Author Topic: Houston bar recommendations?  (Read 1650 times)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Houston bar recommendations?
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:03:20 pm »
A friend is going to the Houston area with his girlfriend for five or six days, spending the first few at ZaZa, and looking for things to do and eat. I've pointed him at a variety of eating places in the general area, but I'm way out of touch on the bar scene. He was hoping to find a stretch something like 6th street here in Austin where he could wander from place to place, maybe bump into some music, and just discover which places he likes. Anything like that? If not, anything particularly good that he should check out?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Houston bar recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »
Midtown = just out of college, young 20s, clubby
Downtown = late 20s, early 30s, mixology
Westheimer curve = hipster, mixology, dance, whatever you want.  La Grange is a the place to be these days.
Lizzards/Owl/Volcano/Kays = preppy, all ages

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:17:01 am »
The Mid-Main area has a variety of options.  Continental Club, Natachee's, Double Trouble, Alley Cat, Big Top, etc...
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:49:37 am »
There is no place like 6th street in Houston.  There are stretches where there are several bars together, but nothing like 6th.  It would be hard to hit many places without transportation.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 10:11:01 am »
White Oak and Studemont fits the bill.   
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 10:38:47 am »
They could also hit a few bars in the village area (Kay's, Volcano, Kelvin Arms, etc.) and then make their way over to the Big Easy for live music.

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 11:36:45 am »
The Market Square area of downtown isn't bad.  You have Warren's and La Carafe ON the square, but within walking distance you have O.K.R.A and Hearsay.  Walk down a block to Travis and Franklin and there is Houston Watch Company (my new fav small bar) and Public Services Wine & Whisky (in the Cotton Exchange Building).  Main St. between Preston and Congress is lined with bars.

While I've not been yet, I understand the show and dinner at Prohibition is well worth it. 

http://www.prohibitionhouston.com/

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:11:53 pm »
The Market Square area of downtown isn't bad.  You have Warren's and La Carafe ON the square, but within walking distance you have O.K.R.A and Hearsay.  Walk down a block to Travis and Franklin and there is Houston Watch Company (my new fav small bar) and Public Services Wine & Whisky (in the Cotton Exchange Building).  Main St. between Preston and Congress is lined with bars.

While I've not been yet, I understand the show and dinner at Prohibition is well worth it. 

http://www.prohibitionhouston.com/

Of course, if you make Warren's your first stop, you may not be able to make it anywhere else.  At least not in a straight line.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:33:22 am »
Riding the train up Main Street from ZaZa is an easy way to get around.  Lots of bars and restaurants along the way, and the Market Square area is as good a walking tour as you get in Houston.  The ZaZa's shuttle Suburbans will probably take them all the way there too.

Skip El Big Bad.

While at the ZaZa, have a bubble-berry.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.