Author Topic: Braves/Astros--4 game series  (Read 1060 times)

Foghorn

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Braves/Astros--4 game series
« on: May 05, 2005, 05:46:38 pm »
Atlanta Braves Series Preview

The Basics

What:        Astros/Braves 4-Game series

When:      Thursday, May 5th at 6:35, FSSW
                  Friday, May 6th at 6:35, FSSW
      Saturday, May 7th at 6:05, FSSW
      Sunday, May 8th at 12:05, FSSW

Where:      Turner Field.  Ahh, Turner Field.  Playoff games at 65% capacity, annoying foam hatchets, bullpen phones that don?t work, and Larry Wayne?s Hooters girls.  Though if Hanoi Jane?s book is to believed, Larry Wayne can?t hold a candle to Ted?s bounty of booty.  Billionaire Ted like pushin? the cushin? in his private jet.

The Pitching Matchups

Game 1   Brandon Backe versus John Thomson
Game 2   Roy Oswalt versus John Smoltz
Game 3   Andy Pettitte versus  Horacio Ramirez
Game 4    Zeke Astacio versus Mike Hampton

Braves Update (key players and starting pitchers)

The Braves are 16-11, and once again proving that word of their demise has been greatly exaggerated.  These fuckers are going to keep making the playoffs for the next 50 years.  Still will have just the one title (in a strike shortened year!!!).

John Thomson?looks like John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles if he had a stomach staple.  A fine ERA (2.81) with a pedestrian WHIP (1.34), and a strong K/BB ratio (24/8).  The Astros managed to get 4 runs off him in Houston (off just 7 hits and a walk) on 4/19.  

John Smoltz?since getting pounded on Opening Day, Smoltz has been lights out?an ERA around 1.80 in 35 or so innings.  Not the innings horse he used to be (has topped out at 7.1 so far this year), so lets see if they try to work the count to wear him out quicker.  Berkman has the best success versus Smoltz, though only 4 career ABs.  

Horacio Ramirez?4.84 ERA and a 1.61 WHIP.  The Mets pounded his ass last time out.  Biggio has 2 career HRs off him in 5 ABs, and as a team the Astros have a 1.125 OPS against him.  Interestingly enough it the lefties that are doing the most damage to Ramirez.  Still, look for the all righty lineup in this one.

Gay Curious George?Excellent ERA (2.47) and an excellent WHIP (1.15).  Still walking too many hitters given his strikeout rates but will get those 6-4-3 double plays.  6 for 16 with the bat this year.

?DWI? Furcal?a terror behind the wheel and just terrible so far this year.  239/287/354.  Does have 8 SBs so look for him to run if/when he gets on.  Betcha Pettitte picks him off.

Chipper?was hurt for a while (bruise on his foot or something) but has been pounding the ball this year.  357/494/686.  Guess he likes it back at 3B.  Look for Willy and/or Everett to lay one down to see if he can field any better than he did 2 years ago (when he sucked).

Andruw Jones?remember all the talk about how Willie Mays made a suggestion to Andruw in the Spring and he responded by hitting 10 bombs?  Well, the suggestion hasn?t translated to the regular season?247/324/433.  

The Braves are basically the Astros.  They have scored and allowed a similar number of runs.  Lets see if we can stop beating ourselves and start beating teams that look like us.

Astros Update

Losing 2 of 3 to the fucking Pirates is frustrating.  Dammit, this is not a bad team.  Time to start winning some games.

The big news for the Astros is the pending return of Lance Berkman.  We shouldn?t put too much hope on his return, thinking he?ll be the magical elixir for what ails ya.  At the same time, he?ll give some punch to the middle of the lineup, which isn?t producing the way it should.

Biggio is hitting wonderfully, but has really dropped a notch or two (or four) with the glove.  With all the talk of Clemens being traded to the Yankees, I?m a bit surprised Craig?s name doesn?t surface as a potential Yankee.  He?s from New York state, and I think he still has a home there (could be wrong about that).  And the Yanks could use a 2B who doesn?t suck (Jeter-Biggio-Arod-Sheffield-Matsui-Posada-DH-1B-CF).

Lidge is human.  Fuck!

Oswalt is battling a sprained foot, but is scheduled to start on Friday.  Keep your fingers and toes crossed.

See ya Eric Bruntlett?my prediction for who gets sent down when Lance is activiated.  Don?t feel too bad for Eric, he got 5 weeks worth of a killer salary.

What?s on Foggy?s mind?

Got stuck watching American Idol last night with the wife.  I accidently stabbed myself 35 times in each ear with a #2 pencil listening to them butcher ?Bridge Over Troubled Water?.  It wasn?t so much the singers as it was the arrangement the band was playing.  I will now light myself on fire?

Been listening to a lot of Springsteen lately.  Older stuff?The River and Nebraska.  I?ve decided it would be cool to be able to play ?Atlantic City? with one of those guitar/harmonica thingies.  I?d be set if I could sing, play guitar and the harmonica.  Also, why wasn?t Ties That Bind a bigger hit?  

Is Bonds subject to the random drug testing while he?s on the DL?  And, since steroids help one recover from injury, couldn?t Bonds be appropriately pounding the Clear into his body like I do with Chicken Wings on $0.35 wing day at BW3?  

My 3 year old is becoming a huge baseball fan.  I took her to the game on Sunday and then again on Tuesday night.  She asks about 100 questions a minute, and is more concerned with what color jersey the Astros are wearing than anything else.  But that?s OK.  Daddy and daughter have a great time, watching baseball and acting goofy together.  

Kudos to the Astros for their $2 Tuesday campaign (2 OF Deck seats for $2 if you bring a PowerAde label to the MMPUS box office).  The parking meters on Preston are free after 6:00 so I got in and out for $2.  Well, add about $15 for a hot dog, soda and ice cream cone.

5 Fun Facts about Foggy (the ?I Never Woulda Guessed It? edition)

1)   Some of my favorite songs over the past 2 or 3 years have been Christian Rock songs.  Example:  Who Am I by Casting Crowns, Sea of Faces by Kutless and Caroline by Seventh Day Slumber.

2)   I was a high jumper in high school.  Of course, in high school I was 6-4, 150 pounds.

3)   Am eligible for protection under the Americans with Disability Act two different ways.  First, since breaking my wrist 2 years ago I?ve lost most of the ability to bend my right wrist back (can bend it may 35 or 40 degrees if fully loose and warm).  Second, I have a mild case of stuttering.  No, my missing left nut is not covered.

4)   Was a Mets fan in the early 1980?s, before the 1986 NLCS.

5)   Can?t stand Elvis Presley.  Movies, songs, any of it.

1 Topic for TZ Discussion

Let?s shift away from music and into the always interesting book versus movie discussion.  I will say that 95% of the time, the book is better.  Ocassionally, there is the movie that exceeds the book.  Here are ones that come to mind:

(1)   The Godfather (I and II)
(2)   Apocalypse Now (better than Heart of Darkness)
(3)   The Shawshank Redemption
(4)   The Jungle Book (I don?t remember The Bare Neccessities in Kipling?s novel)
(5)   Silence of the Lambs

Post your thoughts, comments, complaints in the TZ.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?