Author Topic: Things to Do in Denver When You're Tossed  (Read 1434 times)

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Things to Do in Denver When You're Tossed
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:46:46 am »
June 6, 2007
Astros 7, Rukkakes 8
W: Taylor Buccholz (3-3) | L: Woody Williams (2-8) | S: Brian Fuentes (17)
Interminable, Plodding Death March: 2,979 (1-5)
Steep in history with the GameZone thread
Discuss etiquette, manners in the Talk Zone

Other coverage:
AP recap
Astros.com recap (Tony DeMarco)

Sorry, I suck. Just too much going on this morning to put together a proper recap, so I suggest you stroll through the GZ thread to get much more cogent analysis than I could provide even if I had all day to type.

The particulars, in great brevity
The Rox got on the board first, when Holliday drove in Kaz Matsui on a double in the bottom of the 3rd. The Good Guys answered right back, putting up a 3-spot in the top of the 4th, on RBI singles from Fat Elvis, Cool Rockin' Puddy and the Field General.

The wheels damn near came off the Woody in the bottom half of the 4th, and the Rukkakes retook the lead with 3 runs of their own, all with two outs. Woodrow managed to finish the inning after about an hour or so, and kept himself in the game. Good thing, too, as he lead off the top of the 5th with a single, and later scored on a Thunder Pants base knock. Twinkie plated Pigpen from third with a GIDP, and the 'Stros re-retook the lead at 5-4.

Things calmed down for a while, until the bottom of the 7th came around and Woody was still hurling on his way towards the 120 pitch mark. Matsui - he of the slight frame and 0 homers this season - flat out crushed one to the upper tank in right to knot the game at 5. Perhaps sensing that his night was over anyway with the lefty Helton in the hole and the pitch count getting up there (or perhaps not at all intentionally? (perhaps)), Woody winged the next ball behind Holliday, and CB Bucknor took it from there. Woody got the instant heave-ho - which was bullshit but not strategically disastrous - and Holliday was awarded 1B. Bradley strongly disagreed (he caught the pitch and says he didn't hear anything), and got miles of leeway in arguing the call, so Bucknor probably had no fucking idea whether it hit Holliday's uni or not.

Good times. reverT didn't fair well in relief, getting a groundout before giving up a single and a 2-run triple (actually, a double that shitty relaying parlayed into a triple). Qualls came in and promptly gave up a run-scoring single, and Houston found itself in an 8-5 hole. Twinkie and MoBerg each smacked solo smokies, in the 8th and 9th respectively, but that's as close as it would get as the Astros fell 8-7. Roy O takes the hill this afternoon to try to nail down the first series win in a small eternity, so let's keep the good thoughts going, and make our contributions where we can.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter