Author Topic: May I congratulate Waldo and OWA Incorporated  (Read 5271 times)

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
May I congratulate Waldo and OWA Incorporated
« on: January 30, 2005, 01:06:52 am »
...upon their ascension to such a more hospitable discussion environment.

Well done.

No? in Austin

Re: May I congratulate Waldo and OWA Incorporated
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 01:41:27 am »
Quote:

Well done.

We have our own popes to pontificate upon us opinions of our ascensions.  You need to worry about getting out of being a roster filler before you can even begin to act like a pope around here mister.

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 10:08:05 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Well done.

We have our own popes to pontificate upon us opinions of our ascensions.  You need to worry about getting out of being a roster filler before you can even begin to act like a pope around here mister.

If you're bringing scripture into it...

"Those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

I humble myself before you, oh, Noe.

No? in Austin

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 11:06:09 am »
Quote:

If you're bringing scripture into it...

"Those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

I humble myself before you, oh, Noe.

"Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven..." - Luke 6:37

I thought you wanted to stay away from this hellacious place?  At least your fond farewell a month ago said you did?  Change of heart to go with the change of moniker?  Welcome back with all your pomposity and looking down your nose at TZers intact I see.

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 03:56:37 pm »
All I know is that humble little me started this thread offering some genuine, deserved praise...

As to the accusation of pomposity?... I actually have a high regard for your opinion and that of certain others... it may surprise you, but I really do.

But in the same breath I'll admit, it has occurred to me that as high a regard as I have given it, it often seems to pale in comparison to the regard some certain others hold for it themselves...

Hey, it's a new day, a new board... bygones be bygones and all that... I don't have to agree with everything someone writes to generally respect them and their insights. And know, too, that I've *never* been the one to throw the first shot.

Never.

I post on boards like I live my life -- I assume the best in people until proven otherwise.

No? in Austin

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 04:17:14 pm »
Quote:

All I know is that humble little me started this thread offering some genuine, deserved praise...

No, you made a judgement statement.

...upon their ascension to such a more hospitable discussion environment

Quote:

As to the accusation of pomposity?... I actually have a high regard for your opinion and that of certain others... it may surprise you, but I really do.

Thanks.

Quote:

But in the same breath I'll admit, it has occurred to me that as high a regard as I have given it, it often seems to pale in comparison to the regard some certain others hold for it themselves...

There is no more self-depreciating group of folks I know of in any fansite than the ones in here.  If you take anything seriously, it's on you.  All of us suck.

Quote:

Hey, it's a new day, a new board... bygones be bygones and all that... I don't have to agree with everything someone writes to generally respect them and their insights. And know, too, that I've *never* been the one to throw the first shot.

The record is broken today with this thread.

Quote:

Never.

Never say never.

Quote:

I post on boards like I live my life -- I assume the best in people until proven otherwise.

Therein may lie the problem.  This is not life, it's about having fun and taking all this seriously is a bit strange to me.  But then again, that's just me.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 04:25:05 pm »
Quote:

What is wrong with what he said?  I took it to mean that the forum itself is better, and I certainly agree with that.

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 04:38:38 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

What is wrong with what he said?  I took it to mean that the forum itself is better, and I certainly agree with that.

Thanks, Waldo... to be clear, it was my intention to praise the move to an infopop (is that what it's called?) environment. The old one was... well... old... and, plain... no bells or whistles to speak of. But this, otoh, is the kind of format one would expect of a top-tier fan site.

No? in Austin

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 05:12:51 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

He left the old forum in a huff over not being treated nicely.  Now read his comment again.

No? in Austin

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 05:14:41 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, Waldo... to be clear, it was my intention to praise the move to an infopop (is that what it's called?) environment. The old one was... well... old... and, plain... no bells or whistles to speak of. But this, otoh, is the kind of format one would expect of a top-tier fan site.

If this is what you meant sturt, then I understand now and offer an apology. But I'm not convinced entirely this was what you meant given how you left the old forum in a tizzy.

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 05:51:03 pm »
Quote:

If this is what you meant sturt, then I understand now and offer an apology.

Thanks... apology accepted.

Quote:

But I'm not convinced entirely this was what you meant given how you left the old forum in a tizzy.

One man's "tizzy" is another man's "expressed displeasure." Just as one man's "crazy idea" is another man's "intriguing possibility." And, just as one man's "justifiable editing" is another man's "disrespectful censorship." And what's more, just as one man's "assuming the best in people" is another man's "taking all this a bit seriously."

It's all a matter of the assumptions one uses when interpreting.

Give me the benefit of a doubt. I enjoy some sarcasm on occasion and when it seems appropriately funny, but I'm pretty transparent compared to most.

pravata

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 05:52:01 pm »
Given the ambiguity of the wording, in meaning and syntax, and not even considering context, the confusion is inevitable.  However, no matter how fancy or plain the environment, the "bells" and the "whistles", (with a significant nod to the construction of said knobs) that'd be us.

