Author Topic: Stanton  (Read 3342 times)

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Stanton
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:25:59 pm »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/marlins-will-listen-on-giancarlo-stanton.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I know they don't need the production this year, but you'd have this guy locked up till 2016.  2 years into the Astros supposed competitive years.  It's going to start to get hard to avoid losing talent to the rule 5 draft.  Would packaging up some of the top prospects be worth it?  Would you sacrfice a 4-5 prospect type package for the guy?

Could be a package of lots of different players but with log jams forming soon at specific positions, maybe a pacakage like:
DeShields or Springer, Folty, Paredes/Villar, Santana, and Wallace

2013 Lineup might actually be decent:
Altuve
Lowrie
Berkman (if healthy) (DH)
Stanton
Maxwell
Pena (1B)
Pick a Martinez
Castro
Dominguez

Possible 2014:
Altuve
Lowrie
Stanton
Singleton
Some DH candidate (or a Martinez if one should work out)
Maxwell
Springer (if you traded DeShields)
Castro
Dominguez
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:35:08 pm by pots »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Stanton
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »
Nice thought, but I think that they'd want far more than what we have to offer unless we were willing to part with our top three prospects.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »
Nice thought, but I think that they'd want far more than what we have to offer unless we were willing to part with our top three prospects.
I think DeShields or Springer would get their attention, and Folty would be a nice get for any team, but I think you're right, the Fish'd probably demand 2-3 premium guys plus fliers. Which probably means Singleton + Springer along with the likes of Folty, Santana, and Paredes/Villar. Which would be a steep price to pay, and counter-intuitive for a rebuilding team. On the other hand, Stanton is pretty awesome, seems to be getting better every year, and is actually younger than Springer.  So perhaps worth considering if you're Luhnow.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:04 pm »
I think DeShields or Springer would get their attention, and Folty would be a nice get for any team, but I think you're right, the Fish'd probably demand 2-3 premium guys plus fliers. Which probably means Singleton + Springer along with the likes of Folty, Santana, and Paredes/Villar. Which would be a steep price to pay, and counter-intuitive for a rebuilding team. On the other hand, Stanton is pretty awesome, seems to be getting better every year, and is actually younger than Springer.  So perhaps worth considering if you're Luhnow.

Agreed. I'd make the deal even if it involves Springer and Singleton.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:13:25 pm »
Agreed. I'd make the deal even if it involves Springer and Singleton.

I'd try to find a way to keep Singleton.  I feel he's the first baseman of the future.  DeShields could replace Springer as the CF of the future.  But you never know who the Marlins are gitty over.  Maybe replacing Folty with Cozart or adding another pitching prospect they like.   Though hate to cough up Cozart given as he actually will probably see innings this year. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 08:36:40 pm »

I'd try to find a way to keep Singleton.  I feel he's the first baseman of the future.  DeShields could replace Springer as the CF of the future.  But you never know who the Marlins are gitty over.  Maybe replacing Folty with Cozart or adding another pitching prospect they like.   Though hate to cough up Cozart given as he actually will probably see innings this year. 

If I were GM I would consider a trade centering around Springer and Cosart. As you said, DDJ could be moved to CF. Singleton woud be untouchable for me.

jester9450

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 09:41:20 pm »
only if none of the big three were not included singleton,cosart or springer are moved give them the farm.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:07:56 am »
If Stanton doesn't want to play in Miami, why would he want to play with Houston?

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:00:02 am »
If Stanton doesn't want to play in Miami, why would he want to play with Houston?

The big crowds, the high-profile market, the competitive team ... At least we're not dysfunctional?

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:39:31 am »

Given that Cosart is still with the team, I don't think Luhnow cares what a player posts on twitter
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:45:47 am by pots »

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:17:48 am »
Given that Cosart is still with the team, I don't think Luhnow cares what a player posts on twitter

Wasn't that Morrison they had trouble with?  Or has Stanton been an issue, also?

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:33 am »
Wasn't that Morrison they had trouble with?  Or has Stanton been an issue, also?

