Author Topic: Last Night, I Met an O's Bro  (Read 2096 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Last Night, I Met an O's Bro
« on: November 06, 2005, 10:59:33 pm »
Nice chap by the name of Zack, who spent a year being a Bro.  It's a U of H thing apparently.  The Astros give them dispensation to stand in front of the handicapped seats on the RF terrace deck (as long as no one is holding a ticket for 'em) and to hang their banner.  They buy the $5 cheap seats and then set up in their spot.  They hang out on the Astros' MLB board, and have a lively rivalry with the WolfPack.

It's cool of the Astros to give them sanction (they have a letter from the Director of Marketing that says they can do what they do).  Of course, they were absent for Oswalt's start in Game #3 of the World Series.  Guess who kyboshed 'em...?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Last Night, I Met an O's Bro
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 12:15:21 am »

Quote:

Guess who kyboshed 'em...?  

Illinois Nazis?
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 12:34:58 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Guess who kyboshed 'em...?  

Illinois Nazis?

Bingo!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 04:05:05 pm »
Quote:

It's cool of the Astros to give them sanction (they have a letter from the Director of Marketing that says they can do what they do).  Of course, they were absent for Oswalt's start in Game #3 of the World Series.  Guess who kyboshed 'em...?

Err, I spent the entirety of Game Three standing next to the O's Bros. They seemed more like hippies than UH students, but they did have official-looking badges designating them as O's Bros. They had the banner and put up the K signs to boot.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 04:13:58 pm »
Quote:

Err, I spent the entirety of Game Three standing next to the O's Bros. They seemed more like hippies than UH students

There's a difference?
He breezed him, one more time!

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 04:16:15 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Err, I spent the entirety of Game Three standing next to the O's Bros. They seemed more like hippies than UH students

There's a difference?

I go to UH, there don't seem to be a lot of hippies (certainly at the law school, but in the forays to the rest of the campus, hippies are one of the least represented college group there).

Also, they seemed a wee bit older than most college kids.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 04:36:10 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

There's a difference?

I think you're confusing UH with The University of Texas at Austin.  That sweet smell of "herb" wafting through the air is from Austin, not Houston.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 04:59:33 pm »
more 60s humor from you, Cougar High?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 05:09:04 pm »
Quote:

more 60s humor from you, Cougar High?

60's?  I dont' remember the 60's.  I'm talking about the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's.  I'm not sure if there were hippies at UT in the 60's or not.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 01:38:15 pm »
Quote:

Err, I spent the entirety of Game Three standing next to the O's Bros. They seemed more like hippies than UH students, but they did have official-looking badges designating them as O's Bros. They had the banner and put up the K signs to boot.

I was told that they were not allowed to take their usual (and Astros-sanctioned) space in front of the vacant wheelchair space in the RF upper deck.  They had to be in their alloted seats.

If this is in conflict with your recollection, then I stand corrected as I'm only going by third-hand info.

Cnote

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 08:11:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I was told that they were not allowed to take their usual (and Astros-sanctioned) space in front of the vacant wheelchair space in the RF upper deck.  They had to be in their alloted seats.

If this is in conflict with your recollection, then I stand corrected as I'm only going by third-hand info.

This reminds me?I was at the Astros at Rangers game 2 years ago, Roy-O pitched a 1-0 gem, Beltran robbed Michael Young in the first of a HR just to left of us.  We had front row seats in the upper deck in left center (where the big ass Ameriquest Bell is now) where there are no seats anymore.  The "O?s-Bros" hung their sign in front of us.  The ranger?s ushers made them untie the all the weights aka, "1/2 lbs. deep sea leads", that were keeping the banner from flopping around in the wind, because if they fell 50 ft it could kill one someone below.  

Dude spent the 1st 3-4 inning working on it, he had to untie about 30 of them.  Pissed everyone off we were having to shuffle out of his way.  Then the damn banner was flopping around for the rest of the game.  The first time I ever wanted to punch an astros fan in the face.  Besides that he wasn?t sitting anywhere around us, he sat about 20 rows up in another section.  I've seen that they have a new banner now, so the "O's-Bros" have come along way.  But on that day they could had been a little more courteous to their fellow fans.  I love the concept of supporting your team on the road especially in Dallas/Arlington, but use some GD tact.

On that day the O?s-Bros representative was a 40 something 300 lbs. Jack-ass.

I have wanted to vent that for some time.  Thank you.
Shocks...Pegs...Lucky!