelve years ago so things may be radically different now. I do know that the restaurant I wrote about in the original post has a sign next to the register that says 'We Do Not Take American Express.' I never asked them about it.

sporadic

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 09:03:31 am »
Maybe getting people to spend money in small/local businesses is good for their businesses if the small/local business owner uses Amex.

I thought it looked like a way to get more small businesses to use AMEX...which is a pretty good strategy by AMEX.  Can you imagine small business owners watching that..."wow, AMEX really does care about me, I am going to sign up now!".  On the flip side, what would you think if you were MEGA Corp, Inc, you paid AMEX a bazillion dollars a year in fees and they were advertising for your competition?  I found the whole thing odd.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 09:07:11 am »
The overalls are part of the whole 90's revival thing.  The 1890's.

I have one word for you:

Tooralooratooraloorayay!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:34 am »
Amex does have some pretty good small business tools available online. They've been working the small business angle at least since the late '90s in that they market to them and offer tools, but what I heard over and over and over was that they charged too much for their machines, you had to have their machine, and the cost per transaction was too high.

Visa/Mastercard was the credit card that everyone could get and for decades Amex was a card with some cachet of distinction, not necessarily available to everyone plus it was a charge card and not a credit card. That line of thinking probably enabled Visa to work from the bottom up to grab a large market share with lower costs to the merchant but higher volumes overall. I'm just guessing though.

ETA: Another thing that set Amex apart was their emphasis on customer service, especially the farther up the level you went with the type of account you had with them. I've had great dealings with them every time and they saved my ass once when I was stuck in an airport in New York due to weather. I have only had good experiences with Amex, but I'm not a merchant taking payments via their card.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:12:18 am by Ron Brand »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31:41 am »

Stock a gentleman's coat that does not look like it came off an extra from "Red October", and you'll have your first customer.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 11:28:25 am »

Stock a gentleman's coat that does not look like it came off an extra from "Red October", and you'll have your first customer.

Who are you buying that for?
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 12:10:09 pm »
You mean like a longer wool overcoat?  Because while I see the appeal, I also know that something like that would get worn about twice a year here.  I'm still trying to figure out what kind of coats I'd stock.
Drinking for two.

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 12:36:20 pm »
Amex does have some pretty good small business tools available online. They've been working the small business angle at least since the late '90s in that they market to them and offer tools, but what I heard over and over and over was that they charged too much for their machines, you had to have their machine, and the cost per transaction was too high.

Visa/Mastercard was the credit card that everyone could get and for decades Amex was a card with some cachet of distinction, not necessarily available to everyone plus it was a charge card and not a credit card. That line of thinking probably enabled Visa to work from the bottom up to grab a large market share with lower costs to the merchant but higher volumes overall. I'm just guessing though.

ETA: Another thing that set Amex apart was their emphasis on customer service, especially the farther up the level you went with the type of account you had with them. I've had great dealings with them every time and they saved my ass once when I was stuck in an airport in New York due to weather. I have only had good experiences with Amex, but I'm not a merchant taking payments via their card.
I don't take AMEX at my place either. I don't know about the machines but their fees are out of this world. A normal Visa and MC, and now Discover since they jumped on board, rate is somewhere between 1.7 to 1.9%. AMEX, last time I checked was gonna charge 3.25% on a normal card plus whatever percent they gave THEIR customers on rewards and gold cards. There is one card out there they give their elite that was gonna cost me 5.5% of the sale every time I took it. I told them no thanks.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 04:15:50 pm »
I don't take AMEX at my place either. I don't know about the machines but their fees are out of this world. A normal Visa and MC, and now Discover since they jumped on board, rate is somewhere between 1.7 to 1.9%. AMEX, last time I checked was gonna charge 3.25% on a normal card plus whatever percent they gave THEIR customers on rewards and gold cards. There is one card out there they give their elite that was gonna cost me 5.5% of the sale every time I took it. I told them no thanks.

I carry 2 AMEX's (1 personal, 1 professional) and 1 visa (personal).  It's a businessowner's choice if he or she wants to favor margin over revenue, but you should be aware that some people avoid places that don't take AMEX.  For example, a restaurant that doesn't take AMEX likely won't be considered for corporate account dinners.  It sounds silly perhaps, but I don't want to hassle with receipts and having them processed through work prior to reimbursement.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 04:24:59 pm »
You mean like a longer wool overcoat?  Because while I see the appeal, I also know that something like that would get worn about twice a year here.  I'm still trying to figure out what kind of coats I'd stock.

I was looking for something between a full length and a bomber jacket, but I found one.  Hard to find though - even in Limeyland (where I thought I would have a wider selection but couldn't find shit there either).  Most are like duffle coats adorned with epaulettes and a million button down pockets.  I wanted something more plain than that.  Bought this, with the intention that I can wear it for work or over jeans and a shirt/sweater.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »
I was looking for something between a full length and a bomber jacket, but I found one.  Hard to find though - even in Limeyland (where I thought I would have a wider selection but couldn't find shit there either).  Most are like duffle coats adorned with epaulettes and a million button down pockets.  I wanted something more plain than that.  Bought this, with the intention that I can wear it for work or over jeans and a shirt/sweater.

The Bond bad guy gun in the pocket coat?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 04:53:50 pm »
The Bond bad guy gun in the pocket coat?

That's the only way I made it through Sunday School as a kid. That pocket could hold my water gun or my Man From U.N.C.L.E. spy pistol and I'd have shootouts with the other kids.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31:48 pm »

Like that one.  Is it a nylon shell for water-resistance?  I think something like this would be the heaviest sort of coat I could imagine Houstonians needing.
Drinking for two.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
back to the small town thing , many,la. is having a Moonlight Madness thing on Friday and stores are staying open till 9 pm at night , can you imagine that

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 12:57:18 pm »
Like that one.  Is it a nylon shell for water-resistance?  I think something like this would be the heaviest sort of coat I could imagine Houstonians needing.

travel.  I bought my first overcoat when I had to go to New York in February.  I'll wear one 8 or 9 times a year here, but if you travel north you need the full anti-monte.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »
I had this other great idea: Houston Buffs hats by Ebbet Field Flannels.  I snooze, I lose.
Drinking for two.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »
SRO on the last night at the restaurant.  They have a giant cake with pieces for everyone.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 06:01:01 pm »
I had this other great idea: Houston Buffs hats by Ebbet Field Flannels.  I snooze, I lose.

Yeah, but you didn't start a clothing company with a quote from Anchorman monogrammed on the sleeve, so you at least have that going for you, which is nice.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »
It sounds silly perhaps, but I don't want to hassle with receipts and having them processed through work prior to reimbursement.

That's your company, not your card.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2011, 09:46:34 pm »
If you are looking for a slightly more casual coat - BaseballSavings.com has an Astros Majestic MLB Therma Base Triple Peak Premier Jacket for under $40 tonight till midnight. For those who haven't done their own Christmas shopping yet.
Always ready to go to a game.