Stanton reacted pretty negatively on Twitter to the Blue Jays trade.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:25 am »

I missed what Cosart said. Can you summarize?

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:30:11 am »
I missed what Cosart said. Can you summarize?

He's a whiner.  Whines about his girlfiend breaking up with him, but more importantly he whines about organizational moves (moving Kuechel down) that have nothing to do with him, and which were perfectly understandable anyway.  I also remember him taking shots at the Royals or some other team, something about them being the worst hitting team in MLB.  Basically, his shit would be annoying coming from an established MLB player, but it is doubly annoying coming from an AA player.  

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:40:13 am »
I don't think Stanton has any say in the matter at present, but as far as an eventual extension (in this extremely hypothetical situation), I suppose if the Astros start winning in the next couple years he might want to stay longer.

Also, the Astros said they were going to rebuild. They didn't essentially mislead or lie to a bunch of prominent players (and the fans) and then trade them all of the sudden.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 09:50:08 am »
The tweet: https://twitter.com/Giancarlo818/status/268502933832888322
Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple

It was retweeted a mere 14,414 times

Compared to Cosart tweets, where he is questioning management moves, this seems mild.  He refers only to his reaction.  Didn't bash the organization.  Likely should have not been publically but not surpising a player would be upset about that trade.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:11 am »
Well, ok, if Luhnow gets him, he'll be my hero.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 10:10:37 am »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/marlins-will-listen-on-giancarlo-stanton.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I know they don't need the production this year, but you'd have this guy locked up till 2016.  2 years into the Astros supposed competitive years.  It's going to start to get hard to avoid losing talent to the rule 5 draft.  Would packaging up some of the top prospects be worth it?  Would you sacrfice a 4-5 prospect type package for the guy?

Where is this talent you'd be afraid to lose in the rule 5 draft?  Washout rates are amazingly high.  How many rule 5 draftees in the past 5 years have been major league impact players?  Rule 5 fear isn't a reason to trade prospects.

Luhnow is trying to figure out who on the major league roster can be a regular mlb player and who are the pretenders.  Look at the Cardinals rosters from 05-11.  That's the kind of mix he's looking for.
Goin' for a bus ride.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:28 am »
Where is this talent you'd be afraid to lose in the rule 5 draft?  Washout rates are amazingly high.  How many rule 5 draftees in the past 5 years have been major league impact players?  Rule 5 fear isn't a reason to trade prospects.

Luhnow is trying to figure out who on the major league roster can be a regular mlb player and who are the pretenders.  Look at the Cardinals rosters from 05-11.  That's the kind of mix he's looking for.

Lot of guys hit eligibility last year.  I was assuming that another bunch would arrive next year as well.  With a lot of the unprotected risks of this year having another year (likely a level higher) under the belt.  I probably have overblown the rule 5 part of this.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:14 am »
Ben Lindbergh did a nice compilation of would be GM proposals.  Some funny stuff.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/a/19297

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:26:31 pm »
Lot of guys hit eligibility last year.  I was assuming that another bunch would arrive next year as well.  With a lot of the unprotected risks of this year having another year (likely a level higher) under the belt.  I probably have overblown the rule 5 part of this.

The rules have changed since the Johan Santana days.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 12:56:02 pm »
Ben Lindbergh did a nice compilation of would be GM proposals.  Some funny stuff.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/a/19297

I did not know JD had the worst WARP in the NL. 

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »
Nevermind, the more you look into what they are bringing to the table this year the more I look for the fast forward button.  Luhnow's plan sems to be to use the MLB club as a coal sifting factory.  No use throwing a diamond into it, just wasting time there.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:18:57 pm by pots »

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 01:18:31 pm »
The rules have changed since the Johan Santana days.

Not to belabor this much further but losing guys to waiver claims is not much different then the rule 5 draft losses and there have been a lot good players landed that way.  One of the reasons Luhnow gave for not picking up anyone else at this point.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:31:20 pm by pots »