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 05:55:38 pm »
Quote:

Given the ambiguity of the wording, in meaning and syntax, and not even considering context, the confusion is inevitable.  However, no matter how fancy or plain the environment, the "bells" and the "whistles", (with a significant nod to the construction of said knobs) that'd be us.

Huh?

What'd I do wrong *now*?

Guilty of "ambiguous syntax???"

Sheesh.

I'm just a cauldron of controversy, I am. (*rolling eyes*)

I guess some people just feel compelled to approach others in a Joseph-McCarthy-kind-of-way. Some of my best friends are from Wisconsin, though, I swear. I thought most of you were, too, for that matter.

pravata

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 05:58:38 pm »
Poor sentence structure.  Typically that means either sloppy writing or an attempt to hide meaning.  And, whichever it is, you're still doing it.

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 06:03:10 pm »
Quote:

Poor sentence structure.

Ummm... there's a verb in there somewhere, I just know it.

pravata

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 06:12:27 pm »
Your initial post, especially the combination of words, "to such a more" indicates that you are either incapable of constructing a sentence that conveys your meaning or that your intention is to hide your meaning.  Also the use of the words "hospitable" and "environment" are ambiguous.  Now, flounce your crinolines, purse your lips and act coy about not understanding why this has turned into a grammar lesson.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 06:20:05 pm »
I still haven't figured out how to follow a thread in this caffiene induced hellhole, what does that make ME?

Roger Metzger

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 06:25:33 pm »
Quote:

Your initial post, especially the combination of words, "to such a more" indicates that you are either incapable of constructing a sentence that conveys your meaning or that your intention is to hide your meaning.  Also the use of the words "hospitable" and "environment" are ambiguous.  Now, flounce your crinolines, purse your lips and act coy about not understanding why this has turned into a grammar lesson.

Well, as long as Waldo understood it ( -- and he did -- ), I'm good with that.

But thanks for all your concern with my education... one who writes government grants for a living needs all the critics he can find.

No? in Austin

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 09:06:53 pm »
Quote:

Poor sentence structure.  Typically that means either sloppy writing or an attempt to hide meaning.  And, whichever it is, you're still doing it.

Thanks.

No? in Austin

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 12:00:19 am »
Quote:

I still haven't figured out how to follow a thread in this caffiene induced hellhole, what does that make ME?

Normal.  And still without a writing gig!

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 11:31:19 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I'm bored.

What was the discussion a year ago today....right about now....here at OWA?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

otterj

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 01:34:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm bored.

When debate heats over grammar, the Void has reared its ugly head and is in full effect.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:02 am »
I'm a function over form type and admittedly design impaired but I got a minor problem with the bells and whistles. Only 'cause I'm a buzzers and gongs type. I'd also like more bunting and banners but I'm sure someone would object to that, ostensibly being too tacky and all.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 08:45:23 am »
grammer..and i wasnt consulted. that is like having a tz tea and bitch fest without consulting miss manners..
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 11:30:32 am »
hospitable? fuck off.

welcome back, Alkie. we missed you.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

pravata

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 11:43:32 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm bored.

Thanks for the word to the wise.  Looks like we'll have to be less subtle (per usual) HINT HINT, check the friggin dates on those posts.  For the record, that wasnt me digging up old posts.

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 12:02:07 pm »
Quote:

Thanks for the word to the wise.  Looks like we'll have to be less subtle (per usual) HINT HINT, check the friggin dates on those posts.  For the record, that wasnt me digging up old posts.

I fell for this too.  

Then I thought it was just a case of writing the wrong date on those first few checks of the new year.

Then I just fell toopid.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 12:07:21 pm »
Quote:

Sorry, I've been travelling/busy.  I will get back to dragging this forum down into the shit as soon as I have the time.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 12:10:04 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I've been travelling/busy.  I will get back to dragging this forum down into the shit as soon as I have the time.

Get your damn priorities straight!!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 12:13:39 pm »
Quote:

Get your damn priorities straight!!

Normally when I travel I have plenty of down time.  This is often combined with a time zone advantage that allows me to deposit shit-bombs all over the place while you lot are still sleeping.  Not so these last couple of trips; which is a bad trend that I plan to reverse.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Señor Stan

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 09:56:52 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I fell for this too.  

Then I thought it was just a case of writing the wrong date on those first few checks of the new year.

Then I just fell toopid.

It's like deja vu all over again.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 08:48:49 am »
I was all a 'titter about an Alkie sighting.  Oh well, back into the Void.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 02:04:40 pm »
This thread is just bizare.
RO RASROS!