Author Topic: Bagwell and Sadaharu Oh  (Read 1171 times)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Bagwell and Sadaharu Oh
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:37 am »
An interesting article drawing parallels between Bagwell and Oh's early careers and philosophical quandaries.

“Right now, it’s a mental thing more than anything,” Jeff Bagwell said of his troubling sophomore slump. “It’s getting to the point where I think about it so much that I just can’t see any hits when I get to the plate, and that’s crazy.” In his vernacular, Bagwell at his best could actually see the hits that he was about to produce. Now that is clarity. A slump, though, moved in like a fog, dulling his ability to see the future, and to visualize success. His brain churned out a new product: doubt. He questioned his own sense of himself. He wondered, like a young Sadaharu Oh, how to reconcile his body with his mind, struggling, as many young people do, to put to language his toil.

One or eight; all or nothing, When faced with failure, Sadaharu Oh chose the batting stance that embraced nothing. Bagwell’s stance incorporated all, every muscle fiber, every available point of tension.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Bagwell and Sadaharu Oh
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »
Thanks for the link!!!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »
When the article talks about the "guy-wire tension" of Bagwell's stance; I hope I'm reading that right.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 03:15:36 pm »
Very nice. Thanks for the link.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:17:23 pm »
When the article talks about the "guy-wire tension" of Bagwell's stance; I hope I'm reading that right.
Why? Is your guy-wire tense?
He breezed him, one more time!

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:36 pm »
Great read.  And I enjoyed the video link as well.

And all that happened nearly 20 years ago.  Good grief I'm getting old.