Author Topic: Cardinals at Astros ? Where's Your Cat-Head Now?  (Read 1720 times)

Craig

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Cardinals at Astros ? Where's Your Cat-Head Now?
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:16:11 am »
Alas poor Cat-Head, I knew him, Astacio. He was a man of infinite piss.

The Link

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
Re: Cardinals at Astros ? Where's Your Cat-Head Now?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:03:43 am »
"By August the Reds will be just another cinnamony turd floating down the Ohio River" is not quite "Willie Mays' glove is where triples go to die," but for a Wednesday, it will do quite nicely.
Purity of Essence

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:09:25 am »

Quote:

I had to listen to Bob Eucker do the Tuesday game on XM, and he's almost as bad as Milo. He was caught in mid-story at the end of the game, and just blew off the final out and went on with his rambling. It was like, ?So Joe Niekro ... I think he was with the Astros then ... empties his pockets and out pops the emery board ... Gross flies out to Taveras to end the game ... and so Niekro was caught red-handed ... wasn't he with the Astros then? ... I can't remember ... anyway ...?

The Baseball This Morning guys on XM were replaying this while I was driving in. Rambling is an understatement.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Bill McLuggage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 12:55:36 pm »
So you'll be recording the between-inning JD show and transcribing for the benefit of others?
How can you ask me a question like that?  Do you ask The Beatles that??

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 01:30:48 pm »
Quote:

So you'll be recording the between-inning JD show and transcribing for the benefit of others?

At least the good parts. The other day he was bitching about Ortiz going around trying to get quotes from everyone, but I didn't hear the beginning so I wasn't sure what it was about. But JD says, "But then Ortiz starts writing it all down, and I said, 'Whoa! Don't quote me! Jeez! I was just telling you my opinion.'"

Sometimes it's kind of hard to keep track of it all, because it's usually just one side of a conversation. JD is just talking to the voices in his head, usually.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 02:29:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

At least the good parts. The other day he was bitching about Ortiz going around trying to get quotes from everyone, but I didn't hear the beginning so I wasn't sure what it was about. But JD says, "But then Ortiz starts writing it all down, and I said, 'Whoa! Don't quote me! Jeez! I was just telling you my opinion.'"

Sometimes it's kind of hard to keep track of it all, because it's usually just one side of a conversation. JD is just talking to the voices in his head, usually.

MLB.tv left the mics open on Monday night. I am suprised JD and Brownie don't talk more during the breaks.

JD is a nut for the most part, singing and making jokes. I think that is a big part of his appeal over all, he doesn't take himself very seriously.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Bill McLuggage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 03:37:51 pm »
Quote:

On the subject of Ortiz, I'm reading his book after finding it on the cheap at Half Price Books.  One of the most disjointed pieces of literature I've ever read.  And almost no new information.  Basically it's Footer's "Inside the Magical Seasons" writen in sloppy prose.
How can you ask me a question like that?  Do you ask The Beatles that??

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 03:58:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

On the subject of Ortiz, I'm reading his book after finding it on the cheap at Half Price Books.  One of the most disjointed pieces of literature I've ever read.  And almost no new information.  Basically it's Footer's "Inside the Magical Seasons" writen in sloppy prose.

The writing is simply abysmal. It's like a high school english report.

I keep reading it because it brings back all the good memories, but generally I'm snorting in derision at Ortiz's "style."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Andyzipp

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »
I don't have a problem with the writing, but it's mostly because of lowered expectations, based on the author and publisher.

I have a problem with the idea that he was holding on to what was basically a lot of inside information/quotes and anecdotes for two seasons for a book, rather than actually make his newspaper column anything worth two shits.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 05:57:14 pm »
Quote:

I don't have a problem with the writing, but it's mostly because of lowered expectations, based on the author and publisher.

I have a problem with the idea that he was holding on to what was basically a lot of inside information/quotes and anecdotes for two seasons for a book, rather than actually make his newspaper column anything worth two shits.

See Woodward, Bob.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.